HBO's The Gilded Age by creator of Downton Abbey

melissatrv

O.G.
Feb 8, 2009
The first episode aired last night. Pretty underwhelmed by it. It is not like Downton where they really pulled you in after just one episode. I will give it a chance though. Personally I liked Julian Fellowes' Belgravia better. Anyone else watch? What were your thoughts?

The first episode aired last night. Pretty underwhelmed by it. It is not like Downton where they really pulled you in after just one episode. I will give it a chance though. Personally I liked Julian Fellowes' Belgravia better. Anyone else watch? What were your thoughts?
haven't watched but want to
I heard one great review (PBS radio) and read one that said it's not as good as Downton Abbey.

Finished episode 1 last night (well over an hour long!). It is no DA but still entertaining. The costumes are wonderful, they must take forever to get into, so luxe and the detail is just wow.

The characters are underwhelming (I agree with @loveofmylife) but who wouldn't love Pumpkin! :P

Reactions: limom and sdkitty
Accidentally stumbled on this new TV series. I couldn't maintain my focus, I started playing on my phone. But I will keep watching because I'm not watching anything at this moment.

Finished episode 1 last night (well over an hour long!). It is no DA but still entertaining. The costumes are wonderful, they must take forever to get into, so luxe and the detail is just wow.

The characters are underwhelming (I agree with @loveofmylife) but who wouldn't love Pumpkin! :P
I like it. Carrie Coons character is very unlikable for me. Christine Baranski is VG - pretty much unrecognizable. Louisa Jacobson - meryl streep's daughter is miscast IMO. She is clearly supposed to be very pretty and to me, she isn't. I'm glad she didn't mess with her face but she looks more like a character actress than a lead actress who's supposed to be beautiful. Meow. sorry.

I like it. Carrie Coons character is very unlikable for me. Christine Baranski is VG - pretty much unrecognizable. Louisa Jacobson - meryl streep's daughter is miscast IMO. She is clearly supposed to be very pretty and to me, she isn't. I'm glad she didn't mess with her face but she looks more like a character actress than a lead actress who's supposed to be beautiful. Meow. sorry.
I didn't know that Louisa was Streep's daughter (hadn't looked everyone up yet). Not seeing her as the beauty that all the men will undoubtedly be fawning over either.

I'm ok with Bertha (Carrie Coons)--that spread she put out for the 200 guests that never came to her party had me drooling! I realize most was props and fake but how do I get invited to a bash like that? And all those footmen--wow.

Reactions: mal
I didn't know that Louisa was Streep's daughter (hadn't looked everyone up yet). Not seeing her as the beauty that all the men will undoubtedly be fawning over either.

I'm ok with Bertha (Carrie Coons)--that spread she put out for the 200 guests that never came to her party had me drooling! I realize most was props and fake but how do I get invited to a bash like that? And all those footmen--wow.
it seems to be that the reactions of men to her (like carrie coons' son) are as if she was very pretty.....she is slender - I'll give her that

I think Louisa as Marion Brooks is well cast. None of the main female characters are drop dead gorgeous…they probably would be more attractive by today’s standards if they were made up to be, but these looks are more truthful to the time and circumstances of the characters. Heavily made up women in that time tended to be prostitutes or in the theater.

Meryl Streep was never a raving beauty and neither are her daughters…but they are exceptional actors.

I thought the same thing! In fact I thought Marian was older than she is portrayed. Was thinking late 30's. Bertha Russell, I did not feel bad for her even a little bit when no one showed up to her party. It has been mentioned a couple of times that she essentially ditched her "old friends" because she wants to move to the upper echelon of NY society. Anyone who does that is extremely superficial. They all are really but her most of all. And the way she drills her son about who he talks to and should not talk to. Hear that Betha is based on Alva Vanderbilt who struggled to be accepted in NY society and desperately sought the approval of Mrs. Astor. Guess Bertha (and Alva) had nothing better to do.