Hermes Vintage Bag Nightmares & Hermes Leather Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Doc, I haven't seen this question asked before, so forgive me if it's a duplicate. I appreciate all that you do, and the time that you give so generously.
My question is, is there any way to get sticker residue off of barenia?

Hi Doc!

I was hoping to get your expert opinion on a bag that I'm thinking of buying that has been pretty well used. It is a well used vintage bag and am hoping with the help of the box leather restoration kit I can breath some good life back into it, but I'm not sure I'm being realistic or if even a trip to the spa is worth it given the degree of flaws. It is box leather so there is a part of me that thinks that means that it's possible? Here's the link with pics or I can try to save and upload them if preferred.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Hermes-vintag...bag-GENUINE-/252043225182?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

I think it is pretty rough shape you would need crack stabilizer from the kit maybe a double dose all along the flap bend... how is the strap? that might be bad as in breaking I didn't see from the photos how it really looks

even with restoration it will have some issues
mainly youll want to make sure its not going to break to bits... ask for more photos of the strap for instance

let me know what you find out

Hi Doc!

I was hoping to get your expert opinion on a bag that I'm thinking of buying that has been pretty well used. It is a well used vintage bag and am hoping with the help of the box leather restoration kit I can breath some good life back into it, but I'm not sure I'm being realistic or if even a trip to the spa is worth it given the degree of flaws. It is box leather so there is a part of me that thinks that means that it's possible? Here's the link with pics or I can try to save and upload them if preferred.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Hermes-vintag...bag-GENUINE-/252043225182?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Hi there,

its pretty rough imo

id ask to see close ups of the straps condition

the bag will always be rough and cracked looking even with restoration

you would need the crack stabilizer in the kit for sure maybe even a double dose

let know what you find out

all the best doc

Hello!

Doc, I haven't seen this question asked before, so forgive me if it's a duplicate. I appreciate all that you do, and the time that you give so generously.
My question is, is there any way to get sticker residue off of barenia?

is the sticker adhesive a stained mark? is it still sticky?
acetone would work but then it will stain or cause color loss to the leather so be conservative and try
Luxury Again Cleanser wipes they can deep clean pretty effectively if the sticker adhesive has been on the leather a long time it might not come out complexly
also the adhesive might have stained the leather.

ill check back... all the best ,doc

Dearest Docride!

As you are the go-to lady for H restoration on this forum I wanted to ask your opinion on a piece I am considering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-H...age-RK09260-/261986763917?hash=item3cffa0c48d

I am in love with Barenia leather and the Evelyne is such a practical bag for daily use so I was naturally drawn to this. There is a lot of spotting though and wonder if there is any improving upon it with a little elbow grease and some H saddle products [or other products]? I can live with darkening of the leather but would like to have it more even without so much blotchiness. I realize it will never be brand new looking and am OK with that but do you think it can be refurbished so that it is somewhat even in tone? Also, there seems to be a slight peel of the leather in one corner. Does the leather seem in overall decent condition to you or is this a bag better left to the donation bin? I thank you in advance for your opinions and appreciate all the knowledge you bring to the forum! :biggrin:

Dearest Docride!

As you are the go-to lady for H restoration on this forum I wanted to ask your opinion on a piece I am considering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-H...age-RK09260-/261986763917?hash=item3cffa0c48d

I am in love with Barenia leather and the Evelyne is such a practical bag for daily use so I was naturally drawn to this. There is a lot of spotting though and wonder if there is any improving upon it with a little elbow grease and some H saddle products [or other products]? I can live with darkening of the leather but would like to have it more even without so much blotchiness. I realize it will never be brand new looking and am OK with that but do you think it can be refurbished so that it is somewhat even in tone? Also, there seems to be a slight peel of the leather in one corner. Does the leather seem in overall decent condition to you or is this a bag better left to the donation bin? I thank you in advance for your opinions and appreciate all the knowledge you bring to the forum! :biggrin:

Im concerned this may not be a straight forward sort of cleanup
sometimes I see photo that makes me think its not barenia leather maybe patina-ed vache natural? and then in some other photos it looks like barenia leather
might be mold damage spotting might be oils but water alone should not do this to barenia leather... sugary fluid might though

suffice to say the bag is rough looking an may have some improvement with TLC however I would not expect a dramatic change....

hope this helps?

Its hard to advise you as to which steps you would need other than first a good cleaning ....

let me know if youll want help restoring and ill try my best to guide you through this challenging project bag
All the best,doc

sometimes I see photo that makes me think its not barenia leather maybe patina-ed vache natural? and then in some other photos it looks like barenia leather
might be mold damage spotting might be oils but water alone should not do this to barenia leather... sugary fluid might though

suffice to say the bag is rough looking an may have some improvement with TLC however I would not expect a dramatic change....

hope this helps?

Its hard to advise you as to which steps you would need other than first a good cleaning ....

let me know if youll want help restoring and ill try my best to guide you through this challenging project bag
All the best,doc

Thank you Doc! I really appreciate you taking a look at it. I may have to give it a pass since it seems like it could require a lot of work with possibly very little results. I don't expect a perfect bag [in fact I like a bit of a worn it look] but I don't think I would be happy if the spots remained as noticeable as they are after refurbishment. I wish it was better news but I guess the price is too good to be true HAHA. Thanks again!

Thank you Doc! I really appreciate you taking a look at it. I may have to give it a pass since it seems like it could require a lot of work with possibly very little results. I don't expect a perfect bag [in fact I like a bit of a worn it look] but I don't think I would be happy if the spots remained as noticeable as they are after refurbishment. I wish it was better news but I guess the price is too good to be true HAHA. Thanks again!

There are many out there to choose from... happy hunting!
doc

hope this helps?

All the best,doc

Doc- if someone wanted to take on this project, which of your Luxury Again spa kits would be the appropriate one to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.