Has anyone ever bought a Birkin and realized you really didn't like it? (w/ pics)

Lawmomof5 ~ I just read your recent post about using the bag for few hours, then the store won't take it back becuse they cannot sell to others as "new" bag. I think in your case, maybe just resell it and wait until you are ready and feel comfortable, it's not worth to get the bag that make you feel guilty emotionally. Good luck dear. :hugs:

Thank you so much, I really needed to hear this. Yesterday was awful, it was raining and I was so worried about everything, the bag getting wet, it getting scuffed, one of my kids smearing something on it. It just wasn't enjoyable. I actually felt horrible after because I realized I was more worried about getting my bag out of the rain then getting my kids out of the rain and into the car safely! I just feel a lot of guilt. We are also in the middle of new house construction, so the timing was really awful. I just felt I had to buy it because it was offered and I had waited so long, and its beautiful. We don't have family nearby and I really only get out without the kids maybe 3-4 times per year, and I am just so worried that I won't get my use out of it. I am also worried about storing it for long periods of time because I heard the leather can dry out. "Im not sure if the store would take it back. It is in perfect condition and I didn't take the plastic off and just used it for a few hours,but they may not because it was used. To top it off, my church service today was about money and being "rich" and how well off we are compared to the rest of the world, and how we need to be responsible with God's blessings, etc. etc. and I now I feel more guilt!

I agree with those that have said it is not returnable for store credit, as you have used it. I am sorry to say it, but I would hope the store would not accept it as a return under these circumstances. Reselling is, of course, an option, and it would probably go fast. If your objection is chiefly the inconvenience of the hand-held style, keeping it for kids-free times (even if those are in the future) might be sensible, but if the concern is that your owning it is somehow immoral (though I hope you don't feel that way), then ridding yourself of it might be best. But please, be kind to yourself and ease up on the self-recrimination: trying to keep a new leather bag dry (though Epsom is hardy in that respect) versus keeping your kids dry doesn't sound to me like a necessary source of guilt. Kids drip-dry pretty reliably, as far as I know. :biggrin:

Your bag is stunning !!! I had a similar situation like you few years ago when my kids were very young. At that time I only used my K/B few times a year when I went out with my DH. However , life changes, no more toddlers in my life now as they grow up fast :smile:. Now I can really enjoy my bags even going out with my kids. Especially I like B35 when I going out with my kids, I can put a small water bottle, sun block or extra t-shirt for them. For me , it is like a tote bag and it is chic :smile:

Good luck !!!

So sorry to hear that you don't love it, but PLEASE do not feel bad....the Birkin is one of my least carried bags, and I don't have kids yet. It's really not good for running around unless you can tuck it over your shoulder, which is very hard with a 30. The Kelly is more practical - do you like that at all?

If you resell with one of the top resellers, like an Ann's, you will pay 15% or less commission at that price level (there is a calculation chart on their website). That's not much more than eBay/PayPal commission. You're unlikely to take a loss, or very little, given that the bag has been out of its box only once and it will probably still sell a bit above retail. You can also see if you have a friend who will buy it from you. I have passed quite a few H bags on to friends as they are hard to obtain.

So...I would suggest reselling. It doesn't sound like you love this bag enough to keep it til the kids are bigger. Take the cash and get a shoulder bag, or put the $$ away for a different "mommy treat". Or, if the money spent is now bothering you (I wrestle with this a lot), split the cash in half: donate half to a cause you care about (you can make an enormous difference with that much money) and keep half for a still wonderful treat.

You do seem to be feeling a little guilt about treating yourself so well....it's really ok. Moms are the hardest working people in the world. You DO deserve it :hugs:

Thank you so much, I really needed to hear this. Yesterday was awful, it was raining and I was so worried about everything, the bag getting wet, it getting scuffed, one of my kids smearing something on it. It just wasn't enjoyable. I actually felt horrible after because I realized I was more worried about getting my bag out of the rain then getting my kids out of the rain and into the car safely! I just feel a lot of guilt. We are also in the middle of new house construction, so the timing was really awful. I just felt I had to buy it because it was offered and I had waited so long, and its beautiful. We don't have family nearby and I really only get out without the kids maybe 3-4 times per year, and I am just so worried that I won't get my use out of it. I am also worried about storing it for long periods of time because I heard the leather can dry out. Im not sure if the store would take it back. It is in perfect condition and I didn't take the plastic off and just used it for a few hours, but they may not because it was used. To top it off, my church service today was about money and being "rich" and how well off we are compared to the rest of the world, and how we need to be responsible with God's blessings, etc. etc. and I now I feel more guilt!

I have 2 kids myself, and I find the birkin (mine are only in 30s and one shoulder birkin) cumbersome with kids. I loved it so much before and had no love for the kelly until my girls came along. Now I only buy kellys. Something so elegant about the bag and hands free! That said, weekdays I reach for my lindys, weekend with hubby and kids, kelly, for sure. My birkins haven't seen the light of day for a couple of years now but I still love the colors I bought and I know one day I will be able to enjoy them again. Keep the birkin if money won't be an issue. Like many mentioned, it might not be easy to get another one next time when you are ready for it. The kids will grow up one day!

