Have you ever travelled to another country just to buy a certain thing?

yes I've traveled to Turkey/Istanbul to buy fantastic quality cashmere and silk pashminas in 1/20 of the price I'd buy them in my country. I'll do it again soon, because suit jackets are horrible on me, so I resort to pashmina wraps and cardies instead.. I also got fantastic deals on art supplies (the shop I got them is Naturel Kagitcilik, at Cagaloglu Yokusu, No 27/20, Cagaloglu-Instanbul). The train ticket was only 38 euros, I had a fantastic time and it was my biggest trip with train I ever did. Great adventure!
We often travel to London for my hubby's hobby, vintage guitars, he both buy and sells.
My friend went to Rome for an afternoon to buy her Armani wedding dress, in the 1/3 of the price she had to pay in Athens...

Last edited:
yes I've traveled to Turkey/Istanbul to buy fantastic quality cashmere and silk pashminas in 1/20 of the price I'd buy them in my country. I'll do it again soon, because suit jackets are horrible on me, so I resort to pashmina wraps and cardies instead.. I also got fantastic deals on art supplies (the shop I got them is Naturel Kagitcilik, at Cagaloglu Yokusu, No 27/20, Cagaloglu-Instanbul). The train ticket was only 38 euros, I had a fantastic time and it was my biggest trip with train I ever did. Great adventure!
We often travel to London for my hubby's hobby, vintage guitars, he both buy and sells.
My friend went to Rome for an afternoon to buy her Armani wedding dress, in the 1/3 of the price she had to pay in Athens...

i am so envious!!!!!!!!!! we can't really do that here (in the US). I guess unless you are near the canadian or mexican borders...but for those of who aren't, plane tickets are so $$$. :sad:

When I lived close to the border, many people there used to buy food and coffee in Belgium or the Netherlands.

I went to London once to buy a bag they wouldn't send, but I combined it with a business meeting so it seemed less crazy ....

i am so envious!!!!!!!!!! we can't really do that here (in the US). I guess unless you are near the canadian or mexican borders...but for those of who aren't, plane tickets are so $$$. :sad:
he he it was a loooong trip btw... 5 hours from Athens to Thessaloniki by train, 3-4 hours wait and then 12 hours trip from Thessaloniki to Istanbul by train again. I'd do it again any time!!! So Orient Express!:P

Yes - once a week I go to the US to buy my designer pieces or anything else I can't get here (it only takes 30 minutes travel time). Living in Canada, doesn't give you a lot of choices on a range of designers and sometimes, it's not always the latest items.

All the time! Before I lived in Monterrey, I lived at another Mexican town which was a lot closer to the border with the USA (aprox. 40 mins drive). So I pretty much drove there on the weekends to buy clothes and stuff. Now, I wait until I come visit my parents to get home staples there, too.

no, but i have traveled to west texas. which, in comparison to CA, is pretty much a different country, lol. it was nothing glamorous. in fact, it was a trailer, lol. and not even one you live in. one to haul **** in. literal ****.

and lol, let me tell you, it was quite an experience. i wouldn't take it back though. never! :biggrin:

I went on vacation earlier this year from San Francisco to London and Dublin, but I deliberately made a stop at the Alexander McQueen store on Bond Street in London to get a pink skull scarf that I could not get in the States (that color combo was not available here at the time).