HACHI - The Most Loyal Dog

This is the only explanation/reason that makes me understand why our pets leave before we do.
If we were to go 1st most of them will feel like Hachi, and it will be unfair to them

*sniff* I cried just reading all of your comments. Don't think I can handle the preview. Dogs are so amazing. Thanks for reminding me to give my dogs an extra squeeze today.

I loved the Japanese Hachi moves (there is a couple).

But I was rather annoyed to see previews for the US version.

I guess I'm just rather ticked that in the past few years, the US has been remaking a variety of Japanese and Korean movies... Which wouldn't bother me if the new version was BETTER. But it annoys the crap out of me when a remake is done and isn't as good as the original or any of the previous remakes. Which so far, the US has failed to do. (my american cinema pride is gone.) I don't even know if I'll go see the new Hachi, because if its not better than the previous ones... It will really spoil it for me.

I get irritated now every time I watch:

The uninvited (based on tale of two sisters, a Korean film) < Tale of Two Sisters is THE grail of all the films I've ever seen. I LOVE this movie, its feel and cinematography. Its amazing. A must see. I can't say the same for "The Uninvited".

The Grudge and sequels (Ju On and sequels. Japanese)
The Ring and sequels (Ringu and sequels. Japanese)
One Missed Call (One Missed Call and sequels. Japanese)
Dark Water (Dark Water. Japanese)
Pulse (Kairo. Japanese)
The Lake House (Il Mare. Korean)
The Departed (Internal Affairs and sequels. Chinese)

The list goes on and on and on and on. Ugh.

So I'm rather put off about the new Hachi.

Wow, I didn't know the "Lake House" and "Departed" were dupes of imports... what's going on with American cinema?? I noticed they are starting to "remake" older American movies as well... what's up with that? No new or Fresh ideas?? Grrrr....

I haven't seen the import versions of the "Lake House" or the "Departed" - but enjoyed those movies quite well... are the imports better?

I loved the Japanese Hachi moves (there is a couple).

But I was rather annoyed to see previews for the US version.

I guess I'm just rather ticked that in the past few years, the US has been remaking a variety of Japanese and Korean movies... Which wouldn't bother me if the new version was BETTER. But it annoys the crap out of me when a remake is done and isn't as good as the original or any of the previous remakes. Which so far, the US has failed to do. (my american cinema pride is gone.) I don't even know if I'll go see the new Hachi, because if its not better than the previous ones... It will really spoil it for me.

I get irritated now every time I watch:

The uninvited (based on tale of two sisters, a Korean film) < Tale of Two Sisters is THE grail of all the films I've ever seen. I LOVE this movie, its feel and cinematography. Its amazing. A must see. I can't say the same for "The Uninvited".

The Grudge and sequels (Ju On and sequels. Japanese)
The Ring and sequels (Ringu and sequels. Japanese)
One Missed Call (One Missed Call and sequels. Japanese)
Dark Water (Dark Water. Japanese)
Pulse (Kairo. Japanese)
The Lake House (Il Mare. Korean)
The Departed (Internal Affairs and sequels. Chinese)

The list goes on and on and on and on. Ugh.

So I'm rather put off about the new Hachi.

Yep, in my opinion, much better.

Suppossedly, they're making an American remake of Battle Royal too. Which is likely to bomb royally, given that the success and entire theme of the story is wrapped around Japanese societal extremes. And that the characters are all uniform with the exception of their true natures. Something I have very little faith that a US movie could pull off. Because its not just the story, its how everything is presented. Just like with The Uninvited and Tale of two sisters. What made Tale of Two Sisters phenominal was how it was presented, the selection and portrayal of the characters, the cinematography and feel of the movie, ect. Most of which recieved no consideration or effort what so ever on the American end.

For those wanting to see Hachi, who havent seen the Japanese ones yet, I recommend you at least see both, and if not... Perhaps see the Japanese one instead. It is, after all, a Japanese true story of great importance and pride to Japan. And I doubt the US cinema will do it much more justice.

A fanvideo movie preview of Hachiko Monogatari:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3s11acb7Z8

And related Trivia on Akitas:

Did you know that the Japanese considered Masked Akitas, well known to the AKC standard, to be a sign of mix-breeding by some? Its undesirable in Japanese Akitas (and a disqualifier) and as a result American lines are considered an entirely seperate breed from the native Akita Inu of Japan.

The AKC allows all colors and markings, the Japanese allow only 5 colors. American Akitas have chow-like heads, where as Japanese Akita inu are bred to be more fox-like, just as the Shiba inu is.

Like the Jindo of Korea, the Akita Inu is officially a National Monument of Japan.

Last edited:
BG, do you know where I could get the imported versions of Hachiko?

Also, Good info on the Akitas... I never knew that. I did notice that the Akita's in the US have straighter tails; while the akita's from Japan have curly tails. But yes, when I think about it now... I do notice the prominent "fox" face.

I also didn't know till recently that the Akita's are Fiercely Loyal (as Hachiko demonstrates)... more so than other breeds.

Yep, in my opinion, much better.

Suppossedly, they're making an American remake of Battle Royal too. Which is likely to bomb royally, given that the success and entire theme of the story is wrapped around Japanese societal extremes. And that the characters are all uniform with the exception of their true natures. Something I have very little faith that a US movie could pull off. Because its not just the story, its how everything is presented. Just like with The Uninvited and Tale of two sisters. What made Tale of Two Sisters phenominal was how it was presented, the selection and portrayal of the characters, the cinematography and feel of the movie, ect. Most of which recieved no consideration or effort what so ever on the American end.

For those wanting to see Hachi, who havent seen the Japanese ones yet, I recommend you at least see both, and if not... Perhaps see the Japanese one instead. It is, after all, a Japanese true story of great importance and pride to Japan. And I doubt the US cinema will do it much more justice.

A fanvideo movie preview of Hachiko Monogatari:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3s11acb7Z8

And related Trivia on Akitas:

Did you know that the Japanese considered Masked Akitas, well known to the AKC standard, to be a sign of mix-breeding by some? Its undesirable in Japanese Akitas (and a disqualifier) and as a result American lines are considered an entirely seperate breed from the native Akita Inu of Japan.

The AKC allows all colors and markings, the Japanese allow only 5 colors. American Akitas have chow-like heads, where as Japanese Akita inu are bred to be more fox-like, just as the Shiba inu is.

Like the Jindo of Korea, the Akita Inu is officially a National Monument of Japan.