Has anyone been on a tour of Europe? by yourself? few Q's......

wow, i wouldn't do particularly many one-three day stops. for small cities it might be fine, but it's very stressful, especially if you're going to a lot of places. you'll get a lot more out of your trip if you pace yourself and really see everything properly. i always get a bit dumbfounded when people tell me they "did france" or whatever in two days.

wow, i wouldn't do particularly many one-three day stops. for small cities it might be fine, but it's very stressful, especially if you're going to a lot of places. you'll get a lot more out of your trip if you pace yourself and really see everything properly. i always get a bit dumbfounded when people tell me they "did france" or whatever in two days.

I agree. I think it's more worthwhile to go slowly and really see a place than to rush through as many places as you can go. Plus you'll save money on transportation.

I traveled by myself after high school, and it was one of the best times of my life. Hostels are great for meeting people and getting recommendations on what to do, and if you're planning on being out all day anyway, I don't think it's worth paying more to stay in a hotel. As long as you take flip flops and a good lock, then you should have no problems.

I'd add that if you do go alone and not on a packaged tour, and you find you're getting lonely, try to go on some smaller tours (anywhere from a couple hours to a full day or more). That way you'll meet other travelers and you'll have more opportunities for socializing or even just chatting. You may even meet someone you'll want to travel with.

Oh and when you're walking by yourself in certain countries? Be prepared to have men hitting on you, walking behind you making kissing sounds, etc.

Oh and when you're walking by yourself in certain countries? Be prepared to have men hitting on you, walking behind you making kissing sounds, etc.

any particular countries you might be thinking of? :lol:

it still shocks me every time, i grew up in finland where i can only ever see this happening if the person isn't from there, or if it's the middle of the night and the person in question has put away at least a brewery if not a distillery on top of that :biggrin: the same goes for scandinavia too in my experience.

in london people are too blasé to bother most of the time, but there are certain areas where it does happen.

any particular countries you might be thinking of? :lol:

I wouldn't want to offend anyone in any of those countries, because I suppose it's a cultural thing. But it's a shock when you're not used to it, for instance when I was an chubby child of 15 and I could understand enough of the language to know that what the man was suggesting was not the sort of thing my parents sent me to Europe to learn;).

I went to Europe by myself last year.

1.how long did you go for? 8 days

2.where did you go? Paris, Milan, Zurich (I was attending a wedding outside of Zurich and was alone up until the wedding at the very end of the trip.)

3.how long ago? 2007

4. Was it a packaged trip or did you do it at your own pace ? All on my own

5.how much did it all cost once it was done with (sorry for getting personal but I just wanted an idea of what to expect) $2K, this includes everything! I'm not a foodie, so I hardly spent any money on restaurants.

6. What was your favorite destination? Milan, hands down. I wish I'd had more time to see other cities in Italy!

Traveling alone was a little lonely, and I say that as a person who lives alone and has moved to several cities in the US by myself. For me, it was pretty isolating - when you don't have anyone to talk to all day, and you don't speak the language, it can be tough. You hear conversations around you but you aren't part of them, and (for me), that was tough. I thought I would meet other travelers and I didn't; I wasn't prepared for that.