Handbags without the Bulls... eh hem markup

Ghettoe

Ghettoe
O.G.
Sep 2, 2012
Hi all,

Are there any no BS handbag brands without the markup?

For instance, you know how in skin care brands like the ordinary have become popular? Basically, you have a vitamin C serum that's like $60. The ordinary comes along and says, buy ours for $9, it's the exact same thing. Paying $90 for Rosehip oil? Here's ours without the BS at $6. On top of that they leave negative reviews on their site. PS. I really am not here to advertise this brand, their vitamin C is satan's work, that **** burns even after diluting, do not recommend!

This made me wonder, are there any handbag brands that are like this? Could be indie brands too. On this note, I am not looking for contemporary brands either as, I love my longchamp, but the rational part of me is always going, you bought a nylon bag with leather handles for $100+ when you know full well it's true value is probably $10.

In cosmetics, beauty supplies and medicines, it's easier to have a no bs brand because much of what makes the branded product great is the chemical composition / ingredients. Barring patent issues, another manufacturer can easily copy and ride the coat tails of someone else's marketing dollars.

Fashion items, like handbags, could theoretically have a no bs equivalent if all we looked at was materials. We could determine the source and treatment of leathers, canvas, hardware, etc. Even if the "generic" didn't have exactly the same level of materials, we could be ok if it was very close and provided a commensurate price discount.

But, two other "ingredients" are VERY hard to quantify and compare - craftsmanship and design. Craftmanship is critically important. If you put Hermes leather in my hands and ask me to make a bag, I'll make a mess. :lol: Design is also vital - unless you are looking for a simple sack, you have a preference for certain designs. Many (of course not all) design elements aren't available except on pricier bags.

I wish there were a clear Toyota / Lexus option for bags. Get the quality and 70% of the style at half the price. Or even a clear Hyundai option - get something serviceable and reliable with some minimal style for a fraction of the price. But I'm not sure what that is. Some options:

• Perhaps Michael Kors - especially on sale - as a close sub for some of the premier brands? Many of his styles replicate more expensive bags and I haven't heard anyone say they are poor quality.
Coach has very good quality and also reliably goes on sale. Plus they aren't replicating premier designs. If you like their aesthetic, that's an option.
• Dooney has good quality bags with their own designs.
• There is a very happy Massaccesi fan base here on TPF.
• Etsy is a place some TPF'rs find good quality bags. I haven't found anything to fit my aesthetic - most of the bags I've seen are softer, unstructured bags. But, I admit I haven't looked hard.

Can't wait to see what other options people list. :tup:

In cosmetics, beauty supplies and medicines, it's easier to have a no bs brand because much of what makes the branded product great is the chemical composition / ingredients.
Disagree, especially regarding medicines.
Is complicated, but profile results of generic must be same.
Only binders, inactive ingredients vary.
---
I interpreted OP ? to regard overall company strategy. Which covers markup for production costs, marketing, brick & mortar store costs, etc.
Oliver Cabell owner explains more here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fa...ll-wants-to-disrupt-the-luxury-fashion-market

Disagree, especially regarding medicines.
Is complicated, but profile results of generic must be same.
Only binders, inactive ingredients vary.
---
I interpreted OP ? to regard overall company strategy. Which covers markup for production costs, marketing, brick & mortar store costs, etc.
Oliver Cabell owner explains more here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fa...ll-wants-to-disrupt-the-luxury-fashion-market
<sigh> On meds. Well, of course. Profiles the same. But, if we want to be technical, performance may not be. You mention just one element, binders, which can make huge differences - not the least of which is allergic reactions. And, others don't have equal efficacy with every population because of differences of genetics, other meds, other conditions, etc., etc.

But, I didn't think it was necessary to go to school on scripts or cosmetics or car brands, etc. for the purposes of trying to get a construct for discussing handbags and what I perceived as OP's desire to not spend out the wazoo for premier or contemporary to get a high quality bag.

I don't have the answer on what the great non branded bag options are but I can see why it may be harder to identify non BS handbags thatn it is to find a good non BS sunscreen or analgesic.

Reactions: taho and Hobbsy
Oh I don’t know. . . There’s nothing wrong with a “Non BS” handbag. I use them myself, but. . . still there’s nothing on earth like a Good Chanel handbag or a really good high quality lipstick.

I second Everlane in terms of transparent pricing.

They aren't transparent, but Mansur Gavriel is/was a good value, although I'm pretty sure their prices have climbed a bit. Manu Atelier, Kara and Danse Lente may be worth a look as well.

As another poster suggested, Coach may be an option. They're trying so hard to be competitive in the luxury marketplace after shooting themselves in the foot for becoming a monogrammed mall brand mess.

I happen to think these reasonably-priced companies make nice handbags: Frye, MCM, JW Hulme Co., FOUNT Leather, HOBO, and Fossil. I didn’t care for Fossil a few years ago, but I think they’ve really upgraded their designs in the last 2 years. I also like Coach.

Reactions: BAGWANNABE
From observation, i don't think you can get a bag equal to premier brand quality at 100. By quality, I mean material, construction and design elements. I do think you can get a bag equal to that quality at ~1000 for a medium size bag.
See the good coach or MCM purses as examples. Or even the more moderately priced "premier" mulberry, who does several bags around ~ 1000. After that, I think your paying for branding and the cost of fancy boutiques.

Some good quality bags exist at lower price points - 300, say. But - like cuyana - they are minimalist bags which have less expensive design elements. Some of the high end bags have a lot of busy-ness going on that makes them more expensive to construct. Go into a Gucci boutique. Some of those bags are complicated.

Last edited:
I think if you are looking for a high quality bag without the heavy marketing and mass production, your best bet would be looking into getting a bespoke bag. Even then, those bags can be significantly more than some contemporary or premier bags on the market.

Reactions: Sparkletastic