Hermes leathers for rainy climates.

Sorry ladies. I just found the info about the rain. It seems to be ok with rain if I immediately wipe it out.

Because Clemence is not advisable with the water so I wonder if baby wipe will affect to the leather? [emoji848]

I don't know where you heard that clemence is bad in water. Seriously, I would like to know who told you that, because that is completely wrong and I'll bet they have no experience with clemence.

That is how misinformation spreads.

I have carried both Togo and Clemence through downpours with no problem. In May DS2 had a day-long field trip in the rain so my bag was getting rained on for hours. Zero problem.

Clemence is FINE in water.
Togo is FINE in water.
If anyone tells you otherwise, they are wrong.
Wiping it dry doesn't hurt, but if it blisters, it is not Togo or Clemence.
I have 15 years personal experience with various H leathers: Togo, Clemence, Epsom, Chevre, Swift and Vache Liegèe.

I don't know where you heard that clemence is bad in water. Seriously, I would like to know who told you that, because that is completely wrong and I'll bet they have no experience with clemence.

I have carried both Togo and Clemence through downpours with no problem. In May DS2 had a day-long field trip in the rain so my bag was getting rained on for hours. Zero problem.

Togo is FINE in water.
I have 15 years personal experience with various H leathers: Togo, Clemence, Epsom, Chevre, Swift and Vache Liegèe.

I found on many websites as bragmybag, purseblog etc. They all say the same about water and blister though.

Box leather will blister, I've had it happen and it's not a pretty sight. My clemence bags have been wet with no problems. I give them a quick wipe down when I can and they're fine.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate that. Sometimes it's best to have someone input that has the experience instead of normal info from the website. Thanks again and have a nice day. [emoji4]

I found on many websites as bragmybag, purseblog etc. They all say the same about water and blister though.

I'm really sorry that they gave you the wrong information. Whomever it was absolutely did not know what they were talking about. Box will blister; Epsom sometimes; and dont even think about getting the croc/gator wet. Clemence and Togo can get soaked. If you have any doubts, I am willing to get my bag wet on purpose and make a video of it!

My Clemence Kelly has unfortunately been through rain and even an incident where a champagne bottle popped and spilled all over it. It has been fine and never blistered or stained.

I was just telling my SA that while my H bags are expensive, they are some of my lowest maintenance bags! I try to buy Togo and Clemence for this reason.

Reactions: Txoceangirl
Hello ladies, I need to know if anyone owns Clemence and have you had any problem with the rain or water? I just got a Birkin in Clemence and I heard that this type of leather will become blister when it touch the water. I only have Togo and Epsom and never have Clemence before.

Also I normally clean my bag with baby wipe. Can I use this with Clemence?

Thank you for your help.
My Clemence experience (some of you know this story):

I was on a flight to Mexico and my Clemence Evelyne was sitting against the bulkhead in front of me. The airplane galley sprung a huge leak and the first two rows of first class filled up with disgusting dirty water. Everything on the floor was soaked through. And by soaked through, I mean dripping. I tried to blot my bag with paper towels, but even once I was off the plane and walking through immigration, water was still dripping from the leather. There was no way to dry it and i had a two hour drive ahead, not like I was headed anywhere I could dry it off.

The only result to the bag is some slight loss of shape because it was full, and there was nowhere else for me to put my things. The leather itself is perfect and you cannot tell anything happened. it IS a black bag, but we all know it's easy enough to see damage on a black bag.

FYI, the Sombrero leather Ulysse inside the bag was damaged, although not as horribly as one might think. It didn't blister but it looks pretty beaten up.

This bag was dripping wet for several hours (as was I!!) with no recourse to any way to get dry. I have also had my gold Clemence B caught in rain many times. Clemence does NOT blister in water. It's a wonderfully tough leather.
What blisters in leather is generally the finish that is applied rather than the actual leather, which is one reason box and Epsom have more issues. Actual cattle get wet a lot :P

Do NOT use baby wipes on your H bags. Lexol PH leather wipes are great on Clemence and can lift out new light staining, such as denim transfer.

What happens is that the same information from the Leather Guide Book in the Reference section was copied incorrectly, Box info was attributed to Clemence. Then it was copied into the other websites repeatedly and comes up in searches. If you want to research leather, the best place to do it is here on the Forum in the Reference section. Most of the other websites you mentioned including the PurseBlog post copied the wrong info. Purseblog was corrected I think but it still comes up in searches.

I have a 20 year Clemence bag that I wear specifically if it's going to rain. It's the best!

Last edited:
Gosh I had no idea epsom blisters! I thought one of its advantages was that it went well in the rain provided one cleaned or wiped it down as soon as possible!

I'm sorry to add to your confusion, but I have heard of people who have had this problem and people who have not.

I personally had an Epsom Kelly wallet that blistered on more than one occasion; I remember sadly discussing it here on TPF years ago when it happened, but while some people had the same experience, others have not. Perhaps it depends upon the batch or the year? Who knows.

For the record, I would treat all Epsom like it will blister and dry it off immediately if it gets wet. The damage was not immediate as it would be with croc/gator, but if I didn't get to it fairly quickly (within 10 seconds) it would be too late.

Togo is FINE in water.

Totally agree!!!
Actually I got caught in the rain with swift and it was ok as well!

Totally agree!!!
Actually I got caught in the rain with swift and it was ok as well!
I've been caught in fairly heavy rain with Swift too and nothing bad happened. I think most H leathers are fine - it would be kind of insane to make bags that can't get a little sprinkle on them. I understand box because it's from the days when ladies did not carry their nice bags walking around all day outside. But these are utility products too, they should survive rain.
I own nothing Epsom except an agenda that I use as a passport case, and I have never gotten it wet, so I only know what our wonderful members say about Epsom in rain.

Reactions: NOIRetMoi
I've been caught in fairly heavy rain with Swift too and nothing bad happened. I think most H leathers are fine - it would be kind of insane to make bags that can't get a little sprinkle on them. I understand box because it's from the days when ladies did not carry their nice bags walking around all day outside. But these are utility products too, they should survive rain.
I own nothing Epsom except an agenda that I use as a passport case, and I have never gotten it wet, so I only know what our wonderful members say about Epsom in rain.

I travelled with my Epsom Constance and bolide, and was caught in the rain as well. Nothing happened. I figured only box can't be used under the rain. I always wipe them down once I settled in a dry place though.