HELP: "Unfortunately, we need a little more time to make a decision."

J. Fisk

O.G.
Aug 20, 2007
I found a bag I wanted on eBay. I messaged to seller to ask more questions. She assured me of the bag's excellent condition and that she had only used it three times. I hit BIN.

I received the bag very promptly; however, it is not in the condition that the seller described. I messaged her about a full refund (and I'd send the bag back) or a partial refund. I sent her 21 photos of all the issues with the bag that she did not describe. She wrote me back claiming that the photos could not possibly be of the bag that she sent me.

I opened a case. She responded with a partial refund offer (smaller than what I originally asked), which I rejected. I escalated the case.

Seventy-two hours have passed. Now eBay says, "Unfortunately, we need a little more time to make a decision. Expect an email from us soon." What does this mean?! I thought this would be a pretty straight forward SNAD. In the couple other times that I have opened SNADs in the past, they were very quick.

I called eBay a few hours after escalating the case because there was some info I regretted not saying. Namely, that the damage on the bag is clearly from wear & tear; i.e., not damage I could have caused in the day the bag was in my possession. I called too because I'm very worried the the seller will try to blame me for the damages and wanted to learn if she could appeal, etc. Hopefully the nature of all the damages is obviously wear & tear in the photos....

None of the damage is evident in her auction's photos; however, it was an auction posted using eBay Mobile, so I assume she used a phone camera that didn't capture the same amount of detail an actual camera would capture (I won't make the same mistake of buying a bag posted using eBay Mobile!!). I regret not noting that too when I escalated the case.

I'm just really worried. Has anyone been in a situation like this? Could it be because of MLK Day? I really appreciate any insight!! Thank you all in advance.

You can try calling back & speak with a supervisor & explain that there
is more damage on the bag then your pics show.

They are probably waiting for the seller to respond before making
a decision or reviewing the pics that she had in her listing.

Were your messages back & forth thru ebay?? So they can at least see
your questions about the condition of the bag..

Keep us posted

I called eBay again!! While on the phone, I got an email from eBay giving me the return label. I checked my eBay account. I literally JUST won the case!! I am so relieved.

Now:
How do I ensure that the seller won't appeal upon receiving the bag (since she already claimed that the photos of the bag I received were not photos of the bag she sent me)?

THANKS!

Yes, my messages were through eBay.

And if this is helpful for anyone: http://ocs.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CustomerSupport&format=1&pid=417 Through there is how I was always able to talk to someone.

You don't know that she won't appeal or fight this..

But more likely she will have to accept the decision & she knows that the
bag is being returned to her..

Let's just hope she doesn't refuse the package or have it sit at the post
office for a period of time...

Keep us posted

office for a period of time

Keep us posted

there is a way to counter this. make sure when you return the item, there is a tracking number and keep a receipt that has the date you posted the return.

i had a seller did both the above to me before. luckily, i still kept the receipt. i knew somehow it will come in handy. do keep track of the failed deliveries (if any) and alert ebay/PP of the seller's tactics.

Keep us posted

If you return and tracking shows refusal, you just call ebay/pp and they'll refund you. She can't refuse the return as a way to get out of the refund.

While I don't list using Ebay Mobile (I am waaaaay too inept with those Smart(er than me) Phones I do use my phone to take some darn good Ebay pictures. I have seen some good quality listings using mobile. Some sellers just don't know what pictures to take. I was looking a snagging a bag cheap today because the seller had such a bare bones listing. She answered my questions promptly and included multiple pictures each time. I kept thinking to myself Ebay gives you 12 free photos (IDK if that is true for mobile or not) why didn't you include them :confused1:

Yes, there's no excuse for bad/ not enough pics these days ! Phones have such great cameras now. I don't' use Ebay mobile to list either as I prefer to put more effort in and do things properly, Mobile listings always seem so...bare.

If you return and tracking shows refusal, you just call ebay/pp and they'll refund you. She can't refuse the return as a way to get out of the refund.

I remember the thread just a short time ago about the buyer who
bought a Tiffany lamp that arrived broken.

She was really given the runaround for many weeks before
her refund was processed & was frustrated that the seller
wasn't being cooperative. (Thread was started in Oct & this
particular buyer finally got her refund Jan 15 2013)

The seller just didn't want to pick up the package & had many
excuses as well.

Would not like to see this happen again..

This seller is claiming that the bag is in a different condition
than what she sent the buyer, so you sense this seller
might be diffficult.

So OP should have online tracking as well as keeping the date
of the return & if the seller doesn't pick up the package or
refuses it, hopefully she will get her refund processed promptly
rather than being subjected to a seller who may not be picking up the
package. And doesn't the po only hold a package for a period
of time if it can't be delivered & then its return to the sender??

Sellers can do some weird things when it comes to having merchandise
returned.

That's all I'm saying...

Last edited:

Keep us posted

She just messaged me twice. Message #1:

When are you shipping out the eva clutch you've purchased from me, im awaiting the package of the eva clutch, all i ask it to send me back the clutch shown in the listing, not the one of the photos youve submitted to ebay. let me know when expected date of delivery is. youll be in my prayers!. horrible, how one can be so dishonest, but again ILL LEAVE IT IN GODS HANDS!! GOD BLESS YOUR POOR SOUL :smile:

Message #2:
oh and lastly, if I do not recieve the eva clutch in the condition I sent it to you just know I will file a police report. i have all the info i need ive pulked off ebay, just being courteous and wanted to let you know in advance. have an awesome day!! and again may god be with you!

I should show the other messages that this crazy has sent me. I would love to see the messages she submitted to eBay during the case escalation.

What do I do, though, in terms of defending myself (against possible police involvement, etc.)?

While I don't list using Ebay Mobile (I am waaaaay too inept with those Smart(er than me) Phones I do use my phone to take some darn good Ebay pictures. I have seen some good quality listings using mobile. Some sellers just don't know what pictures to take. I was looking a snagging a bag cheap today because the seller had such a bare bones listing. She answered my questions promptly and included multiple pictures each time. I kept thinking to myself Ebay gives you 12 free photos (IDK if that is true for mobile or not) why didn't you include them :confused1:

ITA with this. i have seen people say that no one would seriously consider taking detailed pics of an item with a cellphone and i have wonder what kind of awful old phone they have!!:graucho: mine takes excellent detailed pics that i have used for showing online - not on ebay. i am not a seller. i have even printed some from phone to computer and framed them and you would never guess it was from a cellphone.