Gone but not forgotten, I'm curious what folks think of Daniel Lee's work at BV?

Thanks for your comments on the bonded Cabat. That's what got me to starting this thread. I was seriously looking at a bonded Cabat in plaster. I remember seeing one in the boutique when it came out and I loved it. But I've handled a lot of bags since then, and I might feel differently today.

I sold my old large Cabat because it overwhelmed me. That's' when I saw the bonded in the boutique. One of the things that delighted me was how much better a fit it is. I am not a small woman, but the big Cabat was just too much of a puddle for me.

A few weeks ago, I saw the bonded plaster on Buyee and almost pulled the trigger but instead went for a lavender Cabat PM. A nice, old lamby, smooshy Cabat in PM. Ahhhh....

I haven't received it yet and have some concerns about the color, but for the price, I had to give it a try.

Does anyone know how to decipher the code numbers on the tag? You used to be able to call BV and they would look it up for you, but no more.

• Love
Reactions: jbags07
I agree with @V0N1B2 - TM era bags reflect impeccable quality and craftsmanship. I’ve owned/own bags from various premier designers, including Hermes. The bags i reach for the most are my TM era BV. They are so comfortable, classic, and i never tire of them. They age beautifully, and the leather gets even better as it ages and breaks in. To me thats a big sign of quality. But many DL era bags do not age well - there are plenty on the resale market that look pretty bad imho. I’ve purchased and returned 2 DL bags - a pouch and mini jodie. I think b/c i am so accustomed to Old Bottega, i could see a difference and the reports of wear and tear scare me. At those price points bags should have longevity, and i would rather put my money into TM bags - you can still find ones on the resale market in excellent condition if you hunt for them. I also prefer the TM styles……like @grietje i love that MB is bringing back many classic bags, with a modern twist. Prices are too high though given the uncertain quality issues, and i love H bags too so that level of money goes there. If there is a bag i want, i will wait for resale.

Lately i’ve noticed prices are really coming down on DL bags, so i will try out a couple styles i think. I just added a pouch i found at a fantastic price on FP, and i will add a jodie at some point too. Maybe a padded cassette. Only if the prices are right, and i will carry them a lot to see how they wear versus my older Bottegas.

You know, as i type this, i think i do have one DL era mini Cabat that has a sueded bonded leather. It was released his first year as CD, before he phased cabats out. Tbh i have only carried it a few times so i don’t know how it will wear and age. But the exterior leather is very different then my other cabats - its pretty stiff and not as soft and luxe. Its still a beautiful bag, but i do prefer my TM era cabats.

View attachment 5947255
I know very little about bottega compared to @V0N1B2 , @jbags07 , @Nibb , and @grietje, and the other posters here, but I did have occasion to go to a BV Madison event when DL was CD (I was invited bc my first Chanel SA from 2001 is now a higher up in management at BV). I was able to handle some of the DL bags. I only own a few preloved TM, and I believe the TM ones are far more lustrous and supple (as @jbags07 points out) . Bc BV resale value is so low, I doubt that I would ever buy a BV at full retail. I don’t think I would ever buy a DL bag. I don’t have much faith that BV will get back to the quality of the TM era, but that’s JMO. ETA: I also thought the RTW was geared to a much younger fashionista who was not buying forever clothing, and the shoes seemed very clunky. But, DL was clearly not designing with my (older) demographic in mind. Although I do buy premier luxury brands, I would not spend that kind of money for an of the moment, fashion purchase.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments on the bonded Cabat. That's what got me to starting this thread. I was seriously looking at a bonded Cabat in plaster. I remember seeing one in the boutique when it came out and I loved it. But I've handled a lot of bags since then, and I might feel differently today.

I sold my old large Cabat because it overwhelmed me. That's' when I saw the bonded in the boutique. One of the things that delighted me was how much better a fit it is. I am not a small woman, but the big Cabat was just too much of a puddle for me.

A few weeks ago, I saw the bonded plaster on Buyee and almost pulled the trigger but instead went for a lavender Cabat PM. A nice, old lamby, smooshy Cabat in PM. Ahhhh....

I haven't received it yet and have some concerns about the color, but for the price, I had to give it a try.

