Help! What dress to wear to NYC wedding??

savvyblonde

Love LV
O.G.
Aug 24, 2006
Hi all!:flowers:

I really need help here...I'm a Native Californian going to a wedding in NYC in May and I am clueless on what kind of dress to wear. Color, Style...you name it! The only thing I do know are my handbags LOL!

The event is semi formal (?) Jewish-Muslim...I have racked my brain and can't think of a thing!

TIA for any help:heart:

Late afternoon/eve.....my S.O. suggested I wear white with a bit of color....that scares me. I was thinking black LOL! I'm guessing I should wear something light? I'm sooo clueless.
Thanks!

As I recall, I don't think it's appropriate to wear white (so as not to show up the bride).

I always like black as my safety net. But maybe go for a color, like blue or fuschia? Since it's evening, it's ok to wear dark IMO.

I always rule out two colors when it comes to weddings:
white (don't want to offend the bride)/ black (it's a fun fun fun event!).

So I'm saying go with color. Especially this spring/summer there are lots of dresses out there in other colors then white or black.

I'm facing the same dilemma, and I know that here, white is a no-no (the bride's color, I assume this includes cream too), as is black (apparently, if you wear black to someone's wedding it's supposed to mean that you wish the couple bad luck :shrugs:) I discussed this with a friend recently, and she told me she'd watched a wedding etiquette show on tv, where they said you couldn't wear red either. I don't know why :shrugs: Either way I've decided to stay clear of those colors just in case (:P), but is wearing gray ok? I'm getting a pair of pink pumps and I'm thinking I could wear them with a gray dress.

Unfortunately I don't really have any tips for the OP, I guess it depends on how formal the wedding is. :flowers:

Keya- ITA, white and cream are definitely a big no-no! Black is okay for NYC weddings though. I had never heard not to wear red, but maybe it's because it will steal attention away from the bride :shrugs:

The location and time of day will determine what kind of dress to get. I just heard that unless an invitation says "white tie," you don't need to (and probably shouldn't) wear a full length gown. I live on the East Coast and I wear black cocktail dresses to almost all weddings. I never feel under/over dressed..