Hermes Vintage Bag Nightmares & Hermes Leather Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
:PYou've made me feel better...I was worried about the areas between the scales..if that is normal, I won't worry about it...yes, it feels soft, supple..I have been conditioning the bag...this is a load off my mind... Hugs:hugs:

Good follow up...everything sounds just right..let me know how your super buff out and resulting shine works out :smile:

hi! i hope the experts can give me some advice on whether the marks on this wallet can be cleaned.
should i use Apple conditioner on epsom?
Thanks so much!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110524316599

Hi there, you have some missing color..cleaning will not bring the color back..in fact using a cleaner conditioner on these areas will most likely make these areas more of an eye sore...you might want to just clean with a Lexol PH leather wipe and then do a small amount of color touch up with a matching Tarrago color dye.. You got a great and rare bearn at an awesome price..I would not use conditioners at this point...:smile:let me know how it's going...

Doc, I have been have trouble finding the perfect red Birkin. I have been eyeing this bag since it was listed. It is bj. Can it be dyed to a bright red? What are to pros and cons of this project? How must would you charge for a project like this? Thanks!
http://cgi.ebay.com/PERFECT-GEM-HER...tem&pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item4cef22182c

Hi there, this is a great bag...I would not advise dying it to a bright red...it do not think you would end up with a nice result..for numerous reasons..I dye when a bag is in need of color touch ups (keeping the bag to it's original color) or when a bag is too scary to keep original...(ie badly stained and Hermes wouldn't touch the bag because it's so bad)
I would keep looking...your perfect red Birkin is out there....:smile:

^^^I felt that tranforming it from blue to red was going to be a difficult task. Thanks!

I prefer if using dye to totally change the color to only use non acrylic based dyes..which are like plastic coatings which layer on top of the leather and you would lose the lovely hand feel...I prefer to use professional dyes (ie professional oil tan or analine or alcohol based dyes) these are more like stains they must be layered and for the best results you must go darker rather than lighter...ie if you have lt blue some of that quality would come into the red so you would have a slightly blue based red as a result...and the red would need to be very deep and dark red...not the bright cherry red like Rouge Rif or Garrance you are looking for...think black cherry,darkest Rouge H,etc...
For bright reds on a white or non colored bag (ie Vache Natural) you could concivably go to a bright red...using professional dyes (like I have mentioned) for bright reds on other colors your only option is acrylic based dyes..which are not so nice. I hope this helps?:smile:

Doc - pebbled leather question.

I have read that pebbled leathers, treated to be waterproof or at least more water resistant, should not be treated with oils and moisturizers as this will open the pores and destroy waterproofness.

However, leather needs conditioning, right? At least older leather does. What if anything do you do or recommend for pebbled leathers?

Hi there, you have some missing color..cleaning will not bring the color back..in fact using a cleaner conditioner on these areas will most likely make these areas more of an eye sore...you might want to just clean with a Lexol PH leather wipe and then do a small amount of color touch up with a matching Tarrago color dye.. You got a great and rare bearn at an awesome price..I would not use conditioners at this point...:smile:let me know how it's going...

Thanks so much docride! i will try to track down those products you mentioned.
I missed out on a Kelly in the same combo a couple of years back, so i couldn't resist this wallet! :nuts:

Doc - pebbled leather question.

I have read that pebbled leathers, treated to be waterproof or at least more water resistant, should not be treated with oils and moisturizers as this will open the pores and destroy waterproofness.

However, leather needs conditioning, right? At least older leather does. What if anything do you do or recommend for pebbled leathers?

Hello, I would not classify all pebbled leathers like this^^^

Textured leathers may be embossed (a heavy stamp is used to make a pebbled or other textured surface from a smooth one) or you might be looking at a pebbled surface which is natural and this comes from a naturally textured part of the hide i.e. shoulder for instance...

Each leather regardless of texture may be tanned and treated in any number of ways... all are infused with oils when starting with the raw hide...the degree of tumbling and breaking and oil infusion is different per leather type...in general the higher the oil content of the hide the more weather resistant... some leathers are sprayed down at the tanner with color coats and water resistant treatments as well...but some are not...

Perhaps, the best way to handle your question is on a case by case basis..ie show me the leather or describe it...for instance:

Embossed leather LV Epi,Hermes Epsom,Chanel Caviar, etc...

Heavily oil tanned/infused Hermes Barenia,Ralph Lauren saddle leather

Natural pebbled leathers include Hermes Clemence and Togo,many Coach pebbled leathers,etc...

I hope this helps somewhat...let me know a bit more about what you want to work on and perhaps I can help you further?:smile:

Thanks so much docride! i will try to track down those products you mentioned.
I missed out on a Kelly in the same combo a couple of years back, so i couldn't resist this wallet! :nuts:

You can find the Tarrago color dye at www.shoetreemarketplace.com

You may need to order a couple of near match purples and possibly pinks to custom mix a match...
:smile: let me know how it goes...or if you need any help:smile:

Hello Docride!

I am hoping to get some of your infinite wisdom. I just bought a gorgeous loved ardennes birkin, and within the first 48 hours of owning her, my dog jumped up to say hello, and scratched the front! You can imagine my horror. It's a pretty superficial scratch and you have to be in the right light to see it, but it is driving me crazy! Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Quick question doc, I've printed the directions for weather proofing box calf. Can I do the same for tadelakt? Thankyou in advance....

Hi, It's just weather protection, not total weather proofing..ie your leather can still breath :o) and still should be wiped down if it gets wet...
As for Tadelak, it is a very oil saturated leather..it really should not need Obenauf's at all... It really should not need anything for quite some time..if however you feel you must do something, you can use Blackrock Leather n Rich , but always do check a small hidden area to make sure you like the results and always remove the excess immediately.
Cheers,doc

Status
Not open for further replies.