Help a newbie choose H Scarf for gift

Framing can be expensive to have done properly, especially when mounting fabric in a way that will protect it from mounting damage and future light damage. However, I assume her income is relatively high if you are considering a gift in this price range as otherwise an expensive gift could be awkward (making the person feel like they could never reciprocate at the same level), so presumably the cost of framing wouldn't be an issue for her. Of course, this assumes she has that much space on one of her walls and the right decor to make hanging it somewhere feasible.

Since you said she is distant and you don't see her that often, she could easily just put it in a drawer if she doesn't like it or wouldn't wear it. Obviously not ideal, since you want her to like what you give her, but I suppose that's an advantage of a scarf. They fold up small.

What about the black and white Rob Legere? I feel like other scarves are so colorful, it's really dependent on their taste, but you can never go with black. And Rob Legere is whimsical enough to still show Hermes.

If she's not a scarf afficianado, I'd check out men's scarves. There are some interesting looks, not too dressy, and can be worn casually.
Agreed. Personally as someone who doesn't dress in a very feminine way, I cannot get to grips with the silk scarves without looking either like an old lady or an ageing air hostess! The men's cashmere / silk losange or 100cm formats are more muted colour wise and soooo easy to wear!

the cashmere/silk rectangles (60x180) are effortless to style
in real life the colours can be as rich as the traditional 90cm silk carrés
a traditional 90cm silk carré would be an echt-hermes gift and that is the conundrum
I would understand if that is what you want your gift to be - just choose a style and colour-way that you would love to own and let your taste be your guide

Get her a shawl. They are classically H, gorgeous and very versatile. I have gifted many over the years and all my recipients still use them. None are the same style dresser: stay at home mom, pro athlete, Wall Street Exec, teacher…. They all love and use it well.
I second the shawl. I love the e silk scarves but I use my shawl way more. It’s just much easier to style. Although this year I think I’m going to start wearing the scarves as a top. Does anyone have any good recommendations for underpinnings to wear when using scarves as tops?

Reactions: PrayersandPurses
I'll "third" the shawl maybe. I agree that it is much more versatile than a scarf and works for so many more people's styles. You really have to be a scarf person to appreciate a scarf. HOWEVER, when I look it up online, it looks like the shawls are double the cost of the scarfs. Depending on the relationship, it was already an expensive gift. Would that push it over the top of being reasonable? There is such a thing as an inappropriately expensive gift. Too much will make the person feel awkward. Only the OP will know how much is too much (both for her finances and for the relationship).

As far as using a scarf as art, you have to know whether the person would want that on display and whether they have room to display it. Since she's already older, it is a strong possibility that she already has what she wants for artwork. I know I personally would not be very happy if someone got me artwork. Even if I loved it, I have no where to put it. And squares, which most scarves are, are difficult to make work on many walls. Most framed artworks are rectangular because of this.

One has to think about framing too, which isn't inexpensive. So, you either have to offer to pay for the framing, which is potentially awkward because if they take you up on it, they would have to admit to you that they don't like your gift for the intended use and ask you for additional money, or you don't offer to pay for the framing and then they have to pay for it themselves. One's gift shouldn't cost the recipient money to enjoy it.

Also, falling back on using the scarf as a framed artwork, assumes that the gift-recipient wouldn't like the gift as the intended scarf. If one suspects a recipient wouldn't like a gift, it is an indication that a different gift should be considered, not a reason to think of how the gift can be shoehorned into working.

Last edited:
I'll "third" the shawl maybe. I agree that it is much more versatile than a scarf and works for so many more people's styles. You really have to be a scarf person to appreciate a scarf. HOWEVER, when I look it up online, it looks like the shawls are double the cost of the scarfs. Depending on the relationship, it was already an expensive gift. Would that push it over the top of being reasonable? There is such a thing as an inappropriately expensive gift. Too much will make the person feel awkward. Only the OP will know how much is too much (both for her finances and for the relationship).

As far as using a scarf as art, you have to know whether the person would want that on display and whether they have room to display it. Since she's already older, it is a strong possibility that she already has what she wants for artwork. I know I personally would not be very happy if someone got me artwork. Even if I loved it, I have no where to put it. And squares, which most scarves are, are difficult to make work on many walls. Most framed artworks are rectangular because of this.

