Gone but not forgotten, I'm curious what folks think of Daniel Lee's work at BV?

Nov 29, 2016
Bottega Veneta but only for bags made between 2004 to late 2018. Impeccable quality and craftsmanship. Anything made after the new creative director is absolute garbage. You'll have to browse the pre-loved market.

In a different post about bags comparable to Hermes, VON1B2 wrote the response above.

I'm not sure if VON1B2 is still with us. I tried to @ her, but to no avail. :sad:

What I wanted to ask is if she still felt this way, or if she had softened towards Daniel Lee's work specifically with respect to the cabats. In particular, the suede bonded cabats (I'm not sure if the exteriors are lambskin or calf).

Von1B2 or any BV lovers, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

In a different post about bags comparable to Hermes, VON1B2 wrote the response above.

I'm not sure if VON1B2 is still with us. I tried to @ her, but to no avail. :sad:

What I wanted to ask is if she still felt this way, or if she had softened towards Daniel Lee's work specifically with respect to the cabats. In particular, the suede bonded cabats (I'm not sure if the exteriors are lambskin or calf).

@V0N1B2 what are your thoughts?

@MidlifeFashionPrincess, the second letter in V0N1B2's ID is actually a zero

Zero Bottega post TM era. I thought DL’s Bonded Cabat was interesting but it never did anything for me. Was tempted by the bulb and the large pouch but not enough to purchase. Some MB’s current designs are lovely but not a fan of the tube straps. IMO some current bags appear to have quality issues and like all luxury bags a very high price.
My current TM era bags.
IMG_2265.jpegIMG_2266.jpegIMG_2267.jpegIMG_2268.jpegIMG_2269.jpegIMG_2271.jpegIMG_2272.jpegIMG_7648.jpeg

Beautiful collection! I have an eye out for a small cabat, the size of your red one (I guess it is officially called the PM. I think if it as the Asian size). I had a GM a long time ago, but it was too big for me.

I saw one of the bonded cabats for sale and an drawn to it, but fear it might not hold up.

• Love
Reactions: jbags07 and Nibb
Beautiful collection! I have an eye out for a small cabat, the size of your red one (I guess it is officially called the PM. I think if it as the Asian size). I had a GM a long time ago, but it was too big for me.

I saw one of the bonded cabats for sale and a drawn to it, but fear it might not hold up.
Thank you! I’m not sure of the bonded Cabat wear. I’ve noticed some not all but some of the camera bags aren’t faring well.

I can’t speak too much to the quality of post-TM bags. ( I have an Almond Cassette which looks quite worn out after two years of seasonal use. The other bags I have are used sporadically so they still look good.)

I get the sense that some ‘blame’ is given to the new creative designers. For me, I felt TM was very focused on quality and after he departed I wondered if that focus lessened.

I think DL’s designs were rather simple and had less detail than prior collections and so flaws were much more noticeable. And the prices just shot up which also brought much greater scrutiny on what exactly one was getting.

And all those things might have happened if TM had stayed but we just don’t know.

For me the designs by MB seem to ring closer to BV’s heritage. The prices are super high—too high for me. And I don’t really buy anymore because I just don’t see what that high price justifies in terms of design, construction and quality. (Besides, if I like a bag, I just need to be patient and it’ll wind up on a resale site for 30 percent less.)

Last edited:
I’m a TM fan and have been disappointed with BV’s handbag and shoe direction since he left. I never, ever bought anything on the resale market until TM left. I’ve been scooping up my favorite designs preloved. I’ve only purchased one new DL bag…Small Jodie and I find the quality just isn’t the same. I agree that the prices seem unreasonably high for the quality.

My collection is mostly TM era, collected after he left BV. However, I have several DL pieces too. I have a men's cassette in Inkwell that is MB era, but this version of the Cassette was introduced by DL before he left.

I'm waiting for just the right bag from MB, and it will probably be purchased on the secondary market. His designs are nice, but nothing has captured my heart enough for me to rush to the boutique for it - yet.

I have not had the quality issues with newer BV some have experienced. But my collection is also large enough that no bag is carried for more than a week before I switch to another.

I have noticed luxury seems less luxurious lately. I think creative directors face pressure from their parent companies (Kering, LVMH) to increase profit margins. Cost-cutting measures are evident in the materials, craftsmanship and design details. For example, Loewe pushing the Puzzle Edge, which is one continuous piece of leather, vs. the classic Puzzle, which is many leather cutouts and panels to create the "puzzle" pieces in the design. The Puzzle Edge looks way less expensive to produce when considering materials and labor. Yet, it was priced the same as the classic Puzzle. I use Loewe as an obvious example, but I think this phenomenon is common across most luxury brands at the moment. And I don't necessarily blame creative directors for that.

Zero Bottega post TM era. I thought DL’s Bonded Cabat was interesting but it never did anything for me. Was tempted by the bulb and the large pouch but not enough to purchase. Some MB’s current designs are lovely but not a fan of the tube straps. IMO some current bags appear to have quality issues and like all luxury bags a very high price.
My current TM era bags.
View attachment 5936394View attachment 5936395View attachment 5936396View attachment 5936397View attachment 5936398View attachment 5936399View attachment 5936400View attachment 5936401
Such a gorgeous collection! :heart:

My current TM era bags.
View attachment 5936394View attachment 5936395View attachment 5936396View attachment 5936397View attachment 5936398View attachment 5936399View attachment 5936400View attachment 5936401
Love your collection @Nibb :heart:

I agree with @V0N1B2 - TM era bags reflect impeccable quality and craftsmanship. I’ve owned/own bags from various premier designers, including Hermes. The bags i reach for the most are my TM era BV. They are so comfortable, classic, and i never tire of them. They age beautifully, and the leather gets even better as it ages and breaks in. To me thats a big sign of quality. But many DL era bags do not age well - there are plenty on the resale market that look pretty bad imho. I’ve purchased and returned 2 DL bags - a pouch and mini jodie. I think b/c i am so accustomed to Old Bottega, i could see a difference and the reports of wear and tear scare me. At those price points bags should have longevity, and i would rather put my money into TM bags - you can still find ones on the resale market in excellent condition if you hunt for them. I also prefer the TM styles……like @grietje i love that MB is bringing back many classic bags, with a modern twist. Prices are too high though given the uncertain quality issues, and i love H bags too so that level of money goes there. If there is a bag i want, i will wait for resale.

Lately i’ve noticed prices are really coming down on DL bags, so i will try out a couple styles i think. I just added a pouch i found at a fantastic price on FP, and i will add a jodie at some point too. Maybe a padded cassette. Only if the prices are right, and i will carry them a lot to see how they wear versus my older Bottegas.

You know, as i type this, i think i do have one DL era mini Cabat that has a sueded bonded leather. It was released his first year as CD, before he phased cabats out. Tbh i have only carried it a few times so i don’t know how it will wear and age. But the exterior leather is very different then my other cabats - its pretty stiff and not as soft and luxe. Its still a beautiful bag, but i do prefer my TM era cabats.

IMG_3854.jpeg