I feel your pain... I was once encouraged by my husband (then fiancé) to sell my B. Thanks in part to this forum, we worked it out and I kept it and am SO happy that I did, and DH is too as I bought my B30 10 years ago and I think it is now almost $2000 more! My difference is that I had mine before kids and enjoyed it. I now have two kids (1 and 4) and rarely ever use it, but I do bring it out for date nights and shopping with friends without our kids. I took it out once when I was pregnant with the second and could not handle it plus a toddler! My next H purchase (someday) will likely be a Kelly to have the shoulder strap option. But I will still love my B.
So...if you can afford it, keep it, as I think you will be happy knowing it is in the closet for when you are able to use it. You are amazing having five kids, you deserve something special! But if financially it doesn't make sense, then let it go...

I bought my first Birkin (the same specs as your) when my son was 3 and daughter was 4 months old. Didn't use if for a few years. But now they are 7 and 4, and I get to enjoy my handheld bags when I'm on my own.
Keep it, you will regret selling it. It's so hard to get and the price increases every year.
Good luck!

As others have said, you can't return it. I would keep it for a while and think about what you might do. I understand the feeling of spending a lot of money on something when others are in need. My way to assuage that feeling is by making donations to various favorite causes. Often the same day. It makes me feel better.

I just wouldn't do anything rash that you might regret. You can always sell it a few months from now, but give yourself time to think about it when you are less emotional.

I agree with those that have said it is not returnable for store credit, as you have used it. I am sorry to say it, but I would hope the store would not accept it as a return under these circumstances. Reselling is, of course, an option, and it would probably go fast. If your objection is chiefly the inconvenience of the hand-held style, keeping it for kids-free times (even if those are in the future) might be sensible, but if the concern is that your owning it is somehow immoral (though I hope you don't feel that way), then ridding yourself of it might be best. But please, be kind to yourself and ease up on the self-recrimination: trying to keep a new leather bag dry (though Epsom is hardy in that respect) versus keeping your kids dry doesn't sound to me like a necessary source of guilt. Kids drip-dry pretty reliably, as far as I know. :biggrin:

I agree this bag should not be returned because it has been used, and in the rain as well [emoji27] I feel bad for the next owner if she's been waiting a few years for her dream bag only to get one that have been used, in the rain, and around young kids...

To OP, our lifestyle change over time and if I were you I'd keep the bag for date nights with hubby, girls day out or when the kids are older. It's easier to get a birkin now but it might not be the case if the global economy improves. The birkin is timeless so you can use it again in a few years when your kids are older.

So, I waited three years for a Birkin and this weekend I finally got one in an AMAZING color at the NYC Madison store. I didn't have a prior relationship with the SA (or really Hermes at all) and I wasn't expecting her to give it to me so I was shocked! I then drove a 10 hour round trip to pick it up.

I adore the color and craftsmanship, but I tried using it for one day and HATED it! I am going to cry just admitting that because I want to love it so badly. I have 4 kids and 1 on the way and I just felt like it was totally impractical. I have always used bags with straps that can be carried on my shoulder or cross body, so I wasn't used to carrying it on my forearm or in my hand. I have a 4 year old and 2 year old that kept trying to hold my hands, but the dang bag was always taking up one of my hands! I actually even accidentally smacked my two year old in the face with it at one point because she was trying to hold my hand and the birkin was in it! Then by the end of the day my shoulders and forearms were killing me and I had to keep switching it from arm to arm.

With 4 kids and 1 on the way this was definitely a splurge for us, and I don't even want to admit to my husband that I don't love it, but I really can't justify keeping a bag that I can't carry. I can't bring it back to the store because they will only give me store credit, so where do I go from here? Resale? Are there threads on the best sites to resell on? Should I try and stick it out and love it? Display it prominently in my house (kidding)?

And last but not least pictures (Birkin 35 Feu Orange in Epsom leather)

IMG_6538_zpsgwl2wi44.jpg

IMG_6536_zpskpg64jwo.jpg

IMG_6533_zpsnexigz6h.jpg

Omg, this wasn't supposed to be a funny post, but I could so relate to the slapstick energy, with the kids, and the bag, and the NO FREE HANDS! I think that maybe you need to track down a Kelly, or an Evelyne, maybe a Jypsiere?? If you like everything about this bag aside from the practicality, hang onto it, one day you will have two free hands ;) If not, sell it and buy an H bag with a strap. Good luck and please update us once you decide!

