Has anyone ever had their leather handbag dyed?

I used both Fiebings and Tarrago. But if you just want to revive the color you can use Tarrago Self Shine Dye. Fievings is a penetrating dye but some have said, and I also noticed it leaves a metallic hue. I had to apply it as I wanted a blue undertone and not the pink original color I had underneath.

Thank yo so much, I was waiting for Fiebings but will also try Tarrago. I'm concerned when I dye, the dye will rub off. I heard Feibings need coating so it won't rub off, how is Tarrago?

Thank yo so much, I was waiting for Fiebings but will also try Tarrago. I'm concerned when I dye, the dye will rub off. I heard Feibings need coating so it won't rub off, how is Tarrago?

Tarrago is not like Fiebings which is a penetrating dye. Tarrago sits on the surface of the bag meaning that if you scratch it hard it will come off. Also other ladies have noticed chipping, that is why I had to stretch every little corner of the bag when dying it. I have noticed no flaking no chipping no fading nothing. The color is nicely shiny too. If you apply thin layers of Tarrago you will have no problem IMO, especially if you are dying the bag the same color it already is. I applied Fiebings only because I changed the color from pink to turquoise and I wanted, if scratched, to have blue underneath and not pink. I have to tell you though, that I wear the First hand held always, and I have this band on my finger that tends to scratch things (like the gear lever in my car) but the bag has had no damage up until now.

Tarrago is not like Fiebings which is a penetrating dye. Tarrago sits on the surface of the bag meaning that if you scratch it hard it will come off. Also other ladies have noticed chipping, that is why I had to stretch every little corner of the bag when dying it. I have noticed no flaking no chipping no fading nothing. The color is nicely shiny too. If you apply thin layers of Tarrago you will have no problem IMO, especially if you are dying the bag the same color it already is. I applied Fiebings only because I changed the color from pink to turquoise and I wanted, if scratched, to have blue underneath and not pink. I have to tell you though, that I wear the First hand held always, and I have this band on my finger that tends to scratch things (like the gear lever in my car) but the bag has had no damage up until now.

Thank you so much! I'm going to order Tarrago now :smile::smile:

Oh, one more question before I go experiment. What would you recommend for Phillip Lim Pashli? As you can see in the picture the bag was rubbed against something and now the leather looks grey...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    671.2 KB · Views: 1,267
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    609.3 KB · Views: 1,316
What I would do, since it is a very tiny area, is take any shoe dye in black and just put on the spot. I did the same thing on a Balenciaga Brogues Black City. I did it on one of the studs and it is as new. It was like this since I bought it, a little fading on the top of the stud (you needed a magnifying glass to see it but I did). So I fixed it this way and I think you should do the same.

However, since you are ordering Tarrago now if you are not satisfied with the results of the simple dye, try a small drop of Tarrago with a Q tip.

What I would do, since it is a very tiny area, is take any shoe dye in black and just put on the spot. I did the same thing on a Balenciaga Brogues Black City. I did it on one of the studs and it is as new. It was like this since I bought it, a little fading on the top of the stud (you needed a magnifying glass to see it but I did). So I fixed it this way and I think you should do the same.

However, since you are ordering Tarrago now if you are not satisfied with the results of the simple dye, try a small drop of Tarrago with a Q tip.

I thought of the same with the q-tip. Thanks so much for your advice!

I had my Chanel Lambskin Mini dyed from light pink to black and it came out beautifully! Just make sure to go to a place that has experience dyeing the type of leather your bag is made from. And as long as the color you are dyeing is a darker color than your current one, it shouldn't be a problem!

Reactions: VodooDoll
I had a dooney sherpa backpack dyed from fir to black. The tech from houston luggage repair in houston, tx explained leather bags could be dyed, provided your color is darker than its original color. And once you go black. You never go back. No pun intended

Hi, I recently got the rebecca minkoff mab mini in navy with woven pink trim. Not happy with the pink color but love the bag. How to color/paint the trim black. Pls help. Got it online so no chance to return.

Hi, I recently got the rebecca minkoff mab mini in navy with woven pink trim. Not happy with the pink color but love the bag. How to color/paint the trim black. Pls help. Got it online so no chance to return.

Hi, perhaps a professional working on bags could change the color, for edge coating there are many colors to choose from. I think there's a thread on this here somewhere.

Edit: Here's the edge coating thread: Sticky handles

You could also ask in the RM forum here: CARING for your RM bag...

All I can tell you is that I dyed my Balenciaga First on my own with Tarrago Self Shine Dye and I had great results.
IMG_1166.jpg