Graff resale value

Wondering about this a bit more, and thinking that @allanrvj might be right about Graff not having such immediate brand/iconic item recognition so the resale value is lower.
Or just a smaller group of people looking for such unique and expensive items, rather than the hordes of ppl looking for vca five motifs or love bracelets etc that drive up the price.
I'm not an expert at all but I do know that the jewels I saw and got to try at Graff were incredibly beautiful and I have never seen anything like them elsewhere.

The brand recognition of Graff is lower than other designers, so overall its resale is worse. It also has a smaller pool of interested buyers in the brand. Though, I’ve always had wonderful interactions visiting Graff stores.

I recently attended a live auction for the first time, and my most vivid memory is that the Tiffany Schlumberger pieces were selling for so much higher than the estimated price. (Once again, making me wish I had bought more Schlumberger pieces years ago…) There were some Harry Winston pieces, which sold within the expected range. Some VCA pieces, too, most sold within the expected value, but a few went over. The Cartier pieces all sold within the estimated range. There were only a few Bulgari pieces, which sold at or slightly above the estimate, but there wasn’t a lot to make out any trends. There were a few rare Elsa Peretti pieces, which went over the estimated range. The generic Tiffany sold within the estimated range. There were even a few Boucheron pieces, which sold within the expected range.

There weren’t any Graff pieces at the event. Overall, however, I think Graff really only holds value for its collector items, such as its sizable colored diamonds. Just based on what I know about the brand, I think Graff’s resale is less dependent on branding or design, and more dependent on the source material. Graff is also a newer brand compared to Harry Winston, which it is often compared to. I mean, the founder is still alive, so it’s hard to make out if the company has enduring longevity.

There’s a brand “hierarchy” chart floating somewhere on the internet, where Graff is placed at number one. I think it’s probably because the person doing research saw that Graff has sold some of the most expensive items ever in the history of jewelry. But in terms of why those items were sold at those prices, it has little to do with Graff as a company, and more to do with the rare stones themselves. Graff’s retail markups (which are probably the better barometer for brand equity) are much smaller than VCA, Cartier, or Tiffany. That being said, I think you get a lot of value in terms of the combination of craftsmanship, quality, and service from Graff.

This is my assumptions and how much or little vs other brands is what I am trying to reseach. More out of curiosity (infected from the bag forum, I admit :biggrin: ) as I have decided on what I will buy.
Do show us - very reluctant to post photos these days but we are among friends here. Or pm me photos if you are still reluctant to post - which is understandable…

Wondering about this a bit more, and thinking that @allanrvj might be right about Graff not having such immediate brand/iconic item recognition so the resale value is lower.

I have never seen anything like them elsewhere.

The brand recognition of Graff is lower than other designers, so overall its resale is worse. It also has a smaller pool of interested buyers in the brand. Though, I’ve always had wonderful interactions visiting Graff stores.
Those factors draw me to them. Their creation has a bit of extra oomph or something. It’s clean and elegant, with presence. And it’s not overly famous although I've stared at their rings for 20 years when they show up at FT's how to spend it.

Do show us - very reluctant to post photos these days but we are among friends here. Or pm me photos if you are still reluctant to post - which is understandable…

Would definitely love to see what you decide to get !
Friends? Or enablers? :biggrin: Thanks for the discussion and if I do get it, I promise to post. I have always wanted emerald in emerald cut and I am partial to the style I posted at the opening of the thread. I realize it is not such a specific style to Graff but I love it. It will not be big as I plan to wear it every day although I am a bit wary with emerald being 'softer'.

Will keep you posted.

• Love
Reactions: A bottle of Red
Graff’s retail markups (which are probably the better barometer for brand equity) are much smaller than VCA, Cartier, or Tiffany.
This is the sense I get. I visited both Cartier and Graff and Graff provided better specs for about the same price. Which surprise me initially. Going to Graff was special and rather intimidating while Cartier was like a zoo the day I visited.

This is the sense I get. I visited both Cartier and Graff and Graff provided better specs for about the same price. Which surprise me initially. Going to Graff was special and rather intimidating while Cartier was like a zoo the day I visited.
My experience at Graff was so much nicer than at Cartier , thankfully the sales associate I have is so incredibly nice so I never feel intimidated or awkward no matter how dressed down I am .
I hope you find an incredible emerald ring!
I know what it means to stare at their jewelry for years , I did the same .

I hope it’s OK to pose the question here as I don’t find any suitable place. Please move if it’s more appropriate somewhere.

I read in this forum that, while jewelleries are not investments, brand names are better in terms of resale due to the name, certificate etc

How is Graff compared to other brands such as Tiffany or Cartier? Do Graff jewelleries lose their value a lot and are there demands for them?

As context, I am referring to rings, like the one below. Thanks.

View attachment 5884235
If you have a concern about resale value, I’d suggest finding out a market value of a stone you would like to see in your ring and purchasing the stone at this price. If you buy such ring from Graff, and let’s say decide to sell in a few years, most probably you will only get about 50% of the price you paid. Your ring will be listed at about 50-70% of the retailer price and the reseller will charge you about 20% from the sale price.
The situation would be identical for any famous brand - Cartier, Graff, Tiffany, etc.

I have many VCA pieces and Tiffany, and now I am shifting to Graff. They are so beautiful. And for the same price, you will get better pieces compared with VCA, I mainly refer to the carats of diamonds. I will never sell my jewelry, but for the cost-effective part, I vote for Graff, for their quality and art. VCA is super too. Their diamond pieces are much more expensive now. I dislike cartier. Not my taste. HW, marks up way too much and the making/design is not at the same level with graff or VCA. Tiffany is lower than the above unless it is a piece of high jewelry. Just my own opinion.