Have you ever felt awkward carrying an LV?

Each to his own! I don't judge people (out loud;) ) for driving huge expensive SUVs or having razor phones or carrying Mont Blanc pens or whatever. I personally wouldn't spend the $$$ on those things, they're not on my radar. High-end bags are. I know I recently made fun of my mother on another thread for wearing mink coats and carrying "cheap" bags but now I realise it's just where her priorities are. There's nothing wrong with it, really. My sis drives an expensive car and just bought a house in a very "desireable" neighborhood and sends her kids to private school, but buys a lot of her clothes at Target and is totally unashamed to carry a fake Kate Spade or similar.

I know what you mean. I feels even worst when you're own family does it to you. But, hey, so you long you can afford it and not spending more than you can, why not. Everybody spends their money the way they want. I'm sure if they don't have to pay bills and able to shop all their paycheck, they'll be buying designers things too. Don't let anyone bring you down or make you feel guilty for being fortunate. All you can do is smile and say thank you. :smile:

The only time I wouldn't carry my LV mono would be in a new situation. For example, today I had a meet and greet session in preparation for a new job I start next week! I brought my good luck charm, the Saleya PM. It's elegant but doesn't announce "LV." Of course I will bring my mono as I start my new job, but for first impressions I want people to see me as an elegant, professional woman, rather than "that new girl with the LV bag."

I feel more awkward carrying monogram bags than Epi. I think because everyone's used to seeing monogram bags that's why they can recognise it and then automatically assume that you are well off or something. With Epi, not many people can recognise it's an LV unless your an LV fanatic :nuts: .

I go to uni where like 80% of the students are like Asian and many of the girls carry Gucci and sometimes I see guys with LV but I have yet to see a girl bring an LV :crybaby: , hence I rarely bring my mono to school...unless I'm just in there to do some research/study or it's a short day.

There are so many fake LV's that I think people take them less seriously than when they see my Gucci's and Prada's. I notice that my LV bags get lots of glances but, every time I see one it is a fake so I assume that people cannot tell the difference unless they are really into handbags. My friends are well to do but, are cheap in the handbag department. For some of them a 100.00 bag is a lot...I cannot even get a cles for that price...my cles costs more than most of my friends handbags. They would flip if they new that my most expensive handbag was worth over 2k. I feel guilty about my great taste but, cannot help myself. My pouchette groom wallet cost more than many peoples handbags. Man are we a group of pompous handbag collectors??? Too be honest I am going to try to stick to my ban for a good while...operative word is TRY.....Some months my handbags cost more than my rent is that sad. Also I never flaunt my handbags infront of people who cannot afford them rather I try not to draw too much attention to my handbag that way no one is offended. I am very empathic and hate when people overtly try to rub things in your face...not cool. I rather be humble and grateful and hope that other appreciate my great taste.

You are all giving such great advice on this topic!

I am worried of how it will be when I finally get my LV I got ordered. Because sometimes I don't know what to say, and the issue it would bring up would offend me, and here's why: I got to a design college and everyone's all artist-thrift store-unmatching type people who don't pay more than very little. I was referred to as a "rich girl who lives with her parents" just because of a COACH purse! I pay for all my things and am in debt, and owe my parents money. How am I a rich girl. But thank you! I'd love to be! But that's the only thing that will bother me.

It's not like a situation where everyone's in a bad place or anything-- for ONE thing, they don't have jobs! SO...

there are times and places where I opt not to use my Lv bags

however a good friend asked me 'what's the poitn of having the bag if your not going to wear it?'

even when my expensive bags were Coach I would have co-worker act like I was rolling in money, when I was only treating myself with an itty bit of my paycheck

I only feel uncomfortable around my family. One of my sisters "can't believe how much they are" "flashy" "How much are they" "you and your husband must be rolling in money" etc

I think its very normal to feel awkward when any focus comes our way...

But I really think that it is how you handle it too...If you act guilty or embarrased for carring a bag that cost alittle bit more..its going to relate to others in that manner...I see some ladies really handle it great..and you feel that its not a big deal afterall.....I wish I could learn to do that...

Then theres the fact that theres going to be attention on a bag that is so recongnizable...so it comes with the territory in a way...bottom line...its a bag afterall...personal choice and taste..period.:smile:

The only time I felt awkward was when I walked by a girl who had a fake bag and adored it, talked loudly about it. I walked by and her friends asked her "wasn´t that real? it must have been" She was so embarrassed that I became embarrassed.

LV bags are commonplace where I am... so no, I hardly feel awkward save for some situations when some people just keep staring. I don't mind but sometimes I wished they did it discreetly instead of staring with wide eyes. I aways look at patina-ed bags that other women carry on the streets too. I've been dying to ask a lady how long she's had her bucket for it has this beautiful patina.

Oh yes, I had someone make me feel 2 inches tall for having an LV bag. But then I had to take into account who made the comment.

It came from a guy who works for the city, has no money, single (now I know why), and insensitive (he use to make fun of me when my hair was falling out due to chemo!, Jack***, I know!)

My point is, if someone makes you feel bad for having YOUR luxuries in life, brush it off, you are better than that person! (And that person is just jealous because he/she can't afford it themselves. If I can't afford LV, I would be so jealous too! But thank god I can!)

i second that...im in grad school too and because of my field, there aren't a lot of asians and ppl with other ethnicity(s) are not into LV at all...or they don't think it's worth the $..they bring kate spades and even rarely coach bags but i always compliment on the bags that they have..

I know what you mean exactly:yes: ! When I was in England at university my only friends who could understand my obsession were Singaporian and Malaysian and I even became a member of the Malaysian/Singaporian association:roflmfao: !

I do catch my self trying to justify my purchases when I get asked' is that a new bag?' But to be honest I love bags so much I quit smoking many years ago just to be able to afford them so I definetely do not feel sorry for
smokers who complain that they cannot afford a bag:yes:

The good thing is when I started going to court I was the only one carrying Lv especially the Sac Plat! Now there are 4 more lawyers owning that bag so at least I influenced some:lol: