Graff resale value

Helventara

Jul 22, 2015
I hope it’s OK to pose the question here as I don’t find any suitable place. Please move if it’s more appropriate somewhere.

I read in this forum that, while jewelleries are not investments, brand names are better in terms of resale due to the name, certificate etc

How is Graff compared to other brands such as Tiffany or Cartier? Do Graff jewelleries lose their value a lot and are there demands for them?

As context, I am referring to rings, like the one below. Thanks.

8F456BC9-7111-4060-B912-E83541D0BD2C.png

I wouldn’t recommend buying Any jewellery unless you’re very experienced with the intention of resale..
I'm going to tag @cecchetti I believe she has a lot of experience with Graff.
I have not looked into the resale value of the Graff pieces of jewelry that I have , but I do treasure them
only very specific stones actually go up enough in value to make them investments….

I’m sorry I couldn’t be more help but obviously jewellers have high mark ups and I wouldn’t suggest competing with them❤️❤️

Buy what you like-buy estate jewellery for less steep premiums if you prefer, but most jewellery isn’t an “investment “..

Luxury goods like watches and handbags are a better investment than stocks and real estate. I've never seen jewellery referenced in statements like that.
Luxury watches are Also not an “investment”.

Unless you buy the one off Patek Philippe with the diamond face, or a Grande Complication Model worth millions(literally), there are loads more of any watch, and they don’t increase in value.

Definitely cannot be compared to stocks and real estate!

Thanks @A bottle of Red @cecchetti for your feedback.

Maybe I didn’t explain myself clearly. I am not looking for jewelleries as investment but trying to buy item that has at least something of a resale value. I am thinking of eventualities, like when I die.

I try to illustrate my context with bags which I am familiar with :biggrin:
  • No brand artisan might produce bags with Hermes-like quality for say $5,000 but no matter what, it’s almost impossible to resell for any price.
  • Coach can be sold and there’s an active market. Both purchase and resell values are not big. Discount can be steep.
  • Louis Vuitton can be resold as there’s always someone interested in the product. Maybe for a very steep discount (eg $5,000 vs 500) but someone will buy when it’s cheap enough.
  • Hermes is an anomaly and this is not what I am after.
I am kind of trying to find the same sense with Graff. In which spectrum would it lie?

I hope it makes sense and thanks. I am dipping my toes into branded jewelleries and still fumbling my way around.

Thanks @A bottle of Red @cecchetti for your feedback.

Maybe I didn’t explain myself clearly. I am not looking for jewelleries as investment but trying to buy item that has at least something of a resale value. I am thinking of eventualities, like when I die.

I try to illustrate my context with bags which I am familiar with :biggrin:
  • No brand artisan might produce bags with Hermes-like quality for say $5,000 but no matter what, it’s almost impossible to resell for any price.
  • Coach can be sold and there’s an active market. Both purchase and resell values are not big. Discount can be steep.
  • Louis Vuitton can be resold as there’s always someone interested in the product. Maybe for a very steep discount (eg $5,000 vs 500) but someone will buy when it’s cheap enough.
  • Hermes is an anomaly and this is not what I am after.
I am kind of trying to find the same sense with Graff. In which spectrum would it lie?

I hope it makes sense and thanks. I am dipping my toes into branded jewelleries and still fumbling my way around.
I just don’t advise buying jewellery with the expectation of reselling it..

Branded jewellery has a very high mark up-Tiffany , Cartier etc, so it’s the name rather than the value of the stones which is being sold.

Large Type 11 diamonds can be invested in if you have unlimited funds ditto coloured diamonds, but there are a lot of crooks and treated stones around, and you need to be prepared to pay 1m/carat to really invest..and understand what you’re investing in..not be “dipping your toes”..

If you “understand” bags then buy those..-I understand stones, but I’m not sharing a lifetime of knowledge of diamonds here on a forum(I’m not being mean, I’m protecting you), -I wouldn’t invest in bags, I just buy what I like..although the same is true with jewellery tbh,..

I don’t buy real estate, cars etc..my money goes into stones, which have increased a lot, everybody understands something, but nobody is a Jack of all trades, and I’ve heard horror stories of people losing a Lot of money on non Burmese rubies etc.

I’m just advising you not to spend a lot on something you don’t really understand with the hope of making a profit..

