Hermes Subforum Project!! **Update page 11**

jag

O.G.
Jan 18, 2006
As many of you already know, hermesgroupie's leather book has been an excellent reference for all of us. The time has come, however, to update the thread with new pictures and any additional leathers that need to be added.

This is where we need everyone's help.:tender: Please post a close-up picture of the leather/skin on the body of your bag and post it in this thread (without a watermark) so that we can take that picture and use it to replace the pictures on the thread:

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-reference-library/reference-hermes-groupie-s-leather-book-49095.html

Our goal is to get one example of every type of leather/skin and post a 300 x 300 square in the above thread. This still active post is a perfect example of what we are looking to do: http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-r...roupie-s-leather-book-49095-2.html#post904815

Everyone's participation is GREATLY appreciated! The more participation we have, the better our reference section will be for all of us to enjoy!
:nuts:

Feel free to ask or PM me or the other H mods if you have any questions or would prefer to send us a picture privately. THANK YOU!!!!!! :flowers:

ETA: We are also happy to have nice close-ups of crinoline, toile, panama, canvas....if they make a bag out of it, we would love to see it!!! We will edit out duplicates, etc...but the more the merrier!!

Last edited by a moderator:
For your reference, here is the post that is a perfect example of what we want to do:

Courtesy of Hermesgroupie:

(1st 2 pics) -
FJORD:

A vache, or adult cow hide. It has a wider, flatter grain than togo or clemence. Somewhat heavier as well. It has the advantage of repelling water off its surface. I have seen this bag in rain and the droplets have slid off.

(3rd pic) -
VACHE LIEGEE:

An adult cowhide, this is a natural grained leather. It has been stated on this forum that the leather is stretched in 8 different directions. Apparently this process gives the leather its rigidity, which is why its touted as being as durable as box. The two-tone effect is a result of a 2 dye process. The grain makes this leather scratch resistant, but care must be taken in avoiding deep scratches. The 2 tone effect will be difficult to regain with deep scratches.

(4th pic) -
CHEVRE DE COROMANDEL:

Goathide that is characterized by its pronounced spine pattern down the middle of the skin. Like most goathides, it is lightweight, scratch resistant, and has a sheen to the surface that gives the skin an iridescence. It absorbs color well.

(5th pic) -
CHEVRE MYSORE

Another goathide but with a less pronounced spine pattern than coromandel. Lightweight, scratch resistant, and iridescent, it is known for making colors "pop".

Attachments

• Example 1.JPG
    Example 1.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 142
  • Example2.JPG
    Example2.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Example 3.JPG
    Example 3.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Example 4.JPG
    Example 4.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Example 5.JPG
    Example 5.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 134
Would like to add : please upload the pics as attachment here instead of via links to photo holding sites. This way, it keeps the pics on the forum and all members are able to view (some sites are firewalled).

Thank you and bring them on!!

Great project!

Black Togo DONE

ETA The thumbnail looks exactly like the Togo appears to the 'naked' eye. The close up shows the grain to a much better effect though.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC09994.JPG
    DSC09994.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,620
Thank you in advance, we are so grateful for your help!!! :heart:

ETA: Cross post with MaiTai!!! THANK YOU for kicking this off for us!!! :yahoo:

Raisin BoxDONE and Rose Shocking Chevre Mysore DONE

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Rose Shocking Chevre Mysore.jpg
    Rose Shocking Chevre Mysore.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 174
Pink Swift DONE

Thank you JAG and MS PIGGY for such a fun and educational project!!!:ghi5:

Attachments

• Swift.jpg
    Swift.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 172
I added a note to the first post, but want to emphasize that we would also love reference pics of toile, canvas, etc., anything used for bags!!

:flowers:

etoupe CDC DONE

DSC_2046.jpg

hmm..if the pic is not clear enough i'd be more than happy to take more. Thanks for letting us participate in this great project!

Nice project! I'd love to help but I'm not sure if this picture is clear enough (if not I can try it again in daylight tomorrow :smile:).
Here is a picture of Ebene Evergrain:

attachment.php
DONE

Attachments

• SP_A3217.jpg
    SP_A3217.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,546
Dalmation - black/white?

DONE

Can anyone tell me how you take closeup photos of smooth leathers eg boxcalf/barenia? It is just not coming out!

Attachments

• IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 776