Has the pandemic changed your perspective on designer purchases?

i actually think this pandemic has made me more willing to spend money on designer items. they make me happy and i always struggled with guilt over that but i don’t anymore. i was extremely sick when i got covid, it was the only time in my life i truly thought about what would happen if i died, what my life looked like, etc. it made me more committed to doing whatever makes me happy, regardless of what that is. i absolutely agree that there are more important things in life but the days i’m happiest are typically the days i am dressed up and feeling good and feeling empowered which is what fashion does to me. life is too short to get yourself into debt or focus on the wrong things, absolutely. but life is also too short to not embrace the things that make us happy whatever they may be.

I'm like you, I have loosened up on my spending a lot during this time. I don't spend as much on designer wearables anymore but I do buy anything that makes me happy and comfortable day-to-day. Things I would've thought were too extravagant or frivolous before, like fancy candles or body wash or whatnot. Even flowers! Anything that makes you smile more often during the day.

I'm like you, I have loosened up on my spending a lot during this time. I don't spend as much on designer wearables anymore but I do buy anything that makes me happy and comfortable day-to-day. Things I would've thought were too extravagant or frivolous before, like fancy candles or body wash or whatnot. Even flowers! Anything that makes you smile more often during the day.

that is so funny. i have been buying candles lately and i just bought myself flowers for the first time a few weeks ago. i didn’t really think about it but those definitely weren’t things i did before. and it’s the same logic

that is so funny. i have been buying candles lately and i just bought myself flowers for the first time a few weeks ago. i didn’t really think about it but those definitely weren’t things i did before. and it’s the same logic
Aromatherapy is one of the best mood boosters out there. If candles are your thing, you might also like diffusing essential oils. I have been obsessed with that this year as a form of self care. As far as spending goes, I think it has just shifted not really increased per say. For example my travel expenses has been non existent. Makeup purchases, what’s makeup? Entertainment = 9.99 Netflix subscription. I have been lucky to still be working. Work is even more stressful having to accommodate new protocols so that has been a whole new level of difficult. So I have just treated myself differently that’s all. I still work hard, or harder than before, so a little treat/reward now and then is good for my soul. I am glad to hear you have recovered from your illness. Definitely puts things into perspective doesn’t it?

Aromatherapy is one of the best mood boosters out there. If candles are your thing, you might also like diffusing essential oils. I have been obsessed with that this year as a form of self care. As far as spending goes, I think it has just shifted not really increased per say. For example my travel expenses has been non existent. Makeup purchases, what’s makeup? Entertainment = 9.99 Netflix subscription. I have been lucky to still be working. Work is even more stressful having to accommodate new protocols so that has been a whole new level of difficult. So I have just treated myself differently that’s all. I still work hard, or harder than before, so a little treat/reward now and then is good for my soul. I am glad to hear you have recovered from your illness. Definitely puts things into perspective doesn’t it?

thank you! it absolute puts things into perspective ❤️

i tend to get headaches at my mom’s when she is using essential oils as the smell is just so strong but i can definitely look into some more gentle ones. that is absolutely my situation as well. i’m not spending more but i am spending differently. i feel like i have taken the opportunity when some expenses are lower to purchase certain things because it makes more sense right now, mentally and financially.

It's not the pandemic per se, but the first lockdown certainly gave me plenty of time to reconsider how I consume, from food to frivolities. There are certain "luxuries" that I no longer wish to put my money on, either because they contribute to unsustainable practices (be it on the environmental or social issues), or because they're just not the kind of items that I want around me anymore.

As a whole, it's been a year of downsizing. Of course, I'm no saint, so there have been a few occasions where I bought something out of convenience's sake... and since I came back to tPF, some of the downsizing has been "multiples out, 1 (H) in." So can't say I've added to my savings all that much. :lol:

Idk if it was the pandemic as much as the aftereffects. Example a handful of friends who found themselves unemployed for the first time. Finding empty grocery shelves past the fresh produce. Watching my maternal side of the family throw caution to the wind and mock covid and still congregate.

I still love beautiful things as much as the next person but I've literally been living in my sweats for the past 14 months, with the occasional break for exercise garb when I visit the gym.

I dressed up nice once - for an outing with the girls because one really needed it since her only child just left for the airforce. We all joked that it felt like we were going on a date.

I think the need for corporate America to make a buck these days is now trumping morality in some parts. I see personal shoppers saying they will donate $10 out of a multi figure (at least 4 digits) purchase to donate to India. Wth?

And I see cities ease their restraints, not because it's safe but because the small businesses are struggling. This pandemic nearly wiped out the middle class in America. And now we're basically divided into two categories, the haves and the haves not.