Last edited:
Jewellery is a bit like art- buy what you like and can live with and be pleasantly surprised if any of it increases in value.

Otherwise, you could look at auction houses and check out the fine jewellery sections. That might give you an idea of what similar items sell for?

The ultimate is to buy a gorgeous stone yourself and have a jewellery designer make you something (check out Leon Mege or Victor Canera), likely a far cheaper option.

There‘s a whole diamond/jewellery forum out there where you will be able to start your search and get loads of advice.

Jewellery is a bit like art- buy what you like and can live with and be pleasantly surprised if any of it increases in value.

Otherwise, you could look at auction houses and check out the fine jewellery sections. That might give you an idea of what similar items sell for?

The ultimate is to buy a gorgeous stone yourself and have a jewellery designer make you something (check out Leon Mege or Victor Canera), likely a far cheaper option.

There‘s a whole diamond/jewellery forum out there where you will be able to start your search and get loads of advice.
Thank you. Very helpful. Your hint about checking out the action houses is insightful. I will start my research there.

ETA as clarification to those who read here: NOT looking to make profit, be a trader in bags or jewelleries or beat the jewellers in their own game or buying to resell. I am just trying to get a sense of where Graff lies in the spectrum of branded jewellers in the context of eventual resell. If my question doesn’t make sense, please ignore or mods feel free to delete. Thank you.

Last edited:
From the limited knowledge I have when I was doing my own jewelry research, Graff retains less resale value compared to, say, VCA (currently the highest is 75% of retail price with Alhambra pieces, with the exception of rare/discontinued creations like lapiz lazuli or jade Alhambra that doubles/triples in value) or Cartier (around 60%) or Tiffany (around 55%). Mostly has to do with brand recognition.

For example this one. The original price is £21,000.00: https://www.hattonjewels.com/pre-owned-graff-emerald-and-diamond-cluster-ring/

It doesn't say on the website how much it sold, but on 1st Dibs, https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rin...quare-cut-emerald-diamond-ring/id-j_13047752/, the same ring is being sold for €9,167.22 or about £8,000.

From £21,000 to £8,000 is just 38% resale value (probably even less ends up to the seller because 1st Dibs gets a cut).

But of course it varies on the specific ring and the market conditions when it was sold. That was just a sample to illustrate the resale value of a Graff ring.

Last edited:
From the limited knowledge I have when I was doing my own jewelry research, Graff retains less resale value compared to, say, VCA (currently the highest is 75% of retail price with Alhambra pieces, with the exception of rare/discontinued creations like lapiz lazuli or jade Alhambra that doubles/triples in value) or Cartier (around 60%) or Tiffany (around 55%). Mostly has to do with brand recognition.

For example this one. The original price is £21,000.00: https://www.hattonjewels.com/pre-owned-graff-emerald-and-diamond-cluster-ring/

It doesn't say on the website how much it sold, but on 1st Dibs, https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rin...quare-cut-emerald-diamond-ring/id-j_13047752/, the same ring is being sold for €9,167.22 or about £8,000.

From £21,000 to £8,000 is just 38% resale value (probably even less ends up to the seller because 1st Dibs gets a cut).

But of course it varies on the specific ring and the market conditions when it was sold. That was just a sample to illustrate the resale value of a Graff ring.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. This is very helpful. You answered my question perfectly. Your hints also help me to learn how and where to reseach further.

Have a lovely weekend.

That is such an interesting topic thank you @Helventara @cecchetti for your excellent points. These days everyone talks (and expects! ) resale value. You hear people buy a coat or some shoes and they say ‘oh but I lost xxx£ selling them’ etc. I mean we bought it, we own it- we have the thing not the money. Now Graff jewellery it was assumed it kept some resale value at least no?

That is such an interesting topic thank you @Helventara @cecchetti for your excellent points. These days everyone talks (and expects! ) resale value. You hear people buy a coat or some shoes and they say ‘oh but I lost xxx£ selling them’ etc. I mean we bought it, we own it- we have the thing not the money. Now Graff jewellery it was assumed it kept some resale value at least no?
This is my assumptions and how much or little vs other brands is what I am trying to reseach. More out of curiosity (infected from the bag forum, I admit :biggrin: ) as I have decided on what I will buy.