HELP! What's the benefit of owning a luxury purse?

Honestly, I think the "benefit" depends solely on the person carrying it. For example, I love the classic Chanel bags and there just isn't another bag on the market that looks exactly like their flaps. It benefits ME because it is something I love and carry often.

To some people, there isn't a benefit. Yes, the quality is great but after a point, I freely admit, you do pay for the name. There isn't anything wrong with that but the true benefits are a personal thing IMHO.

I believe that a designer bag is worth every cents because of it's longevity, knowing that it won't fall apart. The bags I choose to spend lots of money are the ones to me are classic and will never go out of style. I also agree with others that a bag makes an outfit.

As women, we carry our life in our bags. Many of us would not, could not leave the house without our bag. When you have something so closely attached to you at all times, it is nice to reach for a bag that looks and feels so wonderful and brightens up your day. If things aren't going so well, I can reach over and pat my beautiful bag. When I go somewhere, it helps me get better service if I am carrying a nice bag.

As others mentioned, if you don't have time to dress up or if the occasion calls for jeans, you are still quite put-together with a nice bag. It is a part of the outfit, more than an accessory.

Our bags are an extension of ourselves. My bag is my right arm. I would not want just any right arm. I have not spent over $800 on a bag yet either, but only because I am a single unemployed mother of 2. As soon as I get the job I have been looking for, I am getting a $2700 Louis Vuitton Suhali leather Lockit, and maybe a Trevi or Tivoli too. I have loved purses since I was 7 years old. They are wearable art.

gettinpurseonal--I don't think the answer to this question can be articulated better than what you just wrote. We absolutely do carry our lives in our bags, and I know I can always count on a stunning piece of arm art to liven up any outfit, no matter how simple it is.

I think the question at hand can be applied to any luxury item from diamonds to cars to furniture. For commuting every day, a ford focus will do the job, but if you're spending 2 hours a day in your car, wouldn't it be nice to have a smooth, luxurious car with a bose stereo, navigation, comfortable seats and power everything. As for jewelry, cubic zarconia sparkles and shimmers, but diamonds are timeless, never lose their luster, and can be passed on from generation to generation. We live in a society where we spend an obsene amount of our lives working to make the money to lead a comfortable lifestyle, and we want to reward ourselves with the luxuries we dream about. For us pursebloggers, our objects of desire just happen to be handbags :smile:

when you say luxury I assume you mean classic. because a bag by a young designer that is over 1k is not luxury in my book.

well, in that case it last for years and years and there value increases with time. Hell, it came even be a family heirloom if you want. and no matter the trends they will always be in style.

when you say luxury I assume you mean classic. because a bag by a young designer that is over 1k is not luxury in my book.

LOL that's sooo true :roflmfao:
i've been drooling some zac posen bag but that costs near 2000 and i don't want to spend that much on his bag no matter how much i love it.
the only brands i want to pay for over 1k are LV, chanel, balenciaga, hermes. i don't even want to pay over 1k for a MJ, miu miu or prada LOL

Well the advantages of a luxury purse over a cheap purse are that it will last longer, be of better quality and generally have a style that will stand the test of time better than a cheap one.
I've come to the conclusion over the years that it is quality not quantity that matter, and if you can buy one beautiful purse that will last you 20 years or 5 less exciting ones that will only last a few months, you'll be glad you got that one and not the 5 in the end.

I agree with everyone else. It's really about quality and the lasting power of the bag. Also there are classics that you can use for years and even give to your kids to use. I have a LV Speedy I bought 4 years ago and I still use and plan on using for years to come. Same goes for all of my other "luxe" bags.

I'm very young (straight out of college) and i look it. i have a full time job in which i need to impress lots of men and women who have been working for years--designer bags give me the extra oomf i need in my confidence!

Hello All:

I was hoping to get some feedback from the purse forum community.

I'd like to hear about what benefits there are to owning a designer purse? What does it do for you?

Thank you very much,
Anthony
personally I thin kits the quality of bag you have. Its not something that will look ratty after a few months and if looked after will last you beyond years.

I have to agree with just about everything that has been posted in this thread. I especially liked the post about how some people never leave home without a bag, that we carry a substantial part of our lives in our purses. That would be me!! Today I pulled out my Kooba Sloane and am still admiring how well made it is;especially the finishing details. Plus after owning it for about a year it still smells marvelous. Makes me feel marvelous, makes me proud to own such beauty,even if I'm the only one to notice and appreciate it's nuances.

It depends, and now that "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster" has revealed the unscrupulous tactics used by LVMH and other companies, you really need to spend wisely.

Plenty of lines are expensive just so they can be a "luxury" brand, and quality may or may not be a major concern. I wouldn't touch Burberry, Coach, Brahmin or Kooba, for example, because they charge more and more and more and are mostly if not totally made in China on the cheap. As a consumer, I feel like I'm getting royally ripped off.

Some companies also aren't producing the same type of quality that they used to (LV, Goyard and Gucci are examples), and I think it behooves the consumer to buy something in person rather than blindly from a store/boutique--especially if you get a store credit instead of a refund.

I don't need or want to own a whole slew of designer/luxury purses because they'd be, mostly, a waste of money. I purchased one Ferragamo because it was beautifully made and very distinctive. My LVs can be carried for years and will never go out of style. There are two Hermes bags I'm considering saving up for, and that will be a serious splurge I'm unlikely to ever repeat.

Overall I suppose there's no massive benefit per se. I just like certain bags, I never buy trendy, and in the end, it's all about what "I" like and no one else.