**Hermes Chat**

Hi all, wasn't sure where else to post, but a random question for those of you with a mixture of Birkins and Kellys (Kellies?) in your collection - did you "mix and match" as your collection went along, or did you collect one style and move on to the next?

First world problems - I am very lucky to have collected a few Birkins; but the number of varietals of Kelly bags has always scared me a little bit so I am thinking hard about what to request from my SA, knowing that I'd be grateful for at least one Kelly/shoulder strap bag in my collection. Unlike the Birkin, which I think looks quite similar in aesthetic regardless of the size or sellier/retourne, I feel like each Kelly has its own vibe.

I like bigger bags so have gravitated towards B30/B35 - maybe K32 is the obvious place size-wise, but they are somewhat hard to come by. I just wondered how others in my position thought about curating their collection.

Aiming to visit a few resellers to get some ideas, but always grateful for this forum's advice!
When I got my first Birkin, I was unsure about the Kelly. Thought it might be old-fashioned or something 🤣 Bwahahahaha.
I do not want to count my Kellys now. ( Edit: I just did and it's actually more than I thought :facepalm: ). The shoulder strap plus top handle combo, the fact that nothing will spill out, the timelessness of the design - hands down my favorite bag. I love Birkins but just a few totes is enough for me.

(A small whine).

These are my last few days in state, so I thought to try the local boutique again before leaving.

I selected some shoes to match my bag, they were out of stock in my size. I tried on a few pairs of another color and thanked the SA. When I was putting my shoes back on, I started asking more questions, but when I turned around, the sales associate had already taken the shoes that fit to the back. I wanted both pairs, the one in the store and to order the one out of stock! Why take it to the back? Normally, they set it on the counter. The store wasn't particularly busy either.

The logical question arises: why didn't I ask the SA to bring the shoes back out? Well, this has never happened before. At Chanel, LP, and my personal favorite, Birkenstock, they always leave the fitted shoes out until I'm ready to make a purchase. I have two pairs of Orans, during that sale I was allowed to try on a few and select the ones I wanted. They didn't take them to the back mid-shop.

(Of course, I'm only huffy online due to the anonymity of it all).

My spending gently touches many stores across the states and my experiences have all been positive. At this store in particular, however, it feels bothersome every time.

When I got my first Birkin, I was unsure about the Kelly. Thought it might be old-fashioned or something 🤣 Bwahahahaha.
I do not want to count my Kellys now. ( Edit: I just did and it's actually more than I thought :facepalm: ). The shoulder strap plus top handle combo, the fact that nothing will spill out, the timelessness of the design - hands down my favorite bag. I love Birkins but just a few totes is enough for me.
so true - plus I find that kelly is a chameleon - it changes function depending on size, and style. sellier feels completely different to retourne... 32 is a different animal to 25 and so on...also does Kelly pochette count as a kelly?
by the way once and for all please someone tell me the correct spelling for retourne or retourner or retourné kelly???:facepalm:thank you!

@ny.lon I don't Have a collection as such - but do own several kelly bags - and I do find them very easy to use, day to night, work to say eating out, traveling etc

@ladysarah thank you for asking this and @QuelleFromage thank you for answering this!!

I coincidentally went down a rabbit hole of googling this topic this morning haha because I thought I misremembered my 3 years of high school French classes…this was all spurred on by my intrinsic shuddering when I heard an influencer on YouTube say “re-torn”

• Thanks
Reactions: QuelleFromage
so true - plus I find that kelly is a chameleon - it changes function depending on size, and style. sellier feels completely different to retourne... 32 is a different animal to 25 and so on...also does Kelly pochette count as a kelly?
by the way once and for all please someone tell me the correct spelling for retourne or retourner or retourné kelly???:facepalm:thank you!

@ny.lon I don't Have a collection as such - but do own several kelly bags - and I do find them very easy to use, day to night, work to say eating out, traveling etc
Retourné. The bag is turned inside out = Le sac est retourné.

(That way the seams are hidden in the inside of the bag and invisible. But I guess you all are familiar with this process in making a Kelly retourné.)

• Haha
Reactions: QuelleFromage
On the back of retourné, is it Jige or Jigé? I read somewhere the name of the bag is a play on the alphabets JG which will be pronounced Jigé but I don't usually see the accent on the e?
It's Jige. Because it's pronounced something like "zheezh". If the spelling was changed to Jigé, it would be pronounced something like "zhee-ZHEH", because the é is not silent.

At the moment my perfect bag is a K25 because it’s all I have 😆 but honestly I can’t imagine needing more space. What do people carry (if not for work)? I suppose a full skin care regime if I wanted to freshen up?
Actually I am curious too, from the opposite direction. If I carry just a calvi and my phone, I put them in my coat jacket along with a pack of tissue and a lipbalm. No need for any bag at all. I am known to go out just with my phone (DH drives, hehehe).

I struggle to imagine how one carry a very small bag (smaller than B 30 or K28) and nothing else (ie no cloth tote bags for other things like water, book/kindle, extra glasses/sunglasses, etc).

My guess is some people drive or be chauffeured around. So water bottles, etc are in the car. Some cities are such that there are posh toilets around everywhere that one doesn’t need tissues. Most obviously of course, people are different with different needs.

I sat opposite a B20 recently, full crammed with essentials. While they fit, it wasn’t a good look IMO.

To answer your question, I hate multiple bags on me so I have to carry one that fits my stuffs. And besides the usuals, I carry an umbrella, sunglasses, small toiletries bag for mini sunscreen, lipbalm, tissues, wipes, and water bottle. I've seen someone carry a phone holder for the phone, an MK for 'essentials' and a tote bag for others. It gives me an itch.

Last edited: