Hand rearing baby Sparrows

Your planning on releasing them right?

What do you do when it comes time to fly? Is it something you have to help them learn or does it come naturally?

Yes we will release them. We have a spare aviary here so when they are fully fledged & can eat independently we will put them in there for a while & try to teach them to find food. Initially we will put up a feeder. Then when they are ready to release we will leave the feeder & they will be able to return for food if they need to. Hopefully they will stay around.
Yes flying will come naturally!

Thanks everyone, so far, so good all are still alive & doing well. Still worried about the youngest 4 but hopefully they will come on well!

Thanks it's a cute pic :smile:

Yes they cheep quite a lot but as soon as we come near they cheep louder, open their mouths & beg, think they would feed all day long if they could, lol!

They scramble all over one another & give me heart attacks at times lol I think they are going to kill the ones underneath but they manage.

The weakest of the other nest just perked up & took some food from me so here's hoping, it would be great if all survived!

Sad news I'm afraid, last night one of the youngest four died! No reason, he wasn't even the one that we thought was the weakest!
Other 8 are doing well!

Sorry to hear that. But my guess is even in the wild not all of them would survive. But I am not a wild bird expert so maybe I am wrong.
Hang in there!

& another this afternoon, the weakest of the 4 young ones. So disappointing & sad really but they were just too young I guess :sad:

You are right Irish perhaps not all would survive in the wild but you just feel so responsible when you are trying to help.

The 5 older ones are thriving! Just hope we can keep the two younger ones now!

The five older ones, mouths open as always. LOL! Getting loads of feathers now, I reckon they will be hopping around soon!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2847_95776611163_704356163_2506758_1614532_n.jpg
    2847_95776611163_704356163_2506758_1614532_n.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 191