What this pandemic allowed me to do is be more generous to others, to donate more to those I know and complete strangers because I've been there - when you have nothing and feel utterly alone. You won't understand until you've been utterly destitute yourself and find your own pantry empty and find yourself frying up carrot tops for substinance.

I did love it when certain fashion houses stepped up when the virus initially hit and immediately pivoted to make masks and try to save their people vs selling another pretty bag.

Nevertheless I wonder how retail will look a few years from now

@hermes_lemming which fashion houses stood out to you? :smile:
Off the top of my head, Chanel, Prada, LVMH and Hermes - based on their respective immediate reactions to the Covid crisis.

Here's some links in case anyone is interested. And to help put it in perspective - Say your business is worth 1billion.. given that, how much does 1million really mean? Especially when part of it can be a tax write off. And if you can purchase in bulk like some did and given their name, you can probably get a N95 mask for $1 wholesale.

Regardless, their actions made me give them a second glance when I otherwise would not as I'm getting up there in years and no one would give two bleeps what I wore.

Reactions: limom and LemonDrop
Off the top of my head, Chanel, Prada, LVMH and Hermes - based on their respective immediate reactions to the Covid crisis.

Here's some links in case anyone is interested. And to help put it in perspective - Say your business is worth 1billion.. given that, how much does 1million really mean? Especially when part of it can be a tax write off. And if you can purchase in bulk like some did and given their name, you can probably get a N95 mask for $1 wholesale.

Regardless, their actions made me give them a second glance when I otherwise would not as I'm getting up there in years and no one would give two bleeps what I wore.
What about those who launched a business based on COVID and profited from the pandemic?
Anyways, that is commerce for you.
A bright spot among retailers in the USA is Nordstrom’s.
They stood by their workers and satisfied shoppers need for retail therapy.
They are hiring right now, btw.

What about those who launched a business based on COVID and profited from the pandemic?
Anyways, that is commerce for you.
A bright spot among retailers in the USA is Nordstrom’s.
They stood by their workers and satisfied shoppers need for retail therapy.
They are hiring right now, btw.
If anything, this pandemic showed people's true morals whatever they may be.

I know who you speak of and want nothing to do with them. Hence the purposeful lack of mention.

Nordstrom stood by their workers like Hermes. Most stayed open within their respective city ordinance.

Reactions: limom

I know who you speak of and want nothing to do with them. Hence the purposeful lack of mention.

Nordstrom stood by their workers like Hermes. Most stayed open within their respective city ordinance.
And I have zero problem with that.
They waited until the very end to furlough. They pay more than most retailers and don’t squeeze their workers like panini.
It makes a difference imo.

Reactions: hermes_lemming

Many areas of Nordstrom stores are commission-only work environments. The employees who earn an hourly wage and commission tend not to be Nordstrom employees- they work for the company they represent (like Gucci, YSL, Fendi ...) Nordstrom is trying to be an American Galeries Lafayette. When I worked for the company (1970’s-80’s), I earned minimum wage and if I worked the floor, I made a tiny commission. Now many SA’s who work the general products floor have to sell like crazy and hope no one returns their purchases. It’s tough.
As for any changes in my luxury purchases- I still browse IG and luxury house websites, but I’m much more mindful of my purchases.

Reactions: limom
Many areas of Nordstrom stores are commission-only work environments. The employees who earn an hourly wage and commission tend not to be Nordstrom employees- they work for the company they represent (like Gucci, YSL, Fendi ...) Nordstrom is trying to be an American Galeries Lafayette. When I worked for the company (1970’s-80’s), I earned minimum wage and if I worked the floor, I made a tiny commission. Now many SA’s who work the general products floor have to sell like crazy and hope no one returns their purchases. It’s tough.
As for any changes in my luxury purchases- I still browse IG and luxury house websites, but I’m much more mindful of my purchases.
Wow.

I worked for Nordstrom too way back in the day *ahem* college. In my neck of the woods growing up in the states, they represented the top echelon of high retail so it was a honor to temporarily be part of the dream.

During my training, they taught us to first be wary of kidnappers and gave us first hand accounts of near misses and horror stories.

Then I got to be a "wrapper" at the young men's department. What this meant is that I was paid an hourly wage to wrap presents during the holidays. The problem here is that to the customer, it was impossible to distinguish me from a salesperson so I was constantly asked for help. Which lead to the next problem - who got credit for my sales.

No online or physical catfight could compare to squabbling over who got to keep my "commission" . And it got worse that one time I was mistaken for a personal shopper and this nice older man asked for assistance to help shop for their family. I pretty much quit after that and rather be an occasional customer