Has the pandemic changed your perspective on designer purchases?

The pandemic made me rethink my shopping habit altogether. I gathered every designer item I had that never got worn or maybe got worn once or twice and never again, and dropped them all off at my consignment store. (Like a pair of Margiela tabi boots that I realized would never ever look as cool on me as they do on other people, a Louis Vuitton bag that I held on to for sentimental reasons, a Balenciaga motorcycle bag that I never reached for, among others.)

Now I try to ask myself a dozen times if I’m actually going to wear a thing before I buy it, or if I’m just trying to keep up with a trend. That has helped me make more intentional purchases as opposed to just plain hoarding

Reactions: Polaremil
The long Sydney lockdown actually made me get back into bags/tPF after a long absence (years!). I hunted for old-school Balenciaga again... but also bought mid-range brands. Sent a few unloved bags/accessories just wasting away to consignment to offset some of my purchases.

A couple recent buys are probably a bit more impulse purchases but that’s alright. Next year, I’m planning on hunting a couple more that are tried and true loves and hopefully, I’ll go back in hibernation again so I can enjoy my bag stash.

During the pandemic, I stayed home most of the time and worked from home. I found myself constantly looking and browsing for bags, spending hours and hours on consignment sites because I just felt like apart from my work, I don't really have anything else to look forward to. The weather outside was always so gloomy and combined with the lockdown restrictions in Melbourne, it was hard.... to not empty my wallet

But fast forward, I still find myself frequently looking and scouring for bags. But I guess, hopefully it's just about time that hopefully, something more exciting will happen...

During the pandemic, I stayed home most of the time and worked from home. I found myself constantly looking and browsing for bags, spending hours and hours on consignment sites because I just felt like apart from my work, I don't really have anything else to look forward to. The weather outside was always so gloomy and combined with the lockdown restrictions in Melbourne, it was hard.... to not empty my wallet

But fast forward, I still find myself frequently looking and scouring for bags. But I guess, hopefully it's just about time that hopefully, something more exciting will happen...
I'm at the same space as you (except I browse fine jewellery now instead of bags).

Reactions: Kelly M
Got back into purchasing handbags. Dear boyfriend thinks I am obsessed. It is interesting reading all the threads on TPF.
I am learning a great deal! Don't go out much again "thanks to omicron". Needed a distraction and found a great one!

I guess it is my new hobby, and I look forward to warmer weather and things opening back up for the summer.

Thanks to you dear friends, I love my TPF education. :heart: :biggrin::smile:

I started paring down before the pandemic especially with clothes. I tried to follow the mantra that it needed to replace something, instead of something new for the heck of it which has greatly helped me not spend so much. I did buy a new Coach sling so I can remain hands free while grocery shopping, the pandemic purse that I do love for its ease and durability. Since I take public trans for work (way cheaper than paying for parking at my job) I use a backpack and no purse. It is a little :wtf: here so like another poster said I avoid logos so the Gucci & LV stay home. I looked at my savings the other day and was happily surprised at the amount. I have always been allergic to paying full retail and don't intend to start now. I found a pair of DYurman earrings I had wanted for a great price so that was my late 50th bday present to myself. If I don't feel like it is a bargain, than it will stay wherever it is. I am waiting for Ebay to send me a 'where have you been, we miss you' email :lol:. I am proud of myself although I was tempted recently from when I attended a Designer Bag Bingo to NOT look up a purse that they had (and I didn't win) to buy anyway.:angel:.