Hayden-Harnett -- worth full price?

HH started out well but it quickly descended with their attitude. I tried to buy something over 1+ year ago and they basically snubbed my inquiry. Never returned.
^ :yes: I really don't think they're going to make it after the experiences I've had.

My first experience was when I tried to order a bag and they said the price was a "glitch" and cancelled my order. Then there was the mess with the sale.

Then I got my bag and it fell apart after 3 days. Their CS is rude and inconsistent. They have the attitude that it's the customer's fault, not theirs. They hide behind their product (and the buzz that their customers have created) instead of standing behind the product itself. These aren't the values that successful companies are built on. :nogood:

^ :yes: I really don't think they're going to make it after the experiences I've had.

My first experience was when I tried to order a bag and they said the price was a "glitch" and cancelled my order. Then there was the mess with the sale.

Then I got my bag and it fell apart after 3 days. Their CS is rude and inconsistent. They have the attitude that it's the customer's fault, not theirs. They hide behind their product (and the buzz that their customers have created) instead of standing behind the product itself. These aren't the values that successful companies are built on. :nogood:

Again, I am so sorry for what happened to you, Claire. No way to treat a custmer, long-time or first-time. It seems a lot of experiences - on this thread and others - are split between amazingly good and excruciatingly bad. I have had nothing but helpful, accomodating customer service from HH, but clearly that is not the case for everyone. I hope they can get consistency into their CS so they can grow, and let us all say we knew them when.

GlamaRuth, I don't know if I posted this before but, I have the Pastis, thanks to you! Your description sent me over the edge. I already liked the way the bag looked but didn't see how it fit into my lifestyle. One of the reasons I like Hayden-Harnett bags is because they're organized so I can stay organized and reach what I need conveniently. When you said there were pockets on either side and the front, that was that. I put my keys in one side pocket and my Treo in the front and I'm set. Thanks so much for the poetic description. I agree, it can be compared to a work of art. It makes me smile when I look at it.
By the way, HH must do a better job of highlighting what makes each bag beautiful and practical. I need to see better photos, more inside photos and read more detail on the written description. I think they're missing out on business this way. I don't know if one of the owners' cousins is handling this part of the business, or what, but I find it lacking.

You're welcome! Glad to share the love. But you are also right about their site/catalog/descriptions - need to be better. The IRL shots on tPF are invaluable. For what it's worth, though, even with super detailed notes and close-up shots from HH, I still think hearing someone else's experience with a bag will help in a final decision. After all, they are marketing, we are reviewing.

My experience with HH has been uneven -- not so bad I don't want to do business with them, but unresponsive enough (e-mails unanswered, confused delivery information) that I feel they have a few problems. Even the quality of the bags has been erratic in my experience. One bag was flawless and spectacular; the next is still very good but the lining isn't quite right in one place. I'm not complaining. The price was right, and I have this "support the underdog/smaller business" thing I like to do, and I really do like the bags.

Sure, HH bags are worth what people spend on them. It's also important the buyers continue to feel that way, which is why it's too bad to see people questioning their purchases. One of the rewards of pursuing a new bag is feeling good about having snagged it!

I've had some excellent customer service from them in the past...to the point where they bent over backwards to accommodate me even though my complaint (the color of the bag I ordered wasn't to my liking) wasn't at all their fault. And the bags I've ordered have held up beautifully so far and I've gotten dozens of compliments on them.

However, it seems that with the increasing attention and number of orders (from these blowout sales!) there have been more and more stories of bad experiences. I have 2 more orders coming and I hope my good streak continues, but now there's that doubt in the back of my mind. I think they simply don't have the manpower yet to give us the attention we deserve, not that it's any excuse for rude responses from them.

hi girls,

do any of you have the dominique satchel or hobo? the reason i ask is because i have the satchel and after about a week and a half of use, i noticed that the piping along the bottom edge is already starting to show wear. it looks like the glazed leather is worn out. i am very gentle with my bags and i'm surprised the leather has already shown signs of wear. is there anything to prevent/fix this?

to answer the OP's question, no, i would not pay full price for any HH bags. in light of the above issue with the dominique satchel, these bags don't seem to hold up to regular use. i also have a nico, which seems to pick up the color of even my oldest pair denim. the last HH bag i purchased - the hudson triple strap satchel - i haven't taken out, but there are variations in the stiff leather that i wasn't expecting, but now i have get used to.

overall, i'm happy i was able to get these bags at such great prices. otherwise i wouldn't have looked twice at them.

hi girls,

do any of you have the dominique satchel or hobo? the reason i ask is because i have the satchel and after about a week and a half of use, i noticed that the piping along the bottom edge is already starting to show wear. it looks like the glazed leather is worn out. i am very gentle with my bags and i'm surprised the leather has already shown signs of wear. is there anything to prevent/fix this?

to answer the OP's question, no, i would not pay full price for any HH bags. in light of the above issue with the dominique satchel, these bags don't seem to hold up to regular use. i also have a nico, which seems to pick up the color of even my oldest pair denim. the last HH bag i purchased - the hudson triple strap satchel - i haven't taken out, but there are variations in the stiff leather that i wasn't expecting, but now i have get used to.

overall, i'm happy i was able to get these bags at such great prices. otherwise i wouldn't have looked twice at them.

momo42 -
Ugh, sorry to hear about the trim on your Dominique satchel :sad:
I have the satchel in cream and have been using mine non-stop for about a month (everyday, several long car trips and even a flight) without a scratch, dent or wear.
You may want to start a new thread for more visibility to see if this is a common problem with the bag. If it's bad, you should contact HH and ask them for their advice.

