Hermes scarf for an interview?

r1ta_s

Nov 21, 2006
Well, it's like a pre-interview meeting. I am going to meet a VP at Fortune 100 Tech company. I plan on wearing theory khaki pants, a black top, and black fitted knee length J.Crew coat. Would a Hermes scarf look appropriate? Or would it look casual?

I would appreciate your opinions.

Mods, if this is not the right place please move it. I'm posting it here because I think the ladies here wear H scarfs so elegantly and would know the occassions to wear them.

Thanks!

Wear a H scarf and change the pants. Khaki is too casual IMO, unless this is the type of tech company where the principals wear old Gap clothing.

Last edited:
ITA w/ gracekelly-khaki is too casual. H scarf is fine if it is understated. I would use bias fold or up around the neck, not draped. Good luck with your interview!:flowers:

Since you asked:

I would never go to an interview for any job in anything other than a suit or smart separates (and if you knew the way I like to dress most of the time you would know I don't take kindly to corporate dressing). An interview is the time to express efficiently, aspiration and keenness to be liked and looked up to and not personal creativity or comfort.

As Lanit stated already a Hermes scarf tied 'properly' (i.e. not to draw attention to itself) will look great. Make sure the 'Hermes, Paris' is not showing, you want them to look at your face when speaking/listening to you and you confident overall appearance. Those that know know and those that don't, don't need to ;)

I agree with gracekelly, lanit, and papertiger - khaki trousers are too casual for this kind of meeting/interview. A H scarf is completely appropriate, if, as the others have said, it is worn in a 'classic' manner -no cowboy knots! Just swap the khaki trousers for a tailored pair of grey or black ones and you'll be fine - good luck :flowers:

Since you asked:

I would never go to an interview for any job in anything other than a suit or smart separates (and if you knew the way I like to dress most of the time you would know I don't take kindly to corporate dressing). An interview is the time to express efficiently, aspiration and keenness to be liked and looked up to and not personal creativity or comfort.

Seriously agree with this. I have done a fair share of interviews for my company in the last few years so speaking from my point of view, the khaki sounds really too casual unless the company is really into the casual dress code thing. It's better to be over-dressed than to be under-dressed, I think. H scarf is fine but if the interviewer is a guy, he probably would not have much clue or notice it at all. I would rather spend time choosing my outfit carefully if I were you.

And be yourself and good luck!

I've heard that even though Tech companies are casual, the same does not apply to people that are being interviewed. The interviewer can be in flip flops but do not go too casual unless you think you can really impress them with your credentials.

No Khaki pants and I agree with the other members on putting a classic look with the scarf. As long as the scarf doesn't draw too much attention, it gives a refined look to the overall outfit and you'll look professional. Something like an Ascot knot would be great. Good luck.

I've heard that even though Tech companies are casual, the same does not apply to people that are being interviewed. The interviewer can be in flip flops but do not go too casual unless you think you can really impress them with your credentials.

No Khaki pants and I agree with the other members on putting a classic look with the scarf. As long as the scarf doesn't draw too much attention, it gives a refined look to the overall outfit and you'll look professional. Something like an Ascot knot would be great. Good luck.

Yes it is true that most tech company employees are very casual at work. In fact, I have a friend who worked at a tech company and he said that wearing a polo shirt with khakis was considered dressing up!

For an interview, I agree with PaperTiger in that you can't go wrong with a suit. And personally, I wouldn't wear at 90cm or even a 70cm Hermes scarf to an interview. I'd probably wear a gavroche instead.

I wouldn't wear a scarf that is too bright or had a design that was too "messy" when tied. And definitely not with the "Hermes Paris" words showing.

If you could though, try to find out what the usual dress code is at this company? If they are usually in jeans and polo tees, then ditching the scarf may be a better idea. Just wear a suit, minus the scarf.

I agree with everyone. It is always better to be dressed a bit more business that too casual.

Off topic, but I was looking at the executive leader team online where I work and was thrilled to see one of the female execs wearing a H scarf!!

OP, can you clarify on the pants? I'm asking since I have a tailored Theory wool suit that's a khaki/stone color and I'm wondering if that's what you meant rather than cotton twill chinos (which is what I think most people think of when you say khaki).

I've heard stories of potential candidates (at tech companies) not even making to the actual interview b/c they were overdressed. Check out the culture of the organization and take it up a notch.

I would wear an H scarf for an interview if the color enhances your hue.

I guess you chose that black tops because you know you look great in that.
Then, even you look great in black, shiny silk in the colors that makes you look great would definitely upgrade the look of your face healthier and brighter. And for that purpose, an H scarf would do the best job, because the sheen of the thick, beautifully woven silk twill fabric of H is unmistakably better than others.

As everybody said, I would keep the amount of that accent color modest, just around the neck or in ascot style.

Many people say that when they wear H items, they feel happier and more confident. Some people even say that H items bring them lucky! So, why not use it for your interview, dear!

Good luck!!! :flowers:

Are we talking Silicon Valley? I am a pretty conservative dresser and am a lawyer not a a techie, but my inclination would be go to without a scarf at all. I have a ton of H scarves and wear them often, but I am not sure they'd fit right into that culture. On the khaki pants - are these slacks or more like chinos/Dockers type of pants. Slacks are fine I think but I wouldn't wear khakis that are super casual. Maybe just a simple necklace...until you get the job and then you can wear scarves as often as you like!

Good luck at the interview!!