Hermes Vintage Kelly - would you buy it?

You were wise to reach out for advice.
The opinions given should encourage you to do a lot more research so that you can be better informed.
It is very easy when one first decides to buy a bag on the secondhand market (where there are many good buys to be had), to get tempted quickly.
My feeling is that the answers to questions are what help you to build up your own knowledge and confidence to make decisions.
They cannot make the decisions for you.

An important part of the initial and continuing value with an Hermes bag is the understanding that Hermes will provide a maintenance service for life on the condition that no unauthorised artisans work on the bag. The option of going to an independent craftsman can be attractive and they can work wonders too. However at some time you might need replacement leather parts or something else that only Hermes can provide.

The nature of impressed leathers is that certain aspects of wear and tear cannot be remedied as effectively as other skins.

Patience is key, I’ve been able to find better spec bags than this on the Japanese market.
thank you. I’ll keep looking around
No I would not buy a repainted bag like this for that price. This looks like the repaint stained the stitching? For a vintage bag, I recommend box leather so long as it’s not dried out. Simply bc it can be refurbished by Hermes to a gorgeous patina.
Sound like everyone agrees a repainted bag is a red flag and should avoid. I have not seem a box leather bag, only on pictures but will explore more. Thank you 😊

Can I jump in and ask - if this bag were in box leather would the price be reasonable or more? Is it the specific leather that makes the price too high?
No it would still be too much: in any leather, except exotic of course. I do think though that prices vary a lot depending on where you’re located: in the US or Asia prices are higher than here in Europe.

No it would still be too much: in any leather, except exotic of course. I do think though that prices vary a lot depending on where you’re located: in the US or Asia prices are higher than here in Europe.
Very true; I would consider paying this (excluding duties, shipping etc) for the right bag in Asia (subject to condition). Above this sort of price point I’m looking for rarity/LE, of leather (especially), or colour, and condition must always be great (minimal or no signs of use).

Very true; I would consider paying this (excluding duties, shipping etc) for the right bag in Asia (subject to condition). Above this sort of price point I’m looking for rarity/LE, of leather (especially), or colour, and condition must always be great (minimal or no signs of use).
Agreed, this is a very desirable size Kelly, and I'd pay that price in the US OR in Europe....for a bag in excellent condition and a better leather, with no repainting. It's well under US retail for a "normal" leather (like Togo), and heritage leathers like Box particularly are even more exorbitant at retail.

I would try look up when the rings for the strap was added. The older ones, I believe don’t have ”double rings”
I believe they were added in 2000/2001 per an SA at my local boutique.

@xsweetdreamx I have a 1999 K32 Retourne in box that is in great condition and was significantly cheaper than the asking price for the K28 you were looking at. I'm confident you can find the perfect vintage bag in your specs for the right price without sacrificing the ability to send it to the H spa for care.

I agree, although i have heard people was able to get one at a lower price, the range I have seen is around 7-9K
This is what I often hesitant when it came to Japanese reseller, the import duty can be such a killer :sad:
Agreed, this is a very desirable size Kelly, and I'd pay that price in the US OR in Europe....for a bag in excellent condition and a better leather, with no repainting. It's well under US retail for a "normal" leather (like Togo), and heritage leathers like Box particularly are even more exorbitant at retail.
I have that feeling when browsing between 28 vs. 32, some 32 appear to be less expensive but they do look slightly bigger than what I am looking for
I believe they were added in 2000/2001 per an SA at my local boutique.

@xsweetdreamx I have a 1999 K32 Retourne in box that is in great condition and was significantly cheaper than the asking price for the K28 you were looking at. I'm confident you can find the perfect vintage bag in your specs for the right price without sacrificing the ability to send it to the H spa for care.
Thank you!! Did you get the bag recently? I saw a few 32 but the price is still ranging from 5-7K. I personally prefer a 28 as I found 32 a little bigger than i need.

My goal is to find one in my birthyear (1989) and I have a local reseller who mention an OK condition black box leather with no strap (as 1989 version doesn’t come with a double D ring) can range between 7-9K. Is that considered a fair price?

If you have a query as to whether a vintage box (or other heritage bag) is worth pursuing, you can also post pics and ask here

I personally think prices of these bags are softening; and I do not consider 7-9K a great price. It would depend on the bag. I also think it’s a bit more complicated if you are set on a particular year. However, current retail of a box 28K (you pay a premium for new box) is 16K plus USD

ETA: Box has become a bit of a collectors item and an acquired taste… not sure when that happened as there is plenty of gorgeous older box out there. I do think older box is nicer, but you have to know what to look for. I would honestly spend more time looking. JMO of course

Last edited:
Thank you!! Did you get the bag recently? I saw a few 32 but the price is still ranging from 5-7K. I personally prefer a 28 as I found 32 a little bigger than i need.
I got my K32 (which does feel bigger than my K28 obviously) in fall 2022. It is from 1999 and does not have a D ring but does have a strap. It is rouge H box with GHW and cost ~$5,500 USD. I sent it to the spa for some H love but have, of course, inflicted my own scratches on it enhancing its story so to speak!

If you have a query as to whether a vintage box (or other heritage bag) is worth pursuing, you can also post pics and ask here

I personally think prices of these bags are softening; and I do not consider 7-9K a great price. It would depend on the bag. I also think it’s a bit more complicated if you are set on a particular year. However, current retail of a box 28K (you pay a premium for new box) is 16K plus USD

ETA: Box has become a bit of a collectors item and an acquired taste… not sure when that happened as there is plenty of gorgeous older box out there. I do think older box is nicer, but you have to know what to look for. I would honestly spend more time looking. JMO of course
Thank you for sharing the thread and agree i have seen many box bags around but shy away from it since i really have no experience with box leather. However, i have been told it is more durable than it looks. The hunt continues 😅

I got my K32 (which does feel bigger than my K28 obviously) in fall 2022. It is from 1999 and does not have a D ring but does have a strap. It is rouge H box with GHW and cost ~$5,500 USD. I sent it to the spa for some H love but have, of course, inflicted my own scratches on it enhancing its story so to speak!
Wow what a good price and rough H is such nice color. Since you have both 28 and 32, if you can only pick one, which one would you go for?