Help! What dress to wear to NYC wedding??

savvyblonde

Love LV
O.G.
Aug 24, 2006
Southern California
Hi all!:flowers:

I really need help here...I'm a Native Californian going to a wedding in NYC in May and I am clueless on what kind of dress to wear. Color, Style...you name it! The only thing I do know are my handbags LOL!

The event is semi formal (?) Jewish-Muslim...I have racked my brain and can't think of a thing!

TIA for any help:heart:

addicted

O.G.
Jan 17, 2006
Daytime or evening wedding? What colors do you have in mind?

I'm biased here, but DVF has so many pretty dresses.

savvyblonde

Love LV
O.G.
Aug 24, 2006
Southern California
Late afternoon/eve.....my S.O. suggested I wear white with a bit of color....that scares me. I was thinking black LOL! I'm guessing I should wear something light? I'm sooo clueless.
Thanks!

addicted

O.G.
Jan 17, 2006
As I recall, I don't think it's appropriate to wear white (so as not to show up the bride).

I always like black as my safety net. But maybe go for a color, like blue or fuschia? Since it's evening, it's ok to wear dark IMO.

Joke

Sep 23, 2007
I always rule out two colors when it comes to weddings:
white (don't want to offend the bride)/ black (it's a fun fun fun event!).

So I'm saying go with color. Especially this spring/summer there are lots of dresses out there in other colors then white or black.

keya

Jan 5, 2006
I'm facing the same dilemma, and I know that here, white is a no-no (the bride's color, I assume this includes cream too), as is black (apparently, if you wear black to someone's wedding it's supposed to mean that you wish the couple bad luck :shrugs:) I discussed this with a friend recently, and she told me she'd watched a wedding etiquette show on tv, where they said you couldn't wear red either. I don't know why :shrugs: Either way I've decided to stay clear of those colors just in case (:P), but is wearing gray ok? I'm getting a pair of pink pumps and I'm thinking I could wear them with a gray dress.

Unfortunately I don't really have any tips for the OP, I guess it depends on how formal the wedding is. :flowers:

claireZk

Jun 18, 2007
Keya- ITA, white and cream are definitely a big no-no! Black is okay for NYC weddings though. I had never heard not to wear red, but maybe it's because it will steal attention away from the bride :shrugs:

The location and time of day will determine what kind of dress to get. I just heard that unless an invitation says "white tie," you don't need to (and probably shouldn't) wear a full length gown. I live on the East Coast and I wear black cocktail dresses to almost all weddings. I never feel under/over dressed..