Hermes Sylvania mushroom-based leather

I love it and am glad that they now are offering a cruelty free option. I also hope that H bringing out non leather bags will make more people at least educate themselves on bags that are not made out of leather so that I never have to hear " pleather is just pvc" again.

There are now more options out there and they mimick leather more than plastic. I hope that this is more sustainable than leather too, but couldn't find enough background information on that.

I’ve seen and touched the bag. It looked papery and I originally thought it was some kind of cellulose-based material. Touch-wise, it’s a dryer touch than leather but nothing unpleasant about it. Certainly no smell that I could detect, although I’ll admit I didn’t stick my head in it :lol:
416FDC3C-E452-4231-9E8E-993678F38990.jpeg
As you can see on the front, there’s a faint scratch so I believe it will be Barenia-like in its aging, with marks becoming a patina of sorts.

I’ve seen and touched the bag. It looked papery and I originally thought it was some kind of cellulose-based material. Touch-wise, it’s a dryer touch than leather but nothing unpleasant about it. Certainly no smell that I could detect, although I’ll admit I didn’t stick my head in it :lol:
View attachment 5027665
As you can see on the front, there’s a faint scratch so I believe it will be Barenia-like in its aging, with marks becoming a patina of sorts.

No opinion about the bag but it's cracking me up that they've got a microphone pointed at it... Do they expect it to make a speech? :biggrin:

Not a fan of the idea, I'm a leather junkie:biggrin: And I don't think I would buy a Hermès bag at today's prices if it's made of mushrooms. Also I don't think there will be leather shortages until humans will eat meat. Not in my lifetime, anyway.

Having said all this I'm still curious to check it out, if it will be produced!
I absolutely agree! I would not be interested in any bags made from mushrooms.

100% here too. I definitely have no love for knowing animals died when I enjoy my bags and SLGs, but can’t quite give up the quality (my resolution is to buy only what I’ll really use to try and lower the uselessness).
If Hermes quality came to vegan goods I’d be first in line!
I suppose as long as people are eating meat, there will be leather available. I need to give a lot of though to buying an ultra expensive bag from a mushroom. However, I completely understand the environment concerns.

Not a fan of the idea, I'm a leather junkie:biggrin: And I don't think I would buy a Hermès bag at today's prices if it's made of mushrooms. Also I don't think there will be leather shortages until humans will eat meat. Not in my lifetime, anyway.

Having said all this I'm still curious to check it out, if it will be produced!
Agreed. Appreciate the innovation behind H trying new things. There is something to be said for that. However, I don’t think it will be as luxurious as real leather or last as long. Imitations almost never are. Fake fur is another example; no matter how much better people say it has become over the years it still can’t compare to the real thing.