Thank you so much, I really needed to hear this. Yesterday was awful, it was raining and I was so worried about everything, the bag getting wet, it getting scuffed, one of my kids smearing something on it. It just wasn't enjoyable. I actually felt horrible after because I realized I was more worried about getting my bag out of the rain then getting my kids out of the rain and into the car safely! I just feel a lot of guilt. We are also in the middle of new house construction, so the timing was really awful. I just felt I had to buy it because it was offered and I had waited so long, and its beautiful. We don't have family nearby and I really only get out without the kids maybe 3-4 times per year, and I am just so worried that I won't get my use out of it. I am also worried about storing it for long periods of time because I heard the leather can dry out. Im not sure if the store would take it back. It is in perfect condition and I didn't take the plastic off and just used it for a few hours, but they may not because it was used. To top it off, my church service today was about money and being "rich" and how well off we are compared to the rest of the world, and how we need to be responsible with God's blessings, etc. etc. and I now I feel more guilt!

Hey again mama, I hear you. :hugs: I am supposed to be getting my K in 2 months (for my 40th), and guess what? For reasons beyond our control we have to buy a house NOW. Like tomorrow, now. I get the guilt, 100%. I am putting off my purchase until the end of the year (as was the original plan), because it is the responsible thing to do on many levels. But hey, you already have the bag!!! Obviously you don't have a broker breathing down your neck about irresponsible purchases as you are in the process of building at this time. Hooray for that! :biggrin: So, my advice, if you loved the bag, and felt it was practical, you wouldn't be having the guilt. Sell this bag, turn around and buy one with a strap. Maybe take some time and play with a few different styles and see what is comfortable and makes you smile. because these bags NEED to make us smile! I bet you will be able to sell for about as much as you paid, if not a bit more?? Oh, I loved your post, it made me feel like I am not alone in this. I am sending you many happy wishes and have my fingers crossed that everything will work itself out as it should be! And remember, even if you don't plan to resell, these bags are an investment in your own wardrobe. The quality lends itself to being the bag that you use for years and years, and then pass down. That fact takes a bit of the sting out of the price. It is not disposable fashion, and that is a very rare thing nowadays.

Darling I am so sorry that this is not the exact experience you had in mind when you purchased it

I can definitely relate as my b's arrived after rd and yes like others have said they havent seen the light of the day much especially black.box and Epsom is very different

I do agree that selling may be an option and I think you will have the cash back on your hands very soon

Should you not need the cash immediately maybe consider keeping her if 35 works for you

And darling please sleep on it for a week before you make a decision so you may have a better idea of what you want

Sent from my SM-G9350 using PurseForum mobile app

Lawmom, I'm sorry to hear it isn't working out for you. It sure is gorgeous, though!

Kind of veering off topic here, but how is it possible to return it for an exchange or store credit? If you used it even for a few hours, it still has been used. Do the boutiques accept the return and then resell the bag as new?

Sorry completely forgot that she had already used it!! Of course I don't think Hermes will take it back for exchange/store credit after being used.

I have two kids and thankfully my husband had the foresight to say you never would carry a birkin since you need two hands free. I'm also worried about the weight of the bag. I bought a fendi peekaboo instead. It's somewhat heavy but I can wear it with a long strap. I looked at the Kelly too but it seems a bit dated sometimes.

Thank you so much! Everyone here has been so encouraging! I think because of timing, I need to resell it. I won't return to store because of the used aspect, which I totally understand, and also because the funds are more important right now. I may try the kelly at another point, I am not sold on the style the way I love the style of the Birkin (if it were practical for me!). You all have given me so much to think about and I really appreciate everyone's support! I know that because of pregnancy hormones I have blown this into way more than it should be! Plus, building a house while pregnant might be the worst thing ever, haha. Way way too many decisions for a hormonal pregnant woman, for example, they misplaced the wiring for our chandelier, so it wouldn't have been centered over our dining room table and, even though it was an easy fix, I just wanted to cry until it was perfect! :P

Hey again mama, I hear you. :hugs: I am supposed to be getting my K in 2 months (for my 40th), and guess what? For reasons beyond our control we have to buy a house NOW. Like tomorrow, now. I get the guilt, 100%. I am putting off my purchase until the end of the year (as was the original plan), because it is the responsible thing to do on many levels. But hey, you already have the bag!!! Obviously you don't have a broker breathing down your neck about irresponsible purchases as you are in the process of building at this time. Hooray for that! :biggrin: So, my advice, if you loved the bag, and felt it was practical, you wouldn't be having the guilt. Sell this bag, turn around and buy one with a strap. Maybe take some time and play with a few different styles and see what is comfortable and makes you smile. because these bags NEED to make us smile! I bet you will be able to sell for about as much as you paid, if not a bit more?? Oh, I loved your post, it made me feel like I am not alone in this. I am sending you many happy wishes and have my fingers crossed that everything will work itself out as it should be! And remember, even if you don't plan to resell, these bags are an investment in your own wardrobe. The quality lends itself to being the bag that you use for years and years, and then pass down. That fact takes a bit of the sting out of the price. It is not disposable fashion, and that is a very rare thing nowadays.