Give up Hermes???????????? Whaaat?

dianagrace said:
I always get the "Why aren't you married dear?" I usually just smile and say "Oh, you know haven't met Mr. Right" then I run off and burst into tears. My younger sister is getting married in November making me that LAST single adult in my family. I am not looking forward to all the questions at the wedding.

Dianagrace- I'm sorry people ask that question. That's incredibly insensitive and no one has to get married...I have many friends that are happily single or happily childfree by choice.

I often get the "When are you trying for a boy?" I can handle that until they keep persisting with "You have to try for a boy- you need a boy."
As if I haven't gone through infertility treatment, lots of infertility medication, miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy. :rant:

Donna Have you considered saying something to your friend? I think you could present it to her as, "How would you feel if someone belittled your interests?"

YEP, People like to make you feel bad. Just ask her if she has lost her:censor: mind!!! Is there nothing that she has a passion for. Passion for somthing and Obcession are two different things. I have found that sometimes you can't share your passion with everybody because they are not going to understand you anyway, but you've got us to share with and we understand! Thank God, for PF. I thought that I would never find people that could understand my passion for purses. I had this passion for 40 years and it has never died. Don't feel Bad, we are hear for you!!!!! Oh, and by the way ask her if she will give up her obcession to being mean!! I am on a rant now forgive me. Makes me mad when people put other people down. Tell her that it is a passion not obcession and that if she can't appreciate this then well, you know what I mean. Good Luck!!!!!!

A long time ago I knew a man who had an expression, "People are people." That pretty much sums it all up. Folks in the general population say things all the time to friends/acquaintances that are insensitive and borderline rude. They have no clue that their friend might be offended by the comments. Donna, if you called your friend on her comments she would probably think you overreacted.

I think that deep down inside, many of us (include me) feel a little guilty that we have enough money to feed this expensive habit while others are truly in need. At the end of the day, you have to look in the mirror and live with yourself. If you are essentially happy with the way you conduct your life and treat others then it shouldn't bother you. Your friend is entitled to her opinion and she can spend all her time/money saving the whales, trees etc., she just doesn't have to go judgemental on you or anyone else. At this point I will quote Hilary ******* (and I am not her biggest fan, mind you) "Nothing you can say about me could possibly hurt me." I trust you get the hidden message in that...your opinion doesn't count with me!!!

PS Regarding the comments that people make regarding fertility and marriage, my answer to that is "why is it your concern?" and furthermore "none of your F 'in business!"

I am married, but the child thing I have had to deal with for a very long time.

gracekelly said:
PS Regarding the comments that people make regarding fertility and marriage, my answer to that is "why is it your concern?" and furthermore "none of your F 'in business!"

I am married, but the child thing I have had to deal with for a very long time.
Yes, that one is really hitting below the belt!:rant::lecture:

we canNOT win this one, i'm afraid.
i have one child and that isn't enough.
"when are you going to have another?" is the most common thing people say to me, more then "hello" even.
sometimes they crouch down and say to my daughter, "tell mommy you want a brother or sister."
yeah, there aren't enough censored smileys to put down here, so i don't think i can express myself "clearly."
sigh
sigh
sigh
at my sister's wedding, i mean she was still in the white dress, etc. at the reception, people started with the baby talk. she went up to the microphone to make her speech and she shut up the 100+ guests right there: "you know, you're all at my wedding, celebrating our happy day, and some of you are already asking about my ovaries. i'm on the pill!" it was crass, it was shocking, but damn it they deserved it.
as for getting married in the first place, i have never ever ever asked anyone this or cared if anyone were getting married and my experience is this - only the really unhappy ones ever pester anyone about that (they're either unhappily married or unhappily single, unhappily something). no one who is happy bothers anyone else about their life. so know that. know it when they open their big fat rude mouths - all you will hear is "i'm unhappy i'm unhappy i'm unhappy" and maybe you will be able to find pity for these pathetic people.
otherwise, make a fist and come out swinging. :graucho:

I think maybe if you are a sensitive person and were taught to have class, it is hard to understand those who don't. However, I am beginning to get the picture that there are a lot of rude insensitive people.

fendigal said:
I think maybe if you are a sensitive person and were taught to have class, it is hard to understand those who don't. However, I am beginning to get the picture that there are a lot of rude insensitive people.

Fendigal, there is a great sense of entitlement in the USA and people believe it is their right to say whatever pops into their head. Since I'm big with the pithy sayings this morning, here's another: "Think twice and speak once!";) These "entitled" folks are the same bozos who come up to you and touch your bag and ask how much it cost:rant:

gracekelly said:
Fendigal, there is a great sense of entitlement in the USA and people believe it is their right to say whatever pops into their head. Since I'm big with the pithy sayings this morning, here's another: "Think twice and speak once!";) These "entitled" folks are the same bozos who come up to you and touch your bag and ask how much it cost:rant:
Interesting point!