Home & Garden Help finishing living/dining room

Me too! It will be very elegant! I love your furnishings now and adding subtle color and a few bold patterns - like a chevron - your rooms will be stunning!

Have you checked out Houzz.com? It has a ton of rooms for inspiration!

GL and post updates. I can't wait to see what you do!
Hi, yes I subscribe to Houzz they have the best looks......I need to add some layers to the room.....would love for subtle color but want room to more very elegant.

Stunning, love you style and your decorating is so unique and lovely. Your home looks very serene. Are you looking to add color with pillows, curtains or paint on the walls? I really like the calm vibe the room gives off so personally I would not add color in bright tones but stick to soft pastels.
Hi, thanks was exactly look I was going for......I am looking to add pillows and something to go on either side of the chrome chest. I would totally love for entire room to be layers of cream.

Missie, first off, your home is so elegant and serene. You have wonderful taste. I'd like to offer another suggestion. I notice that you have white tulips placed in several different areas. How about using flowers for that subtle pop of color? They would be reflected (I think) in the wall sunburst and duplicated in the other areas. Use the SAME color in each. Keep it serene. I could envision a pastel pink or soft lavender. (or mix) You could change the colors and your rooms would always have a new vibe. Whatever you decide, given what you've already chosen, I'm sure it will be beautiful. (As you are from your pic)

Missie, first off, your home is so elegant and serene. You have wonderful taste. I'd like to offer another suggestion. I notice that you have white tulips placed in several different areas. How about using flowers for that subtle pop of color? They would be reflected (I think) in the wall sunburst and duplicated in the other areas. Use the SAME color in each. Keep it serene. I could envision a pastel pink or soft lavender. (or mix) You could change the colors and your rooms would always have a new vibe. Whatever you decide, given what you've already chosen, I'm sure it will be beautiful. (As you are from your pic)
Summer luv, thank you for compliments. I go into the city on Saturdays for the Farmers market. They have great fresh cuts there. I will pick up a pastel and we can see how it looks. I will be removing the current pillows from the sofa as well.....until saturday

Your home also reminds me of the look that www.wisteria.com/Furniture/departments/1001 shows on their online website.

I could see some of the things from this store working in your house.
Accessories:Aqualife Pillow covers mixed with sold linen ones
Decorative ogjects: Sea Treasure Jar- Glass jars with soft white/tan shells. My SIL has many around her house and they are so pretty. Natural things from nature as accent pieces.
Some of the vases here are also pretty.
The one flower wall art in pink is nice. I think a soft flower photo wall picture print is great. I have bought many nice original photos from www.Etsy.com and have a theme of women in the ocean wearing white lace dresses.

I still think layering white on whites/cream will give you the calm better than major pops of color. But it depends on the look you want. My formal living room has whitewashed Pergo floors, white Ikea chaise loungers and chairs, a whitewashed armiore with mirrors from Restoration Hardware and whitewashed side table. I have silver mercury glass lamps. Accents on the wall are photographs from a famous photographer of women in the desert wearing white lace dresses with white horses. His work was originally featured in Vogue for these pictures but he released them to buy and I had one made that is probably 4 by 3 feet on the wall in back of my couch. I have white linen and crochet balloon curtains on the 2 windows so alot of light is in the room and it is calm. I did paint the ceiling light blue to pick up colors from the photos but all the walls are white as well as the chair rail and ceiling moluldings. I bought Rachel Ashwell Cabbage Rose -blue roses on very light linen throw pillows for the furniture. After seeing your room I feel I can continue with the silver mercury glass/silver color in more accent pieces.

I think the idea of flowers for color is nice because you can change them around. I have bought pink, white, lavender, and perwinkle blue silk hydrangeas in a glass vase with the fake water and rocks on the bottom as a huge centerpiece for my dining room table a few years ago. It was stunning.

Your house really seems so perfect right now. I wouldn't do any major changes but keep the serene feeling with light touches. Perhaps a tablecloth for the table and throw for the couch along with pillows.

Also if you have Home Goods in your area I find them a great sorce for beautiful accent pieces for the house, their pillow section was huge, nice art too. Good luck. I would love to see pictures of your other rooms.:smile:

Last edited:
Just wanted to share the art I bought for my formal living room.
www.Allposters.com Alfred Saerchinger artist I bought four canvas prints of the women with the white horses. The one of the woman standing alone with the white horse was blown up to the 4 X 3 foot print and framed in whitewashes wood with glass. All my art was done in canvas. I bought it from another site.

For my formal dinning room also done in all white with a pink ceiling I did photographs I bought of women at the sea in white lace dresses. My favorite was from www.Pegandawlbuilt.com I had the large size done in the photo called Incunnabak. It is a woman standing out looking at the sea with a wedding dress on the sand. It is a stunning piece. I also bought 2 smaller photos one was called Aries and the other is almost just like it. I have other photos from Etsy to go with these. One wall had all the photos and it looked stuning. I had everything in black frames with white mats but recently took them down to paint all the frames white. I am also painting the walls a brighter shade of white since they were done more of a creamy white and now that I got the wood trim put on the walls, ceiling moulding and around the windows in gloss white I want to carry this clean white on the walls. I only have a dinning room table and pottery barn white desk in the room right now along with a chest of drawers that will end up in another room. I have plantation shutters on the windows. I will eventually take pictures once the painting is done and pictures are rehung. The only accent color is the pink ceiling which I have had so many compliments on. I thought I would paint it back to white but I really love it too much.
I wanted to share the art so you could see the look I was trying to get with the theme of the art work. I have a few shell pieces as accents and some small whitewashed frames with pictures of my children on the tables. I got rid of all the clutter and color in the rooms. I wanted tranquility and calm when you sit in the rooms. My dinning room table is more of a natural wood medium tan color which I bought from Restoration Hardware but I am going to paint it white with Annie Sloane chaulk paint and do a clear wax then dark was antique finish on it to make it light versus wood. My benches and chairs are white washed too.