Hermes Vintage Kelly - would you buy it?

I have that feeling when browsing between 28 vs. 32, some 32 appear to be less expensive but they do look slightly bigger than what I am looking for

Thank you!! Did you get the bag recently? I saw a few 32 but the price is still ranging from 5-7K. I personally prefer a 28 as I found 32 a little bigger than i need.

Thank you for sharing the thread and agree i have seen many box bags around but shy away from it since i really have no experience with box leather. However, i have been told it is more durable than it looks. The hunt continues 😅

Wow what a good price and rough H is such nice color. Since you have both 28 and 32, if you can only pick one, which one would you go for?
Might I suggest that you take advantage of the very deep resources here, as well as brick and mortar resale stores, to gain an understanding of Hermès sizes and leathers? This will really help you search for a Kelly. I would suggest understanding the difference between sellier and retourné and how each style in each size looks on you - everyone is different in their aesthetic.

As much as I personally love Box leather, it's not for everyone (nor is Courchevel for that matter), so also important to learn the ins and outs of the leathers you might consider. :flowers:

Might I suggest that you take advantage of the very deep resources here, as well as brick and mortar resale stores, to gain an understanding of Hermès sizes and leathers? This will really help you search for a Kelly. I would suggest understanding the difference between sellier and retourné and how each style in each size looks on you - everyone is different in their aesthetic.

As much as I personally love Box leather, it's not for everyone (nor is Courchevel for that matter), so also important to learn the ins and outs of the leathers you might consider. :flowers:
Thank you for the good advice! I definitely check out other resources mentioned and keep everyone’s advices in mind. I know that I don’t want a sellier as i don’t really appreciate the formal look, i am hoping this Kelly to be an every day bag if possible and easily transition to more formal if need be (hence prefer the smaller size). I have a Herbag retourne in 31 and although they are not identical, it kind of gives me an idea of what i like/dislike about the bag. As far as the leather, sadly i don’t have much knowledge about either box or courchevel as I have not seen them in person before. The closest probably epsom as i have a few bags in this leather and much appreciate how durable and light this type of leather is. After all, I am still a newbie and have much to learn but can’t say how lucky I am to have such resources like you all to refer to. Thank you 😊

This really is what you need to do now.
Everybody else's opinions are useful but you do need to look at the market yourself. Always be diligent, but don't be afraid.

I think the price is too high for a bag of that age and because of third party work. I bought a vintage K28 for $6500 last year. The seller never disclosed that there was third party work done but I have a feeling the glazing may have been done by a third party. But I am not mad since I paid a good price for it and the bag looks incredible for the age. If anything, I'd wear the heck out of it until the glazing came off and then send it to H spa or Leather Surgeons f H spa won't take it.

I think with regular wear the corners may revert back to its original state. Ive heard of H spa accepting bags that had 3rd party work--probably inadvertently but it can happen.

Reactions: xsweetdreamx
I think the price is too high for a bag of that age and because of third party work. I bought a vintage K28 for $6500 last year. The seller never disclosed that there was third party work done but I have a feeling the glazing may have been done by a third party. But I am not mad since I paid a good price for it and the bag looks incredible for the age. If anything, I'd wear the heck out of it until the glazing came off and then send it to H spa or Leather Surgeons f H spa won't take it.

I think with regular wear the corners may revert back to its original state. Ive heard of H spa accepting bags that had 3rd party work--probably inadvertently but it can happen.
I think price has gone up a bit as i haven’t seen anything in 6K range for K28 unless it looks really beaten up. Might be possible for K32 however but won’t be as good of a condition unfortunately. Who knows, maybe one day it’ll go down again ;)

Hello, what does everyone think about ardennes as a leather? I see a K32 sellier 1994 in Ardennes in the 8-9K range, great condition, just normal wear and tear, no color retouch. Is it a fair price?

Hello, what does everyone think about ardennes as a leather? I see a K32 sellier 1994 in Ardennes in the 8-9K range, great condition, just normal wear and tear, no color retouch. Is it a fair price?
I think that is a fair range for ardennes. I've owned two ardennes vintage kellys. One is K28 and the other is K32. The K32 was in pristine condition but no lock. I paid about $9500.

• Thanks
Ive never seen k25/28 bags in this 5-7k price range! Everything I’ve seen, even vintage, is around 13k. I am clearly doing something wrong.
In general, these were prices during covid, SIP. I was able to pick up K28s and B30s, with phw (my preference) with fixable cosmetic issues (fixable by professional third party restoration) for between 5-7K USD. I used professional third party restoration bc to my knowledge, Hermes spa will not fix darkened handles or correct sun damage or work on a bags interior. Even Fashionphile had a fabulous charcoal gray box Kelly 35 retourne, phw, for 4K USD, that I could kick myself for not scooping up. (If it had been a 32, I would have bought it)

I do see prices softening, but not to that extent.

The current retail price of a BBK28 is 16K plus USD, so that is something to keep in mind (there is a hefty premium for box leather than one should not spend if you don’t adore box)

Last edited: