Have any of you ever been too shy/embarrased to carry your LV bag?

I have sometimes felt "uncomfortable". I am a Social Worker which is not a profession usually associated with having luxury items. I also volunteer as a Child Advocate and I do not take my bag with me to my CA kids house as I didn't want to look like the uppity white chick. I also drive a BMW so it's not limited to my LV. I have sometimes changed out bags to banana republic bag or something not so noticeable depending on where I'm going.

Sometimes I do get that feeling of being shy/ embarrassed when I were my designer handbags. when I got my first gucci bag, I kept it in the box for a long period of time before I wore it. Im 15 and hate to see people wear fake bags, so im afraid that if I go out in public other people will think my bag is fake too and I hate the stares and looks that these Miami girls give you lol

Last edited:
Well... I am never apologizing for the things i love, but i have been known to take in my surroundings when i dress - I think its all about being proper and respectful. So carrying a louder, monogrammed bag when going to visit someone who is struggeling financially would not be an option...

I agree. :yes:

I often will choose to wear luxury bags around some groups of people but not others. I got my first LV when I was 15 and was conscious of it then... now that I'm 26 and and can proudly say that I work hard and earn enough money to buy my own nice bags (rather than just being spoiled by the parents), I still feel self-conscious sometimes. It seems stupid. Hopefully I'll just get over it someday.

I have only felt self-conscious when my son started school and I saw a lot of moms and was afraid I would be judged..why is it that I have the impression that moms can't spend on themselves? Anyway, because of my self-consciousness, I got my first damier ebene bag and intend to use it more. But I am trying to get over this feeling.. afterall, an LV is so commonplace now -- doesn't almost everyone have one nowadays?:smile: Let's all try to wear it with pride!

Btw, I am more comfortable taking it out in public with strangers and am especially comfortable with my friends and family who I know will not judge me.

Btw2, thanks for the original post and everyone else for being so candid -- I love this forum! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way too.

Last edited:
I have a related question for you all: I have not gotten an azur bag for the main reason that I'm afraid it will stand out and I will get a lot of attention -- is it more true with azur or is it about the same as with mono? Thanks!

I change out my bags daily because it's fun for me.....but I usually don't bring them out at my kids' school because I don't want to appear as if I'm showing off. They stay in the car at drop off and pick up.
That's so interesting because I'm the same way!:smile: I too leave my LV sometimes in the car when I pick up my son from school. But I am trying to get over it. I wonder if you and I both do this, does that mean a lot of mothers out there do it also? If so, maybe we should both bring ours out and all the other mothers will feel comfortable doing the same:smile:.

That's so interesting because I'm the same way!:smile: I too leave my LV sometimes in the car when I pick up my son from school. But I am trying to get over it. I wonder if you and I both do this, does that mean a lot of mothers out there do it also? If so, maybe we should both bring ours out and all the other mothers will feel comfortable doing the same:smile:.

I totally do the same thing. In fact, I noticed one mom at school with a speedy a while back. I complimented her on her bag, and she seemed very embarrassed. Talked about how old it was. Sadly, I have never seen her with it since. It's almost like she didn't want to be called out for it. That in turn has made me thinking twice about bringing my bags into the school. I do anyway but sometimes feel a little funny about it.

Thank you all for replying to the post =)! Really enjoyed reading what each of you had to say. It's really nice to see that we wear them because are are proud we earned the bag, we wear them not to show off, and we consider others around us.

Well done all ! :heart:

I understand shyness about wearing LV! I am new to the line and felt very self conscious about wearing the mono. My first LV bag was the LV NF, but it sat for 2 weeks because I was so reluctant to wear the monograms. So I returned it for a damier ebene - which is much more subtle.

As a matter of fact, I've only had 1 LV comment in 2 weeks of wearing it, and it was from one of my students who was considering it for her mom. :smile:

I think the azur is still not as known by as many people in comparison to the mono.

Agreed. People who are not familiar with the brand are not as likely to recognize a damier print, while pretty much everyone can look at the classic mono and readily identify it as Louis Vuitton. DBF didn't even know what my damier pieces were at first, he just knew that he preferred when I carried my "checkboard purse." :P