Has anyone ever bought a Birkin and realized you really didn't like it? (w/ pics)

So, I waited three years for a Birkin and this weekend I finally got one in an AMAZING color at the NYC Madison store.

I can't bring it back to the store because they will only give me store credit, so where do I go from here? Resale? Are there threads on the best sites to resell on? Should I try and stick it out and love it? Display it prominently in my house (kidding)?

And last but not least pictures (Birkin 35 Feu Orange in Epsom leather)

You could also return to store and consider an exchange for a Kelly? Sounds more practical for you with the young children, the shoulder strap gives you the hands free option. I am sure if you explain to your SA s/he would understand!

Lawmom, I'm sorry to hear it isn't working out for you. It sure is gorgeous, though!

Kind of veering off topic here, but how is it possible to return it for an exchange or store credit? If you used it even for a few hours, it still has been used. Do the boutiques accept the return and then resell the bag as new?

Reactions: mcmc
When I got my first B back in 2007, my boys were 3 years old. Not practical at all. So, I would only use it if I was going somewhere without them. It was my "special event" bag. As they got older and more independent, I was able to use the bag more often. Now, my Gold B is my workhorse and I adore it. So, maybe you can still use the bag here and there until kids are bigger and then you can use it more regularly. Good luck!

+1
I am sorry to hear that you are not in love with the bag.

I use my Birkin when I am not with my DS and enjoy every bit of it:smile:. As other lovely tpfers mentioned, your kids will not be little forever. You are a super mom!!!! You deserve all the treats that you've ever wanted. Have you considered a Kelly? It is an awesome alternative. Good luck with your decision!

Do you think you will use the bag more once the kids are older? If so, I would keep it and get something else to use now. If you no longer like the bag at all, then sell - you likely won't take much of a loss if any. I have a 4 yr old and 1.5 year old and I use my 30b here and there with, find my kellys easier to use with kids. My 35bs I use for work or if I am out on my own. The kids won't be little forever, unfortunately.

I think you dont hate it
Just not practical for lifestyle currently
This bag will never be out
Dont like now
Maybe like later
Dont use now
Maybe suit more later
If money no issue
Keep it
Think hard
Get a kelly or lindy for now
Remember this bag not easy to buy off shelves or
Anytime you want
Plus h increases price almost every year

I have a 2 yr old as well and my Birkin has sat on display in my house for quite a while now. I love it too much to sell but realize my son will grow up and I will be free to carry my Birkin as I please. Right now I am just enjoying the time I have with him. Take it one day at a time. If you love the Birkin keep it. It will always be there.

When I felt the weight of a Birkin 35 in Togo I couldn't imagine carrying it everyday let alone filling it with my stuff, I have to carry bags for long periods of time. I have some too-heavy bags already and I know it puts me off. That was of course before buying. It's a big bag to just have sitting around for me so I left it.

I know the Epsom is lighter which is a plus. Only you know whether you actually hate the bag or it just doesn't fit with your lifestyle for now. I could never justify having a bag nesting in my wardrobe for years and years waiting for my kids to grow-up, but I'm sure there may be occasions you could use it when you don't have to take the kids with you somewhere. If you really hate the bag then sell it and buy one that you love and suits you better, it'll be a weight off your mind.

Wow, such a gorgeous bag! I have to agree with many others here though, if it is not the bag for you, perhaps you should either return it (if you can) or resell it. There are other beautiful choices that would work better with five little ones. When the time is right, there will be a birkin for you!

My dear, I am so sorry to hear about your disappointment but I completely understand and this is not the end of the world, or the end of your Hermes love. NOW is simply not the time for a Birkin. In my mind, you have a few options. I too think Ann's is a great resale option. You can financially recover. Or, if you really LOVE Ms. Orange, keep her until the babies are a little older. If you can take her back for a credit and you know you will one day use it, that is a good option of course.

I think the most important thing is to let the mental anguish go--set it free. Your children and family are the only things that matter. You lost a day--okay---no biggie. Right now, this feels HUGE, but it is not. I am in no way trying to diminish the reality of your dismay, rather, trying to help you with perspective.

Like many of us on this forum, I have lived several Hermes Traumas--but at the end of the day, or week, or month, once I recover, I shake my head with a chuckle and incredulity at the steps I continue to take that will make me a better decision maker the next time around.

