Hermes vs. Bottega Veneta

Great choice crochetbella, the med Veneta is absolutely one of my fav! Do drop by the BV side more often, we're great enablers. :graucho:

Thank you Ms Piggy! Oh yeah, I can tell you all are great enablers! :graucho: After checking out the BV in action thread and others I am already planning a trip to the city next weekend! Just for research, of course... :sweatdrop:

Hey E, no sorry abt butting in. You're as much BV as H. ;) Good to see you again, hope all is well on your end. Miss ya. :heart:

Yeah, just back from a two week business trip. Sorry can't post as often on the road, although I've been reading and catching up. I can't wait for both our Kellys to join our respective collections. I have to admit that I have missed my BV bags after two weeks with my beloved Birkin on the trip and am still dreaming about the ottone cabat. Viva le shopping!

Bottega is all about understated luxury. Bottega and Hermes has similar vision because the current designer for Bottega actually used to work for Hermes. The cabat is more casual and cool while Hermes bags are usually more streamlined and put-together. If exclusiveness is a factor for you, the cabat is made with much more limited quantity than the birkin and every bag is numbered with its number out of the total production. Also, for exotics such as croc and ostrich, the cabat is much more luxurious and expensive than the birkin in the same skin. I guess I'm playing the devil's advocate here but I just feel the cabat is underrated compared to the birkin, although Hermes does provide better leather services and instant recognition.

I couldnt have put it better! The current designer Tomas Maier spent 8 years at Hermes.

I like their hobo bags, for a tote, I'd prefer something that can close. The cabat is a lovely bag indeed but I need a sense of security. However the birkin cannot go over the shoulder.

Or could i go with the leather GP???

Between BV and H GP I prefer BV, I think it's a little more interesting.

As a slight aside, I too like Venetas. I'm currently re-shuffling and streamlining my collection and was thinking about getting a Balenciaga Day for a dark beater bag but after reading about all the recent QC issues I'm thinking that a black Veneta might be a better alternative...:confused1:

I like both H and BV bags. H does great bright colored leather bags. I like the more earth tone colors like browns and greys on BV. I find BV has a more relaxed and understated designs. I particularly like how BV does leather in dark browns which has this aged contemporary look to it.

i am a huge fan of the cabat. it is entirely open but i put my stuff in "pouchettes" and feel quite secure. the bag is very soft so the sides can be tucked in for added security and of course it does go over the shoulder if you wish.
i recently got the victoria ft and am really loving it. it is such and easy bag. fell in love instantly and haven't regretted it for a moment. so i look forward to more hermes purchases in the future.
there are tons of cabat pictures on the bv subforum but i can post mine here if anybody wants.

I love both brands. Overall I prefer H, but one of the things I love about BV is how LIGHT and casually chic their bags are... they're perfect when I don't want the extra weight.

. Also, for exotics such as croc and ostrich, the cabat is much more luxurious and expensive than the birkin in the same skin.

actually that is what i am wondering about. sorry if i sound like a dork but why is their coc cabat so expensive? i fondled one and it was like 75 K it sure was nice but it is croc cut apart not one panel or large piece. is it the workmanship that is very intense and what croc does veneta uses. (of course you pay a premium like with any brand but still)
:shame:

actually that is what i am wondering about. sorry if i sound like a dork but why is their coc cabat so expensive? i fondled one and it was like 75 K it sure was nice but it is croc cut apart not one panel or large piece. is it the workmanship that is very intense and what croc does veneta uses. (of course you pay a premium like with any brand but still)
:shame:

I actually don't like the woven croc cabats; like you said it is croc cut apart which to me is a shame! There is a solid croc cabat available but I've only ever seen pictures of it and have no idea how much it costs. For $75K I'd sooner get a croc birkin/kelly over a woven croc cabat, but then again, if presented with ANY birkin vs cabat I'd go with the birkin :tender:

I love both brands. Overall I prefer H, but one of the things I love about BV is how LIGHT and casually chic their bags are... they're perfect when I don't want the extra weight.

Totally agree. When I switch to my BV Campana from the Birkin, it feels as if I have nothing on my shoulders. The difference in weight is amazing.