Help! Celine box bag cracking/ hard leather

Feb 24, 2012
Hi ladies! I was wondering if someone could give me advise on my new celine box bag which I bought pre loved. Is it normal for leather at the back (which I assume is bent a lot from the bag opening and closing) to get hard and cracked. I see it happening on one side of the bag (attached pictures) but the leather is still smooth on the left side. I’ve barely used the bag and because the leather is delicate I’m worried of causing more damage. What do you guys think?65852C9D-4FE5-4257-BCB2-5C343B934239.jpeg

9BF95856-4A7A-43A0-9F2C-7632A244202D.jpeg

BD5E0F5E-4933-4F7E-BFB0-15047F5C80E0.jpeg

I am not a box leather expert by any means but it looks dry. Do you like in a dry climate? Do you have a humidifier in your home? To me it looks like the leather may be getting dry and brittle.

I am not a box leather expert by any means but it looks dry. Do you like in a dry climate? Do you have a humidifier in your home? To me it looks like the leather may be getting dry and brittle.
I live in the UK so it is quite dry here... should I buy a humidifier or use some conditioner on the bag? I was reading online that you shouldn't treat the box leather so I am so worried about messing it up, but you are right it feels veryd ry and hard at the side Thanks in advance!!

I live in the UK so it is quite dry here... should I buy a humidifier or use some conditioner on the bag? I was reading online that you shouldn't treat the box leather so I am so worried about messing it up, but you are right it feels veryd ry and hard at the side Thanks in advance!!

The UK is not considered try nor humid. It's temperate but may be a humidifier indoors will help counter central heating (if you have it) as our indoor heating makes our living environment quite dry.

I wonder if on occasion it was near a specific heat source, closer one side than another?

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
mine looks similar!! its brand new and its quite stiff when opening. It's only creasing on the right side which is really strange. this is in the teen size btw!

OH at least it is not me with the same issue! I think if I keep using the leather conditioner it should prevent it from getting worse... It may be something I have to live with as I can't really access my items in the back pocket without opening the flap fully which is probably what is causing the creasing/cracking :sad:

Hi ladies! I was wondering if someone could give me advise on my new celine box bag which I bought pre loved. Is it normal for leather at the back (which I assume is bent a lot from the bag opening and closing) to get hard and cracked. I see it happening on one side of the bag (attached pictures) but the leather is still smooth on the left side. I’ve barely used the bag and because the leather is delicate I’m worried of causing more damage. What do you guys think?View attachment 4983309

View attachment 4983310

View attachment 4983311

That's not cracking (which means separation, a breaking away), it's wrinkling.

Real leather wrinkling.... it's just what it does. Just like linen creases, it's a mark of quality.

Definitely I'd be using a leather conditioner on the bag so it doesn't crack eventually.

But it def ain't cracked.

Hello, I have the same issue with my new bag in Teen size. I wonder how is your bag doing, I hope it did not crack. Please let me know. I would be grateful for your answer!
Hello! Unfortunately I sold my box last year as I found it too heavy and the strap dug in etc. so I won’t be able to comment on the cracking now but when I sold it, it wasn’t cracked. I put a lot of leather conditioner on to help “soften” it so maybe try that? x