Have your parents ever disapproved of someone you wanted to date or marry?

I think they have with just about all of them but my mom will not give me opinions about the guys I date. She doesn't feel it's her place to do that so she keeps it to herself.

i feel like my father would have rather i married an irish man instead of an italian man bc i am irish.this makes me feel a little bad but otherwise i could care less bc that is just ridiculous thinking imo

Nope. I only took 1 guy home, and that´s my current BF (for 9 years). They liked him very much, he was well raised and knows how to trick parents lol-Mr Perfect in front of family-, in fact they thought I was not good enough for him :sad:
But now they aknowledge my qualities better, and my BF´s shortcomings better as well !!

Yes, my mom is very fickle when it comes to bfs.. she worries about how I'll end up if I do end up marrying this person. I think her worst nightmare would be of me being on welfare or divorced or something of that nature. I do believe my mom is very old fashioned when it comes to financial security and etc.

My first love!!!! Unfortunately, my mum took a dislike, due to finding out that it was a very serious relationship. KWIM?

Although I am sure that eventually she would have come round.

Problem was, we lost her suddenly!!! I was 18 years old, and devastated. What made it all the worse, was that we had big family celebration on the Saturday, and I had told my mum we were getting engaged!!!!! It caused a major row, like nothing before.

On the Wednesday am we went off to work together, parted as normal in the City. 1/2 an hour later, she had a stroke and died the following morning!

Standing in the rest home, at the side of her coffin, her sister told me it was my fault. I have still never got over that accusation, 33 years later.

I made a major decision then, which I shouldnt have done, and I ended the relationship.

I married, a couple of years later to someone else, but, in hindsight, it was a big mistake, although I don't regret my children.

Typical Asian parent requirements:
1. He has to be "better" than me
2. Ivy League or equivalent
3. Good job
4. Good family
5. Good looking

So yeah, my bfs didn't always match. I wonder how the current one will fare. Hmmm.

Not at all. My last BF was despised by all. Now, its so embarrassing to realize I did not SEE what they did at the time...oh well, you live and you learn.

my mom has liked my boyfriends execept 2. the first she didnt like him because he tried to boss me around and he made me cry alot then when i had enough of him and wanted to break up with him she was like "i like him where is he" and every once in awhile i see him and she gets all happy to see him. then this other guy i met last yr inn 06 she couldnt stand him she was in tears because i wouldn't stop dating him.