Hermes Sylvania mushroom-based leather

I’ve seen and touched the bag. It looked papery and I originally thought it was some kind of cellulose-based material. Touch-wise, it’s a dryer touch than leather but nothing unpleasant about it. Certainly no smell that I could detect, although I’ll admit I didn’t stick my head in it :lol:
View attachment 5027665
As you can see on the front, there’s a faint scratch so I believe it will be Barenia-like in its aging, with marks becoming a patina of sorts.
Thanks for the higher resolution image! Very curious to see how this would age.

I have looked into some day owning an Hermes bag but being vegan I couldn't find a cruelty free option that I liked. A few years ago I visited Fashionphile to look at a bag in person. It was a felt Evelyne. I like to have fainted when they handed it to me. $1k+ for something that looked like to me like a craft project. :amazed:
While not exactly a fan of the style of this particular bag I hope they expand to other silhouettes :tup:

I’ve seen and touched the bag. It looked papery and I originally thought it was some kind of cellulose-based material. Touch-wise, it’s a dryer touch than leather but nothing unpleasant about it. Certainly no smell that I could detect, although I’ll admit I didn’t stick my head in it :lol:
View attachment 5027665
As you can see on the front, there’s a faint scratch so I believe it will be Barenia-like in its aging, with marks becoming a patina of sorts.
Wow, that looks pretty good actually. Is that white canvas and also trimmed in some sort of dark silver metallic leather? I like it! And if it aged and felt like leather, I would totally be open to the mushroom stuff but it sounds like it doesn't quite feel like leather. :hrmm:

Wow, that looks pretty good actually. Is that white canvas and also trimmed in some sort of dark silver metallic leather? I like it! And if it aged and felt like leather, I would totally be open to the mushroom stuff but it sounds like it doesn't quite feel like leather. :hrmm:

It's the signature beige canvas, and the leather trims were indigo barenia, IIRC. I thought the texture was interesting, and I'd love to see how it wears, but if you're a fan of, say, Togo/Clemence, I'd say this Sylvania isn't necessarily for you. :flowers:

Edit: color corrected

Last edited:
Reactions: kai_415
View attachment 5027665
Are the handles and zipper leather? I am assuming so.

100% here too. I definitely have no love for knowing animals died when I enjoy my bags and SLGs, but can’t quite give up the quality (my resolution is to buy only what I’ll really use to try and lower the uselessness).
If Hermes quality came to vegan goods I’d be first in line!
It'd be a great alternative for vegans.
@Lejic I’d be second in line! My family has recently become vegan not for environmental or health concerns, but because we want to continue to less suffering in the world. But of course I love H. What to do?! So for now my solution is to buy H only preloved, the older the piece the better. If H comes out with an alternative I will be very excited!

I am definitely interested. Cactus leather is a thing as well: https://desserto.com.mx/home
I heard of this recently. Looks promising.
Cork, apples, mushrooms, I am open to all non-leather, non-plastic materials for bags. Think it’s fantastic if H can find an option that’s not the Amazonia disaster.
What’s this Amazonia disaster? Can you point me to some links or phrases I could google?

View attachment 5080726
They are indeed. Just found the card they’d given us. So the trims are Evercalf (not Barenia as I said previously).
so this wouldn’t work for vegans but it’s moving in the right direction!

What’s this Amazonia disaster? Can you point me to some links or phrases I could google?
Hermès used a canvas coated in natural rubber for a line of bags. The rubber would dry out, could not be refurbished and ended up crakcing. Compare the wear and tear on the leather parts (lighter color) of this bag with the rubber parts (from fashionphile):
qdwe.jpg