Got Holiday Tech Gift Questions? Ask Me!

thanks for the shout out on the speakers! Home Audio is one of those areas in the store (along with car audio) that I don't venture in to that often, so my knowledge isn't complete for that stuff as it is for tvs, appliances, mp3, computers, etc. and ITA with the suggestion of Denon and those other brands. Those, along with Klipsch, are usually what our hardcore home theater guys suggest.

I'm guessing your store doesn't have a Mag in it? I know that I typically recommend Definitive Technology (amazing sound, but not a home theater in a box setup, you pick out all of their components separately), or Martin Logan, again amazing sound but you pick out all of the speakers separately. I'm pretty good with home audio and car audio, I'm might be able to lend a hand in answering questions on some of those things.

ah, i see. so wherever free wifi is, you can use the added functionality. that seems not really worth it. but then again, it is a gorgeous screen and packaging style...aagghhh.

Not to take away from bestbuy sales but if you want to buy an ipod as a gift, the apple store offers free laser engraving on the back of ipods. Nice if you want an inscription of some sort.

Amanda- does the ipod nano (the older one still sell at best buy) and would you recommend that or the new one. It has to be smaller but I'm not sure if I should go for the touch or nano. I don't need wifi but it would be nice to have and a display is a must to see the songs. And do they sell Itunes giftcards?

I'm guessing your store doesn't have a Mag in it? I know that I typically recommend Definitive Technology (amazing sound, but not a home theater in a box setup, you pick out all of their components separately), or Martin Logan, again amazing sound but you pick out all of the speakers separately. I'm pretty good with home audio and car audio, I'm might be able to lend a hand in answering questions on some of those things.

Nope, no Magnolia for our store, and the way that the company is set up, stores without Magnolia sections do not have access to Magnolia products, so my experience with them is limited (although when our store moves to a new building in a year, we'll have one, I'm very excited!). Plus, the poster was asking about a basic system and was not an audiophile, so I doubt that sort of setup would be ideal for her, unless she just wants to throw money around. It all depends on your needs and level of interest :smile:

Hi Amanda,
I have 2 purchases coming up.
My DH wants a digital camera/ zoom lense. Which are best with the $250 range?
Also, I want a cell phone. Is Verizon the best carrier? I really want the Venus.
I have had sprint (did not work in my apt) and T-Mobile (works in my apt but no where else- I hate tmobile!)

I'm a little confused about what you're asking for. Does he want a lens to attach to a DSLR, or is he looking for a camera WITH a zoom lens?

The guys in our camera department uniformly adore Canon cameras, and my experience has been the same. I really like this camera: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8297602&type=product&id=1172881524792

I'm in the market for a new camera as well, but my budget is a bit smaller, so I'm probably going to be getting the next one down from that.

If he's looking for an independent lens for his current camera, I can't much help with that, my knowledge of photography is not technical enough to get in to DSLR territory and I wouldn't want to advise you incorrectly!

As far as cell carriers go, it varies WIDELY by city - every area has a different 'best' carrier. There are so many variables that I wouldn't want to promise Verizon would be perfect for you, because it might not be. Verizon or ATT/Cingular generally have the reputation for having the best reception here, and I LOVE some of the phones that they have. If you know the other carriers don't work, I'd say find a phone and plan you like with one of the ones you haven't tried yet and give it a shot. There's very little way to know until you try, and most carriers have a 14 or 30 day return policy so that if you find it doesn't work in your apartment/workplace/etc, you can return without it without penalty and try another carrier.

ah, i see. so wherever free wifi is, you can use the added functionality. that seems not really worth it. but then again, it is a gorgeous screen and packaging style...aagghhh.

it just depends. i'm in college, so my entire campus has wifi, the downtown area in the town where i live has wifi, and my apartment has wifi. it's good for some people, not for others, it just depends what kind of places you spend time in.

i also like the interface a TON better on my Touch. I had an old iPod that i hardly ever used because i hated the way that you controlled it. I take my Touch with my everywhere (except to work, because i have to leave my purse in a locker and I don't want anyone taking it!)

Not to take away from bestbuy sales but if you want to buy an ipod as a gift, the apple store offers free laser engraving on the back of ipods. Nice if you want an inscription of some sort.

Amanda- does the ipod nano (the older one still sell at best buy) and would you recommend that or the new one. It has to be smaller but I'm not sure if I should go for the touch or nano. I don't need wifi but it would be nice to have and a display is a must to see the songs. And do they sell Itunes giftcards?

no no that's fine! i'm not here to advertise for best buy AT ALL, i just wanted everyone to know that i have professional experience and training with the things i'm talking about, i'm not just winging it :smile:. plus, we're not paid by commission, so i'm certainly not trying to drum up sales for myself (we can't even take phone orders).

and apple indeed has a wonderful engraving option, but just make sure that the person you're buying it for ACTUALLY wants it, because i dont believe that they allow you to return engraved items.

i like the new nano a ton more than the old one, and it's hard to find the old ones at best buy anymore, i know my store has cleared ours out. it's nice that you can watch video on it if you were to go on a trip or something, and i like the shape and finish.

if you're asking me about nano vs. iPod touch, i'm always going to say IPOD TOUCH!!!! the thing is just magnificent. i could never go back to a traditional ipod. i love my Touch so much that i bought a $2000 MacBook Pro - it made me an Apple believer. it's technology that works. simple as that. so often, we're working AGAINST technology in our lives, when technology is supposed to be there to make things easier. well, the Touch works. i will be getting an iPhone as soon as my current cell contract is up. I'm sold. that being said, go in to the store and play with them. see for yourself if it's worth the extra money TO YOU.

Nope, no Magnolia for our store, and the way that the company is set up, stores without Magnolia sections do not have access to Magnolia products, so my experience with them is limited (although when our store moves to a new building in a year, we'll have one, I'm very excited!). Plus, the poster was asking about a basic system and was not an audiophile, so I doubt that sort of setup would be ideal for her, unless she just wants to throw money around. It all depends on your needs and level of interest :smile:

I'm familiar with how the company is set up, I've been with them for 8 years. Sorry if it seemed like I was putting down what you offered, I was just trying to suggest some other brands that I have had personal experience with. :yes:

I have to say I'm so jealous that you guys get to move into a new building, I'm in one of the only mall stores that our company has, and we unfortunately have a movie theater on top of us that has plumbing problems so they cause parts of our store to flood all of the time.

I'm familiar with how the company is set up, I've been with them for 8 years. Sorry if it seemed like I was putting down what you offered, I was just trying to suggest some other brands that I have had personal experience with. :yes:

I have to say I'm so jealous that you guys get to move into a new building, I'm in one of the only mall stores that our company has, and we unfortunately have a movie theater on top of us that has plumbing problems so they cause parts of our store to flood all of the time.

Ahh, another Best Buyer! You should have said! This is my third year with the company, I'm still in college. I've never even been to a Best Buy mall store - that's really unfortunate that you guys have such problems with your neighbors. We're moving because we're an older store (going on 14 years at this location) and the road that we're on is dying out as a shopping location in Athens. Our DM came out to pick locations with store leadership a month or two ago. I'm so excited! I graduate in May, but there's a decent chance that I may still be with the company when we move!