Does anyone know how to decipher the code numbers on the tag? You used to be able to call BV and they would look it up for you, but no more.
Oohhhhh the lavender cabat sounds beautiful! Please share a pic when it arrives. For help with navigating color codes, post here - @V0N1B2 is especially expert with deciphering tags :smile:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/please-id-this-bv-style-color-age-post-here.115185/

Despite your concerns, I think your bonded bag is beautiful. Those colors are wonderful.
Thank you for your kind words :smile: while in general i prefer the leather lined Cabats, this one in the suede lining is fun and different, since i do have a few other Cabats too. Agree also the colors are wonderful!
I know very little about bottega compared to @V0N1B2 , @jbags07 , @Nibb , and @grietje, and the other posters here, but I did have occasion to go to a BV Madison event when DL was CD (I was invited bc my first Chanel SA from 2001 is now a higher up in management at BV). I was able to handle some of the DL bags. I only own a few preloved TM, and I believe the TM ones are far more lustrous and supple (as @jbags07 points out) . Bc BV resale value is so low, I doubt that I would ever buy a BV at full retail. I don’t think I would ever buy a DL bag. I don’t have much faith that BV will get back to the quality of the TM era, but that’s JMO. ETA: I also thought the RTW was geared to a much younger fashionista who was not buying forever clothing, and the shoes seemed very clunky. But, DL was clearly not designing with my (older) demographic in mind. Although I do buy premier luxury brands, I would not spend that kind of money for an of the moment, fashion purchase.
I agree @880 the quality will likely never return to what it was, but that is now the case with almost all luxury brands too, so its not isolated to BV. They are almost all increasing prices and decreasing quality. The definition of luxury is changing, both in terms of products and experiences. There are some recent MB BV bags i am liking, but as u said, i would not pay full retail. There are too many very similar TM styles to be found in great condition, for a fraction of what new BV retails for. Or wait awhile until resale prices are palatable, if a style is appealing. I love the idea of having a bespoke bag made too - that, to me, is now the ultimate luxury experience. Mila Jito’s Wander bag is on my wishlist.

I have not dabbled in RTW yet (waiting to shed some pounds) - but some of the DL stuff - shoes and clothes - are kind of out there and not stuff that appeals to me either :lol:

• Thanks
Reactions: etudes and 880
I was a skeptic and hate how TM departed. I have mostly TM era bags, but after a few seasons of hating the styles and colors, I went back into the store and purchased some DL pieces that can serve as a clutch … a few mini Jodie variations (not a fan of the plain leather) as well as the Pouch (small and teen). I’ve also found a few RTW recently that are lovely.

Reactions: Evergreen602
I'm not well-versed in BV but have realized that I prefer the offerings of the TM era. A few years ago, I walked into BV to just browse (I go in very randomly, as I was on an unhurried search for either a Campana or Parachute). I was immediately struck by how different and somewhat jarring everything looked and only when a sales associate indicated they had changed to a new CD, did it make sense to me. Not a fan of DL personally but I can see how he brought in more late-millennial and GenZ interest.
I was in a boutique a few months ago with a close friend as she wanted to see the Andiamo; the leather just felt plastic-y and completely different from the BV I grew up with.

I'm not well-versed in BV but have realized that I prefer the offerings of the TM era. A few years ago, I walked into BV to just browse (I go in very randomly, as I was on an unhurried search for either a Campana or Parachute). I was immediately struck by how different and somewhat jarring everything looked and only when a sales associate indicated they had changed to a new CD, did it make sense to me. Not a fan of DL personally but I can see how he brought in more late-millennial and GenZ interest.
I was in a boutique a few months ago with a close friend as she wanted to see the Andiamo; the leather just felt plastic-y and completely different from the BV I grew up with.
Agree. Many of the newer designs just look cheap but the prices have been racheted up. I never bought pre-loved before but now that’s all the BV I buy. It’ll be sad when that supply dwindles out.

i still have some of TM bags on my wishlist (none for DL), but couldnt find it yet on secondary market. i think whoever has that bags wont sell them.

the bags am looking for are camera bag with double zip (esp the one with the applique), some special veneta etc.

the leather on TM bags are so silky, i always pet my bag whenever am wearing one

Reactions: J.T. and piperdog
So on that note, I have a very petable TM Nodini/pillow bag in red. Such a lovely bag, incredible texture, and then truest red of reds.

I also have a pre-loved TM lavender Cabat PM that does not have that same soft feel. It is not stiff, but it is a little stiffer.

it does not puddle as much as my GM used to, I sold that one because it was too big for me, but that is because of the smaller shape. I understand that.

The edges are almost curled upward a little. I think other people have discussed that.

I bought it secondhand. It is still wonderful but it is different. Any ideas on why this might be? Any tips on what I could do?It is still wonderful but it is different.

i still have some of TM bags on my wishlist (none for DL), but couldnt find it yet on secondary market. i think whoever has that bags wont sell them.

the bags am looking for are camera bag with double zip (esp the one with the applique), some special veneta etc.

the leather on TM bags are so silky, i always pet my bag whenever am wearing one
All of my BV are TM-era, and you're right; I'm not selling. I've been slowly downsizing my bag collection, but never the BVs.

I call my Nappa Veneta my emotional support bag because I find myself petting it whenever I carry it.

ETA: I looked at a few DL-era non-Intrecciato bags, but none of them came home with me. Can't say I have any regrets over it.