Have you converted to Vintage?

Just curious, for the people who do own vintage chanel, how much "wear" do you get of it?

I have been thinking of purchasing a vintage chanel as an everyday bag but worried it might be too delicate for that.

Reactions: wimp
With worldwide inflation and Chanel leading the way on prices, I’m not finding vintage bags to be the bargains they once were. People are even driving up prices on damaged bags that from experience I know cannot be brought back to a wearable look. I’m completely befuddled on what’s going on. :whut:

Has anyone else noticed this price inflation across the board?

Yes! I only buy vintage Chanel (the newest bag I have is from 2020 and is used). I have noticed prices increasing astronomically. However, comparing the vintage bags to newer bags- the quality is impeccable and hardware is amazing. I feel that you do have to really do your research and hunt for bargains to find vintage bags that are worth it. I recommend looking for pieces that are not trendy right now (which you can put in lower offers) but are functional, great quality (make sure no musty smell), and will probably come back in style or is your style or is a style of bag that is always needed (for example, you can find great Chanel totes for under 1.5K). For vintage, I set a max price that I will go for (usually under 2K) and opt for pieces where I get more leather and bag for my money. I always prioritize my style over trends though. To clarify, I opt for non CF Chanel bags. I like finding new Chanel styles and I own one rectangular mini and that's good enough for me.

Just curious, for the people who do own vintage chanel, how much "wear" do you get of it?

I have been thinking of purchasing a vintage chanel as an everyday bag but worried it might be too delicate for that.
I wear the daylights out of my vintage bags. They have lasted this long and look this great, why wouldn't they continue to hold up? My vintage bags will outdate me. If I need to give any bags TLC, send it to leather surgeons!

I wear the daylights out of my vintage bags. They have lasted this long and look this great, why wouldn't they continue to hold up? My vintage bags will outdate me. If I need to give any bags TLC, send it to leather surgeons!
Thanks for the reply! That is great to hear!

In terms of buying vintage, I am trying to understand what the least risk, best investment, and value for money is for a classic flap.

From the sites I have been exploring, I notice that early 2000s vintage flaps are the more expensive (around £3900-4200) whereas the vintage flaps from the 90s are slightly less (£3200-£3800). For those with recent experiences does this seem accurate? And do you feel the vintage classic flaps feel worth that price?

I inherited most of my pieces so they are definitely vintage. One is pre-Karl and OMG the materials are soooo fine.

The last bag I bought was in the 00s so that's just about considered vintage too now.

If I could find the tweed I'd buy it new or vintage. For me it doesn't matter so long as it's absolutely the perfect one.

Thanks for the reply! That is great to hear!

In terms of buying vintage, I am trying to understand what the least risk, best investment, and value for money is for a classic flap.

From the sites I have been exploring, I notice that early 2000s vintage flaps are the more expensive (around £3900-4200) whereas the vintage flaps from the 90s are slightly less (£3200-£3800). For those with recent experiences does this seem accurate? And do you feel the vintage classic flaps feel worth that price?
Sorry for the late reply! For vintage flaps there are a few things to keep in mind. This is all based on my opinion, I am by no means a Chanel expert.
Depending on the size/type:
1. Puffiness of the quilting: The older you get the more deflating the bag looks. However, this is not a bad thing, it's more of a style preference.
2. Chain length: Older models usually have shorter strap lengths
3. Quality of the chain/hardware. Models from the 80's, 90's, and super early 2000's still have the heavy and excellent quality gold plating. You really can tell the difference and it is my absolute favorite quality of vintage chanel bags. This also adds weight, however. It's not really that noticeable but it is there.
4. Quality of lambskin. I feel like there is a difference and 90's and older models have a different lambskin that is a bit more hardy.

