HELP!! Doing exchange with seller, start Paypal claim??

Thank you all for your advice and help. Very much appreciated!!

I guess perhaps I should have made myself clearer in my title (but sorry, I've never started a Paypal dispute/claim before). I was wondering if I should start a Paypal dispute (not yet escalated to a claim yet), just so that Paypal is put on alert and can put a hold on the money that I've paid. And also that there is a clear record of all that transpires between myself and the seller. If I were to receive the exchange item, then I can tell Paypal to close the dispute and the funds will be released. But if I don't receive it, then I can escalate to a Paypal claim and hopefully get the money back.

Loganz, I understand what you're saying, from a business owner's point of view, esp one with an actual physical store. But I think what the others are trying to point out is that in ebay, it's so much easier for crooks to do what they do, and they can just disappear with the money and item. Moreover, my seller has less than 10 feedback, so it's not like I can take comfort in his good feedback record.

Well, the seller is supposed to revert to me early next week, hopefully all will be well. I will keep everyone posted.

Just 1 more question, if the seller refunds you, does it mean that the funds are cleared, ie. I definitely do have the money back? cos I think I've read somewhere that a refund can be reversed?

Hi Peppy,
Sorry to hear about the problem. Here are my two cents on the issue as an avid Ebay powerseller as well as buyer for the last 5 years.

1. You definitely need to return the bag but dont forget to put tracking on there so that you have proof of delivery back to the seller (Paypal will not refund you as the seller can simply say that he sent it to you).

2. Definitely initiate a paypal dispute ( but not a claim) as Paypal should be aware of the exchange. IMO you should simply return the bag and get the money back as you arent confident in this transaction. Exchanges can be a big problem as sometimes crooked sellers will show to Paypal that they re-sent the bag but instead end up sending fakes/damaged/or the same goods back to you. This time around you wont be able to get any help from Paypal as they only let you open a dispute once and the case will be closed as all they need is a confirmation of delivery.

3. If you decide to go ahead with the exchage, dont close the complaint and wait till you recieve the bag and if you are satisfied close it. IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED, send it back and notify Paypal and escalate it to a claim.

If you have questions, dont be shy about PMing me.

Good luck !

I have accepted a couple of returns (didn't like the color, bag too heavy), and the buyer always returns the bag before I refund the money. Think of it from the seller's side: If he or she returns your money, you will have the money and the bag. How is the seller to know that you won't keep the bag and the money? It's the same position on either side.

Return the bag, insured, with delivery confirmation. Send it priority so that it gets there as quickly as possible. I have always refunded on the same day that I received the bag in the same condition it was mailed.

Actually, I have only once been asked for a refund and that was due to the buyer's girlfriend leaving him and rather cruelly rejecting the bag he'd bought (from me!) for her, and in that case I refunded and then asked him to return the bag. Maybe it was the circumstances, but it seemed to me that being lumbered with an unwanted bag after all he'd been through was too much. . . but I guess those were unusual circumstances. Incidentally, I got the bag back the day after I refunded his money and then sold it again the following day!

Actually, I have only once been asked for a refund and that was due to the buyer's girlfriend leaving him and rather cruelly rejecting the bag he'd bought (from me!) for her, and in that case I refunded and then asked him to return the bag. Maybe it was the circumstances, but it seemed to me that being lumbered with an unwanted bag after all he'd been through was too much. . . but I guess those were unusual circumstances. Incidentally, I got the bag back the day after I refunded his money and then sold it again the following day!
Wow you refunded before getting the bag back, you took a chance i would never risk that! Glad it all worked out well! Poor guy!

Wow you refunded before getting the bag back, you took a chance i would never risk that! Glad it all worked out well! Poor guy!

You're right it was a huge chance and I am not sure I'd do it again - I am, I admit though, a complete sucker and I am learning slowly to be a bit more streetwise and sensible about things on Ebay which sometimes seems like the virtual equivalent of a trading wild west!

You're right it was a huge chance and I am not sure I'd do it again - I am, I admit though, a complete sucker and I am learning slowly to be a bit more streetwise and sensible about things on Ebay which sometimes seems like the virtual equivalent of a trading wild west!
Yes just be careful as sometime you could get a sob story which just might not be true! I am a sucker for a sob story but have learned to err on the side of caution on ebay,too many tricksters out there althought I have to say that 99.9% of my buyers have been fabulous!