Help--adoption presents for boys!

Especially since you mentioned that they have a track record of losing expensive items, I think it might be better to spend that money on a special experience to commemorate the official adoption? That's wonderful that they know about your passion for LV; I'm just wondering if they're making those suggestions to your husband because they know YOU love it, but they might not necessarily be as passionate?

As others have already suggested---maybe a family trip would be much more special this time around? :smile: If they love sports, perhaps trying something you can do together that you might not normally do (scuba diving?) or if they love amusement parks, get VIP passes so you can skip the line!

I would wait till they are older and more responsible with expensive items. At 15 I wanted to go to Disneyland with my friends. Maybe plan a Disney trip or some trip as a family. I think that more appropriate for them and show your love to them. They should love a trip to Disney or anything exciting for them as a family.

Hi everyone! Thanks for such thoughtful responses. We are actually going on a big family vacation to SoCal celebrate the adoption, with lots of fun, teen-friendly activities planned including Disney. Making memories is definitely the priority :smile:. In addition to our trip, I also want to surprise them with a little gift for the actual adoption date.

First of all, I totally understand the concerns re: practicality. The kids currently do not have any luxury items, but I am certain that they would love and appreciate an LV item. They have lived with us for 4 years now, and at one point in time have each begged for something when we go into the boutique. The 15 year old especially is always pointing out when he sees other men wearing an LV belt, wallet, etc. We live in a neighborhood where lots of their friends have small luxury goods, but I keep telling them they are too young. I tell them when they work hard and save as an adult, they too can purchase such items. And my own collection is pretty modest (currently 3 LV handbags and a few SLGs), so it's not like we're an extravagant family that splurges a lot on these kinds of things. Which is why I think they'll be even more surprised!

I really wanted to get them something with some staying power--something they can keep for years to commemorate this big life event, which is why I'd like to stay away from shoes or tshirts that will get worn down in a short amount of time. Of everything, they are most excited to change their last names, so hotstamp is necessary and what made me consider this purchase in the first place.

They are too young to really carry wallets now, but do carry keys to/from school plus their school ID. That's why I was leaning toward the 6 ring key holder. However, I think in the years to come, the pocket organizer may get more use and a wallet seems like a more "traditional" gift.

Hi everyone! Thanks for such thoughtful responses. We are actually going on a big family vacation to SoCal celebrate the adoption, with lots of fun, teen-friendly activities planned including Disney. Making memories is definitely the priority :smile:. In addition to our trip, I also want to surprise them with a little gift for the actual adoption date.

First of all, I totally understand the concerns re: practicality. The kids currently do not have any luxury items, but I am certain that they would love and appreciate an LV item. They have lived with us for 4 years now, and at one point in time have each begged for something when we go into the boutique. The 15 year old especially is always pointing out when he sees other men wearing an LV belt, wallet, etc. We live in a neighborhood where lots of their friends have small luxury goods, but I keep telling them they are too young. I tell them when they work hard and save as an adult, they too can purchase such items. And my own collection is pretty modest (currently 3 LV handbags and a few SLGs), so it's not like we're an extravagant family that splurges a lot on these kinds of things. Which is why I think they'll be even more surprised!

I really wanted to get them something with some staying power--something they can keep for years to commemorate this big life event, which is why I'd like to stay away from shoes or tshirts that will get worn down in a short amount of time. Of everything, they are most excited to change their last names, so hotstamp is necessary and what made me consider this purchase in the first place.

They are too young to really carry wallets now, but do carry keys to/from school plus their school ID. That's why I was leaning toward the 6 ring key holder. However, I think in the years to come, the pocket organizer may get more use and a wallet seems like a more "traditional" gift.
As a former teacher kids this age leave or lose everything including keys, wallets etc. What about just buying belts. Depending on the size you choose they should be able to wear them for years to come, and belts don't usually come off at school so the chance of them losing them will be lessened!

As a former teacher kids this age leave or lose everything including keys, wallets etc. What about just buying belts. Depending on the size you choose they should be able to wear them for years to come, and belts don't usually come off at school so the chance of them losing them will be lessened!

I was thinking a belt too! But my concern would be that they'd grow out of it.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think belt would be practical and not as difficult to lose, but I have ruled them out because the 12 year old especially is still growing and it would almost definitely not fit in a few years. And shoes are out for the same reason--teenage boys grow so quickly! Not to mention how dirty and scuffed up shoes get.

I love the idea of the keyholder as being "keys" to their new home in a sense :smile:. Still between that and the pocket organizer for now!

Also, just want to add on that I'm sure they'll love anything you give them. Luxury goods aren't practical, so get what you want for them. The gift of a caring family will outlast everything else and you've given them that.

Reactions: nanaimo75
something tells me you're not into pre-loved, but since they are teens and prone to losing stuff, i'd at least keep the costs down and get something gently used. teach them about financial responsibility at the same time. :smile: you can get pre-loved items hotstamped and probably find a better variety.

Reactions: cerise87
Here's a thought..perhaps have them be a part of the process and take them to the LV store to pick something out. Make some suggestions for them to choose from given the budget (i.e. Belt, bracelet, key holder, cap, etc), or look online together to narrow down items to look at in store. GLD Congrats to you and your new family!

Hi- I can't begin to tell you how awesome you and your husband are- most older kids never get adopted and just stay in an often broken system till 18. Congratulations on your upcoming adoption! As for the gift, maybe u take them to LV, set a budget with them and you ALL pick and hotstamp the item right there together, making memory of picking and personalizing the item together to commensurate ur becoming a family.
If u have an SA u work with, let her know ahead of ur plans, maybe the SA can pull a few items that work with ur budget and slot out a little bit of time just for u guys and this special occasion.
Again, congratulations on your upcoming adoption!

This is so special and precious! Congratulations :hugs:I also agree with the idea of going to the boutique with them--it'd be an unforgettable experience.

As for them losing those items, accidents can always happen. However, I know with my precious items, I make a point of always being sure it's on me. I'm not sure your kids would be so careless as to just lose them :smile: As an example, my boyfriend was gifted a handmade leather wallet by his father when he was 13 and he has had it since. At that age he used it for gift cards and cash, but now that it's over 6 years old, he's of course started filling the slots with credit and debit cards :biggrin: I think a timeless item like a wallet would be a really wonderful gift.