What you really should be looking for is what shape the bag is in-is there much wear in the corners/ scratches and scuffing, how does the interior look, how about the leather on the straps, is there tarnishing to the hardware anywhere or scratches to it, does it have a strong smell inside, was the bag stored properly, etc... Sometimes you can send bag pics to the leather surgeons to see if it is salvageable. Also, make sure you ask the seller if they repainted anything. I had one seller try to sneak one on me.

You can find some absolute gems that look great from the 90's or it might be worth spending more for a bag in better shape from the 2000's. Up to you. Always speak to the seller and ask lots of questions- that helps a ton.

Sorry for the late reply! For vintage flaps there are a few things to keep in mind. This is all based on my opinion, I am by no means a Chanel expert.
Depending on the size/type:
1. Puffiness of the quilting: The older you get the more deflating the bag looks. However, this is not a bad thing, it's more of a style preference.
2. Chain length: Older models usually have shorter strap lengths
3. Quality of the chain/hardware. Models from the 80's, 90's, and super early 2000's still have the heavy and excellent quality gold plating. You really can tell the difference and it is my absolute favorite quality of vintage chanel bags. This also adds weight, however. It's not really that noticeable but it is there.
4. Quality of lambskin. I feel like there is a difference and 90's and older models have a different lambskin that is a bit more hardy.

What you really should be looking for is what shape the bag is in-is there much wear in the corners/ scratches and scuffing, how does the interior look, how about the leather on the straps, is there tarnishing to the hardware anywhere or scratches to it, does it have a strong smell inside, was the bag stored properly, etc... Sometimes you can send bag pics to the leather surgeons to see if it is salvageable. Also, make sure you ask the seller if they repainted anything. I had one seller try to sneak one on me.

You can find some absolute gems that look great from the 90's or it might be worth spending more for a bag in better shape from the 2000's. Up to you. Always speak to the seller and ask lots of questions- that helps a ton.
This is amazing advice - thanks so much!

I'm narrowing in on the right bag now and have contacted a leather surgeon. So excited to make my first Chanel purchase! :smile:

I inherited most of my pieces so they are definitely vintage. One is pre-Karl and OMG the materials are soooo fine.

The last bag I bought was in the 00s so that's just about considered vintage too now.

If I could find the tweed I'd buy it new or vintage. For me it doesn't matter so long as it's absolutely the perfect one.
That's really helpful to know! Part of what makes it difficult is making such a big purchase without first seeing it in the flesh. I had never thought about ever buying vintage till coming on this forum, and trawling through vestiaire and eBay for hours.

It depends on how picky you are and the age of the bag. My vintage Chanel is a bit delicate for everyday use for my preferences, but everyone is different. Mine is from the early 1980s, pre-hologram, and in a few months of use I was a bit crestfallen to find wear on one corner and a scratch on the front. This is of course to be expected, no matter the quality of an item it will show wear with... wear ;). I decided to reserve it for occasional use but people less picky than me would just keep wearing that vintage bag regardless of its signs of use, and more power to them :tup:

Reactions: iskam.mnogo
So I found a 9 series Chanel Medium Flap. I believe it's from mid 2004. It's in really good condition, except for these wrinkles. Do you guys think the wrinkles would worsen with wear or get better?

Attachments

• PXL_20220105_164106054.jpg
    PXL_20220105_164106054.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Thanks
Reactions: Mimi-2020

I would love to see your pre-Karl vintage Chanel. Could you post a photo to show us? Thank you.

It depends on how picky you are and the age of the bag. My vintage Chanel is a bit delicate for everyday use for my preferences, but everyone is different. Mine is from the early 1980s, pre-hologram, and in a few months of use I was a bit crestfallen to find wear on one corner and a scratch on the front. This is of course to be expected, no matter the quality of an item it will show wear with... wear ;). I decided to reserve it for occasional use but people less picky than me would just keep wearing that vintage bag regardless of its signs of use, and more power to them :tup:
Is your pre 1986 bag a double flap with Reissue chain?
I just sold mine to fund other CFs, I miss that bag soo much. Seller’s remorse definitely.

Reactions: Farkvam