Be kind to yourself my dear.

Thank you so much, I really needed to hear this. Yesterday was awful, it was raining and I was so worried about everything, the bag getting wet, it getting scuffed, one of my kids smearing something on it. It just wasn't enjoyable. I actually felt horrible after because I realized I was more worried about getting my bag out of the rain then getting my kids out of the rain and into the car safely! I just feel a lot of guilt. We are also in the middle of new house construction, so the timing was really awful. I just felt I had to buy it because it was offered and I had waited so long, and its beautiful. We don't have family nearby and I really only get out without the kids maybe 3-4 times per year, and I am just so worried that I won't get my use out of it. I am also worried about storing it for long periods of time because I heard the leather can dry out. Im not sure if the store would take it back. It is in perfect condition and I didn't take the plastic off and just used it for a few hours, but they may not because it was used. To top it off, my church service today was about money and being "rich" and how well off we are compared to the rest of the world, and how we need to be responsible with God's blessings, etc. etc. and I now I feel more guilt!

Thank you so much, I really needed to hear this. Yesterday was awful, it was raining and I was so worried about everything, the bag getting wet, it getting scuffed, one of my kids smearing something on it. It just wasn't enjoyable. I actually felt horrible after because I realized I was more worried about getting my bag out of the rain then getting my kids out of the rain and into the car safely! I just feel a lot of guilt. We are also in the middle of new house construction, so the timing was really awful. I just felt I had to buy it because it was offered and I had waited so long, and its beautiful. We don't have family nearby and I really only get out without the kids maybe 3-4 times per year, and I am just so worried that I won't get my use out of it. I am also worried about storing it for long periods of time because I heard the leather can dry out. Im not sure if the store would take it back. It is in perfect condition and I didn't take the plastic off and just used it for a few hours, but they may not because it was used. To top it off, my church service today was about money and being "rich" and how well off we are compared to the rest of the world, and how we need to be responsible with God's blessings, etc. etc. and I now I feel more guilt!
[emoji24] My advice would be to think it over a few days...and if the bag is not making you happy then to resell it. I personally would not feel right about returning a bag to the store that has been out (especially in the rain). You will have no problems reselling this bag it is beautiful!

Reactions: mcmc
And they said Epsom was the lightest leather, and after yesterday I can't imagine how heavy the other leathers are! Maybe I need to start going to the gym!

I've said this before in this forum that it is worthwhile to buy some lightweight weights (I have 2lb, 5lb and 10lb) and use them to strengthen your arms. Weights are very inexpensive. Currently I do 30 reps of arm extensions (lifting weight up by extending arm straight up) and I do this 3-4 times/week. I use the 10lb weight but built up to it. I know this helps b/c I have plastic tubs of fabric and out of season clothes that I hoist around looking for things and since I've been doing the weights my arms don't hurt.

It's good to have some degree of upper body strength.

I have heard of ordering a Evelyn strap for B's altho it evidently takes a while. Maybe a luggage shop or on-line would have a canvas strap you can use?

You seem to love the color of the B and so I hesitate to say sell it. It used to be that the novelty of new scarf patterns would be a reason to sell ones I maybe hadn't worn for a while. Now, after doing that for years I am reluctant to sell b/c I finally realize some colorways or patterns are irreplaceable.

I've held on to bags or garments for some time (years) before using them. People are right, the kids will get older and the prices of B's will only increase. If you want a pretty B then the colors you like may not available. Plus it sounds like this B came like manna from heaven, without you having to buy a bunch of stuff to convince the SA you're serious. You can always hang on to it for a year and see how you feel then.

Anyone who takes on the challenge of raising 5 kids deserves a pretty B in my book. You'll have the expense of saving for college, special lessons or trips for the kids in the future, and so forth. A B may be difficult to justify at that time but now you've got one and you do love the color. Sounds like a keeper to me.

Reactions: califl
I have two boys so I can relate. If you can, keep the Birkin. You can always use it if you are ever able to go out without the kids. For example, lunch date with friends or dinner with husband, or shopping in your own. The kids will eventually get older and you will get more chances to use and appreciate the bag. If you see yourself in the future with a Birkin on your hand, then keep it!

+ 1, totally agree. Lifestyle will change eventually so is the price on a beautiful Birkin. I would keep it "Unless" you really dislike Birkin for its style. Good luck dear on your decision.