HBO's The Gilded Age by creator of Downton Abbey

I thought the same thing! In fact I thought Marian was older than she is portrayed. Was thinking late 30's. Bertha Russell, I did not feel bad for her even a little bit when no one showed up to her party. It has been mentioned a couple of times that she essentially ditched her "old friends" because she wants to move to the upper echelon of NY society. Anyone who does that is extremely superficial. They all are really but her most of all. And the way she drills her son about who he talks to and should not talk to. Hear that Betha is based on Alva Vanderbilt who struggled to be accepted in NY society and desperately sought the approval of Mrs. Astor. Guess Bertha (and Alva) had nothing better to do.
I was expecting that no one would show up for Bertha's party and didn't feel sorry for her either. Agree, social climber, doesn't want anything to do with her old friends. And her employee (dresser?) is wanting to go after her husband. that could get interesting.

Reactions: bisbee
Just started and liking it within just a few minutes into the show. I see the blueprint of this show from DA. The hustle and bustle of the kitchen staff, and how new money really just buys new to fit in with the monied-social status crowd.
Also recognizing Carrie Coon from Fargo and Gone Girl.
GloriaBurgleFargo.jpg

The first episode aired last night. Pretty underwhelmed by it. It is not like Downton where they really pulled you in after just one episode. I will give it a chance though. Personally I liked Julian Fellowes' Belgravia better. Anyone else watch? What were your thoughts?
I should probably watch Downton from beginning to end. I've seen parts of it and that is deterring me from watching from the beginning. I do like period stuff.

Perhaps another reason where this is slow to start compared to Downton is that the focus is on multiple families instead of just one? Hoping to see this pick up more in episode 2. Although Belgravia (recommended) had multiple families it really jump right out of the gate with the Duchess of Richmond's Ball right before the Battle of Waterloo. Belgravia was predictable but fun viewing nevertheless. @sdkitty Downton is definitely worth the watch.

I should probably watch Downton from beginning to end. I've seen parts of it and that is deterring me from watching from the beginning. I do like period stuff.

Watch from start to finish . You should thoroughly enjoy it. The settings, the scenery, the dynamics
between the characters, the table settings are fabulous & the quips from Maggie Smith are worth watching
Downton..

Downton is definitely worth the time…and it is a lot of time, since there were 6 seasons and 52 episodes. I also recommend watching the movie after you finish with the series. I watched it recently (tried to see it in the theater pre-Covid but couldn’t) and it was well worth it!
would the movie be watchable for someone who hasn't seen the series?

Reactions: gelbergirl
Wow. I just watched episode 2. I'm sticking to this drama series because the storyline is neat. But I understand now why I have such a hard time with it. It's because of TOO MANY familiar faces. The casting is weird.

Cynthia Nixon: I associate her too much with Sex and the City.
Carrie Coon: great actress, but her face is quite masculine and very modern.
Christine Baranski/ Jeanne Tripplehorn: haven't I seen these two everywhere?

And now someone mentioned Marianne is Meryl Streep's daughter, I can't unsee her mother in every scene!

These people must have all pulled some strings to be in this new HBO flick, but altogether it lacks the authenticity of Downton Abbey. Because in Downton, at least all the cast look like they belonged in that era (a certain period face) and you just focus on Lady Crawley....

Yeah episode 2 did not really pull me in either. I am finding it hard to develop a connection to these characters. I really dislike Bertha Russell. She is smug, snooty, and shallow. Lady Mary came off that way at first on Downton. However it was quickly shown that that although she was smug and snooty, that she was not shallow and had redeeming qualities. Plus the main storyline is "Bertha wants to be accepted by the top echelon of NY society. They don't accept her and she will keep pushing until they do". That little stunt of buying the all the goods at the bizarre and closing the tables seemed like it was supposed to be a "drop the mic" moment but fell flat to me. I will keep watching because there is nothing else on that fills my period drama needs.

Reactions: chowlover2
Agree on the casting. Plus what have they done with Jeanne Tripplehorn? She looks like a corpse! Put some rouge on that woman quickly!!

Cynthia Nixon's casting was probably a part of getting her to agree to And Just Like That. Had to be. What else would motivate her to appear in a series that butchered the character of Miranda.

Marian's portrayer has that mature look of her mother. Even when she was in her twenties, Meryl always had this mature, worldly look about her. A miscast for Marian who is supposed to that "looking for a husband age". Which was super young in that time period. Look at Oscar trying to match with Bertha's daughter who is what? 15?

Wow. I just watched episode 2. I'm sticking to this drama series because the storyline is neat. But I understand now why I have such a hard time with it. It's because of TOO MANY familiar faces. The casting is weird.

Cynthia Nixon: I associate her too much with Sex and the City.
Carrie Coon: great actress, but her face is quite masculine and very modern.
Christine Baranski/ Jeanne Tripplehorn: haven't I seen these two everywhere?

And now someone mentioned Marianne is Meryl Streep's daughter, I can't unsee her mother in every scene!

These people must have all pulled some strings to be in this new HBO flick, but altogether it lacks the authenticity of Downton Abbey. Because in Downton, at least all the cast look like they belonged in that era (a certain period face) and you just focus on Lady Crawley....

Reactions: limom