Hermes Epsom or Togo leather

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I am still new to Hermès but Epsom would be my least favorite choice, just like Taïga is my least favorite leather at Louis Vuitton.

Sofiko likes this.
  2. lulilu likes this.
  3. Epsom's not water-resistant. I would take Togo out in the rain (and do) but not Epsom. Of course, it's not ideal to soak any bag, but I have any Epsom SLG with water marks and no marks on anything Togo I own including Birkins and Kellys.

On the briefcase question and why it would be rereleased in Epsom, Epsom is lighter and less expensive than other leathers, and I don't think most briefcase-wearers put their bags through as much as a B35 tote goes through.

Lots of folks love Epsom and in the end it's really a personal choice, but you can see most folks here are recommending Togo in this specific case.

papertiger and golconda like this.
  4. My husband is looking to get a briefcase and he would much prefer the structured Epsom to the more tactile Togo, which suits a more slouchy look. Epsom corners don’t wear out that fast, it will be years. if not decades before they show visible wear. Also to clarify, when I said Epsom is water -resistant, perhaps I should have said water - tolerant. I would not go scuba diving with Epsom , yet because it’s coated it’s easy to wipe off water droplets or even coffee splashed...

Etriers, SDC2003, Pimpernel and 2 others like this.
  5. Togo!

6. Personally I’d go with Togo.

7. Hello guys! I bought Birkin Gold 35 Togo GWR. I’m so happy!

Attached Files:

eckw, luvprada, honey and 15 others like this.
  8. Gorgeous!

Karyteee likes this.
  9. Very nice! I’d also choose Togo over Epsom in a B every time, but this is even more true when the color in question is Gold. Personally I think Gold suits the more “natural” look of Togo much more than Epsom.

eckw, baghagg, pinkorchid20 and 2 others like this.
  10. Certainly Epsom can look more formal, Togo and heavily grained leathers can look more casual. For a very smart appearance Epsom and the other pressed leathers look sharp for work.

Etriers likes this.
  11. Looks lovely, Gold will be a good workhorse colour too

Etriers likes this.
  12. I prefer Togo but have had several Epsom bags/SLGs

I still think there was a bad batch of Epsom a few years ago. I had a wallet that bubbled up when it got wet. However, my Epsom K has handled rain with no problem at all.

Etriers likes this.
  13. Togo looks gorgeous

14. My SA actually told me Epsom can be easily fixed. Now I am not sure.

15. Wow that’s a very beautiful bag, wanted to get my first birkin too in the same as yours in Paris for my bday, but I don’t know if I will get in luck, love your b