One has to think about framing too, which isn't inexpensive. So, you either have to offer to pay for the framing, which is potentially awkward because if they take you up on it, they would have to admit to you that they don't like your gift for the intended use and ask you for additional money, or you don't offer to pay for the framing and then they have to pay for it themselves. One's gift shouldn't cost the recipient money to enjoy it.

Also, falling back on using the scarf as a framed artwork, assumes that the gift-recipient wouldn't like the gift as the intended scarf. If one suspects a recipient wouldn't like a gift, it is an indication that a different gift should be considered, not a reason to think of how the gift can be shoehorned into working.
This is thoroughly well thought through and articulated.

Over a dozen really valid points to consider.

Scarves can indeed be great with a "professional and executive" style, but a lot of women don't like them because if we are already an "older woman" they can make us look even older if not styled correctly. Scarves automatically have an "old lady" look to them, so you either need to be young or if you are "an old lady" you need to style it in a very fashionable way so that it makes it clear you know what you are doing and aren't just wearing old lady stuff.
I know they can make you look older. But oh, they feel so good and keep you so warm!

Reactions: HoneyLocks
Does the recipient live near an H store? When I give a gift from H, I buy it as close to the date I will give it as possible and include a gift receipt. If my well intentioned gift isn’t what the recipient wants, they can exchange within a set time period.

Hello, I'm a total newbie to scarves but wanted to buy one as a birthday gift for a family member. I don't think she's a scarf afficionnado either so I wanted to buy something that is versatile/practical to give her the most wearability options. Aside from choosing what designs I think she might like, can anyone share advice on things like the most desirable/practical qualities of a scarf with regard to size, colors, patterns, etc? I know this is a hugely subjective question but I value your personal experience. It may kick off a new hobby for me too. :smile:

About my relative: older woman, professional and "executive" demeanor who likes to appear put-together in social settings but is generally a laid back person otherwise. She's doesn't dress very feminine - more practical or classics. She has a 20s something daughter who she could pass the scarf down to or allow to use so timeless qualities will be great.

Current top contender is the Objets de Curiosites 90 scarf.
I think Objects de Curiosites could be a wonderful gift. I would go for a classic color combination (avoid anything too loud or fluorescent) - so she has a potential to wear it with classic business clothing or casual on weekends. I would stick to the classic 90 carre format - can't go wrong with it and probably would fit your budget for a gift. It is great that she has a daughter who can share to wear:smile: Contrary to other forum members' comments re: scarves aging ability, I believe the contemporary scarves designs by Hermes are very youthful and fun and don't age anyone if styled appropriately (I think they are deliberately trying to attract younger clientele and appeal to Gen X,Y, Z, etc:smile: . I would stay away from vintage designs as those CAN be aging (equestrian thematics with belts, buckles, and alike - in too brown/too pale colorways). When buying the gift, I would suggest to give her a gift receipt so that she can exchange it - in case she doesn't like it. If she doesn't live close to the store, I wold suggest buying from the website as she would have 30 days to exchange. Best of luck!

Reactions: lalame
Update, I went to the store to have a look around and did end up getting the Objets de Curiosites 90 after all. I'm glad I ended up ordering it in store because shipping was free and I didn't have to pay any sales tax (not sure why)! I did include a gift receipt just in case it wasn't her style. I looked at the shawls - beautiful - but a bit out of my price range. I was very tempted by an Avalon blanket but that seems like it might go over one's head if one wasn't plugged into pop culture to recognize how "in" they are.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Update, I went to the store to have a look around and did end up getting the Objets de Curiosites 90 after all. I'm glad I ended up ordering it in store because shipping was free and I didn't have to pay any sales tax (not sure why)! I did include a gift receipt just in case it wasn't her style. I looked at the shawls - beautiful - but a bit out of my price range. I was very tempted by an Avalon blanket but that seems like it might go over one's head if one wasn't plugged into pop culture to recognize how "in" they are.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I'm so pleased you didn't take much notice of the advice on this thread and went for the lovely silk scarf you wanted advice on. Objets de Curiosites is perfect IMO.

It's an incredible generous gesture to buy a silk scarf. All I can say is that many here must have unlimited budgets if suggesting CSGMs and/or framing scarves as gifts for friends.

My early trips into H were to buy older relatives gifts and usually scarves (or ties) and not myself. The look on the their faces receiving an orange box was absolutely priceless. I know 100% that the silk carré given were much loved and worn.

You know this person the best, I'm sure she will love this present. Beautiful thoughtful gift.