Since I'm on this thread - I might as well chime in.....
I have purchased three bags directly from HH:
a) the Dominique satchel in cream which I have come to love more n' more BUT I would never have bought it for the retail price (almost $600) and feel that this price is way too expensive for the bag. I purchased the bag for $148 (I think) and IMO, a FANTASTIC DEAL.
b) the Mercer Triple C in Indigo/Croc that was a steal at $90 - but IMO not worth the retail price. It's a gift for my college aged niece - I'm hoping that she'll like it.
c) the Gaza Hobo in Prune. I returned this bag, I loved the overall design, color and organization, but there were some design idiosynracies that bothered me and though it was also a DEAL at $112, I returned it.

d) My first HH purchase was bought at another e-tailer, the chocolate Ana, and I think this bag is worth its retail price. I bought it on sale, but not at the deep discount of this last sale. Why? First and foremost, the unique design. When I got the bag, I was thrilled with the leather: it feels fantastic and looks fantastic. The design details are so unique, well thought out and downright charming. Not to mention the organization/pockets/tab/pulls, etc - all superb. And the size of the bag is perfect for me. I think at it's price of $325 it hits the mark!!! Great product at a price that's in line IF NOT LOWER than what's on the market. It was this bag that made me look at other HH products and I think they really can hit the mark with some of their goods, but maybe not all. But man, I really got some great deals and I know I'll probably pay full price for others in the future.
Oh yeah, what was the question???:nuts:

PS - sorry for the discourse

thanks for the input dcblam. maybe the chestnut color is less hardier than the cream? i will contact HH about how to fix the problem.

momo42 -
Ugh, sorry to hear about the trim on your Dominique satchel :sad:
I have the satchel in cream and have been using mine non-stop for about a month (everyday, several long car trips and even a flight) without a scratch, dent or wear.
You may want to start a new thread for more visibility to see if this is a common problem with the bag. If it's bad, you should contact HH and ask them for their advice.

Since I'm on this thread - I might as well chime in.....
I have purchased three bags directly from HH:
a) the Dominique satchel in cream which I have come to love more n' more BUT I would never have bought it for the retail price (almost $600) and feel that this price is way too expensive for the bag. I purchased the bag for $148 (I think) and IMO, a FANTASTIC DEAL.
b) the Mercer Triple C in Indigo/Croc that was a steal at $90 - but IMO not worth the retail price. It's a gift for my college aged niece - I'm hoping that she'll like it.
c) the Gaza Hobo in Prune. I returned this bag, I loved the overall design, color and organization, but there were some design idiosynracies that bothered me and though it was also a DEAL at $112, I returned it.

d) My first HH purchase was bought at another e-tailer, the chocolate Ana, and I think this bag is worth its retail price. I bought it on sale, but not at the deep discount of this last sale. Why? First and foremost, the unique design. When I got the bag, I was thrilled with the leather: it feels fantastic and looks fantastic. The design details are so unique, well thought out and downright charming. Not to mention the organization/pockets/tab/pulls, etc - all superb. And the size of the bag is perfect for me. I think at it's price of $325 it hits the mark!!! Great product at a price that's in line IF NOT LOWER than what's on the market. It was this bag that made me look at other HH products and I think they really can hit the mark with some of their goods, but maybe not all. But man, I really got some great deals and I know I'll probably pay full price for others in the future.
Oh yeah, what was the question???:nuts:

PS - sorry for the discourse

There are very few brands I would pay full retail for, Balenciaga and LV are the two that come to mind. And to save money there, I buy pre-loved.

I own 2 HH Gaza Hobos, gave one to my daughter, one for me, and we both like the leather, styling and functionality of the bag. We also love the fact we got them for far under retail (125 and 175).

Are they cheapening their brand by doing the sales, maybe. But they ARE building a following. Look at how many people here are talking about them.

last night i looked through my pack of HH bags and realized i didn't pay full price for *any* of them. the thing is that this same statement holds true for just about everything in my closet. since i started grad school 4 years ago, i needed to develop some major bargain hunting skills to survive on my slim budget.

but before HH, i didn't spend more than 30-50$ or so on a bag (!!!!!!!!!!!). so i think that is even more indicative of my consumer behavior in regards to HH!

and i would pay full price now... was contemplating it for the Lido Hobo and Pastis. and when my next paycheck rolls in i think i'm going to pay full price for some HH dresses - a special gift to myself for turning 30 (ok a month and a half in advance, but this is a big one and i intend to work it as an excuse for some time!!! ;)