Gross Dog Habit...advice Needed!

Alot of the time it has to do with the food that the animal that poops is eating. If their bodies dont digest it the other dogs/cats/themselves smell it and it still has nutrients so they think they can eat it. Our poodles, dacshund, and puppy have all done it at one in their lives, we changed the food that the dogs are on to Iams and they digest it better and dont eat their poo now.

This thread made me laugh. I had a collie that would love to roll in poop, but she didn't eat it and another dog that liked to eat cold cat poo. I called them "Poopsicles". Fortunately, both dogs grew out of these lovely habits.

I would suggest speaking with a vet to ensure that you dog is ok (don't want it to get parasites from this activity) and see if there are any supplements you can give to help prevent the poop eating.

My Ripley does the same thing, though she doesn't eat her own, only others'. :yucky: I call it "recycling." The worst is when I see her standing behind another dog in the process, waiting for her fresh snack. She's not the brightest pooch, but we love her anyhow.

What is it with poo, my Dog rolls in cow manure. Our property borders farmland and when it gets fertilized my pup is in heaven :nuts: I swear she does it so I will give her a bubble bath LOL!

Good Luck Jill!!

The worst is when I see her standing behind another dog in the process, waiting for her fresh snack. She's not the brightest pooch, but we love her anyhow.

omg funniest thing ever.

i don't have a dog but i remember seeing the dog whisperer on oprah talking about this and i believe as someone said it has to do with a dietary deficiency. there are vitamins or nutrients in poop that dogs like or need to eat. so definately talk to your vet about it.

sorry but fresh snack has me rolling here....

^OMFG,...IM LMAO!
Today..Im sitting at the kitchen table..eating....ick,....I look at the back window and see Ripley eating Einsteins poop as it hits the ground(I have 2 shibas....)..I really nearly threw up...UGH
He eats his own too....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...My dog is sooo demented...sigh....

My dog used to do that when we first got her. I think it was cuz some of her food was not digested and it smelt really good to her. We got these pills which made her poo taste really bad and she doesn't eat her poo any more.

Jill, my aussie shepherd Porsche ate her poo for a while it was gross.
I remember when I caught her I rushed her to the vet in a panic, however he said that this is normal and it could be caused by various reasons, one of them related to lack of minerals in the diet.
He recommended some pills called Deter and it seemed to do the job. He also recommended putting a little bit of licorice powder in their food as this woud have a simmilar effect as the pills.

This thread made me laugh. I had a collie that would love to roll in poop, but she didn't eat it and another dog that liked to eat cold cat poo. I called them "Poopsicles". Fortunately, both dogs grew out of these lovely habits.

OMG This morning I took my dogs out and there was frost on the ground, anyways I caught Greta eating a poopsicle!!! So gross. She does it all the time, I think I need those pills.

We got Gracie back in January and she never did bother with her poop until several months afterwards. The first time I saw it I had the same reaction as you, Jill. :yucky: I've NEVER had a dog that ate its poop before!

After I read up on it a bit, I found out that it's not really abnormal. You can get some packets of stuff from your vet to sprinkle on both dogs' food and that makes them avoid the poop. The hardest part is the behavior modification. With Gracie it meant either walking her on a leash so she couldn't get to it or keeping a close eye on her and a pooper scooper within reach. Once she was trained well enough to move from the poop on command, we scoop it up and praise her for backing away from it. She's not bothering it any more.

Mostly dogs eat their poop to keep their yards clean. Oh, it's not any threat to their health, it's just GROSS to see a turd hanging out of their cute faces.:Push:

Jill, one of my shih tzus used to do that. Like everyone else has already stated, it is fairly common, esp in younger pups.

Since my shih tzu was still a pretty young pup when I found him doing this, a few stern "NO" and a watchful eye was sufficient to make him stop, but I have heard that this method can prove a bit difficult. I guess I was lucky. Do try the packets of stuff you sprinkle on doggie's food -- I've heard they are rather effective.

Good luck!

I am laughing so hard at some of your descriptions, I am crying.

ps-my younger dog has done it too. I shriek and stop him if I can. I am going to check into the food additive thing.

^LOL, I'm finding this thread to be hilarious too! Fresh snacks and poopsicles...:roflmfao: But I really hope you ladies can get your babies to quit this gross habit!

My dog happens to be the complete opposite...he seems to be scared of poop. He'll be sniffing around on the lawn and when he gets a scent of the poop he just made a few minutes ago, he'll cautiously approach it and stare at it for 2 seconds with a "what the heck is this?" look on his face, and then run away! :lol: