Hardware condition and thoughts (Plating wear vs oxidation vs tarnished)

hellectra

May 19, 2019
Hi!! :smile:
I currently own 2 Jypsières and 1 Evelyne, after several years admiring Hermes Kellys and Birkins, I was thinking to try the preloved route, I mean, I know I will love the bag, I just had a financial mental block on the cost .. so I sold some of my unused bags to help me jump that mental block.
Now, I am not of English mother tongue and I was wondering if you have some expertise in the description of the hardware condition and what is best and what to avoid.

When I read "scratches", or faint scratches, hairline scratches, surface scratches, I think I know what to expect (it depends on the website but it's quite clear).
When I read "tarnished", I believe I also know. I used to take care of the hardware of my bags with products that would help me tone down or remove the tarnishing so I guess tarnishing is not that much of a concern, or is it with Hermes?

When they mention "oxidation" and "plating wear", on for example palladium hardware on Kellys or Birkins, I am not quite sure how bad this is, if there is a specific condition that I really should stay away from.
I know the SPA services would change the Hermes hardware but sometimes I hear that they will only change it if it malfunctions, not for aesthetics reasons.

I mean, if the preloved bags are in excellent condition, except for hardware plating wear or oxidation, how much of a deal breaker is it when it comes to Hermes Kellys and Birkins?
It would be so insanely helpful to get some feedback from you, about your personal experience with preloved hardware condition and if you eventually restore it, even if it's only a partial reviving.

I am really dying to get a Kelly or a Birkin for quite a long time, going new is an option that I also envisioned but I have been waiting for a while, I think it will happen at some point but I think I have enough of waiting and the bags that I find on the preloved market that are matching my wishlist are in fantastic condition, just the hardware is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I thank you so much for taking time out of your day to help me!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Just saw this- so sorry for the late response!
Scratches are just what you say, and only you know how scratched is "too scratched" for you. But many CAN be buffed out by spa.
Tarnish may or may not be able to be removed with appropriate cleaner ( but please be careful-Docride suggests an eraser tip)
Oxidation cannot be removed, nor can plate wearing. It is permanent and only you can decide if that is a deal breaker or not. Spa CAN replace hardware, but it is not cheap, and that may decide everything for you.

Bottom line- you know what you want the bag for, what you can live with, what will make you happy and what you can afford. Don't let anyone else talk you into it. And whatever you decide, please just use and enjoy your bag! :flowers:

Hermes will replace hardware when the plating has worn off. They will not change out the color of the original hardware. I bought a pre-owned barenia birkin and the hardware at the turn lock needed replacing.

Reactions: QuelleFromage
Sorry for bumping this thread if there’s a more appropriate route. I don’t visit very often, I can’t afford to feed the habit!

Does anyone know the price to replace Birkin palladium hardware, primarily the two ‘hooks’ through which the straps go and the tabs?

I want to consign a buffalo bag that I have never really liked - I bought from a reputable reseller in a moment of extreme weakness, but that’s another story. It’s quite old, the leather is in good condition, the turn lock is good, but the tabs are scratched and pitted and the hooks are horrible - it’s been in its box for nearly ten years and I am sure it was fine when stored.

Does anyone think it’s worth the trouble (and the time) or should I consign as is? I can’t afford to wait indefinitely as we are downsizing and all bags must go, but presumably the spa is backed up due to COVID?

All thoughts and advice greatly appreciated!

Sorry for bumping this thread if there’s a more appropriate route. I don’t visit very often, I can’t afford to feed the habit!

Does anyone know the price to replace Birkin palladium hardware, primarily the two ‘hooks’ through which the straps go and the tabs?

I want to consign a buffalo bag that I have never really liked - I bought from a reputable reseller in a moment of extreme weakness, but that’s another story. It’s quite old, the leather is in good condition, the turn lock is good, but the tabs are scratched and pitted and the hooks are horrible - it’s been in its box for nearly ten years and I am sure it was fine when stored.

Does anyone think it’s worth the trouble (and the time) or should I consign as is? I can’t afford to wait indefinitely as we are downsizing and all bags must go, but presumably the spa is backed up due to COVID?

All thoughts and advice greatly appreciated!
My advice would be to get a quote from Hermès to replace the metal parts you mention -and a rough timeframe for how long it will take from dropping the bag off/receiving a quote and getting the bag back (this will depend on location as some cities have in house craftspeople) Then work out whether the cost and time make it worth your while having it fixed prior to selling.
It may also be worth getting quotes from the companies you plan to consign to how much you will get for the bag as-is as opposed to fixed.
Perhaps it would help others to answer your question if you posted a picture of the bag and damage you mention on this thread.
I hope this helps

Reactions: diane278 and cravin
EA86631D-CE2C-4E87-8A83-E03585966F1D.jpeg

As suggested, a picture to gain some context. This side is the one with the most tarnish. Resizing it doesn’t look so bad, but I don’t think it will polish off.

My advice would be to get a quote from Hermès to replace the metal parts you mention -and a rough timeframe for how long it will take from dropping the bag off/receiving a quote and getting the bag back (this will depend on location as some cities have in house craftspeople) Then work out whether the cost and time make it worth your while having it fixed prior to selling.
It may also be worth getting quotes from the companies you plan to consign to how much you will get for the bag as-is as opposed to fixed.
Perhaps it would help others to answer your question if you posted a picture of the bag and damage you mention on this thread.
I hope this helps
Thanks, see above, sorry I couldn’t combine into the one post.

• Thanks
Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags