Getting A Job at Coach Factory

Firefly32

O.G.
Jul 20, 2008
I have been trying over the summer to just pick up seasonal or part-time with the Coach Factory. Then I finally decided to have a conversation with one of the managers as to where my application is and why no one calls. My background is is in Marketing and working on my masters. I have basically been told after filling out a few apps and speaking with managers that I am educated and over qualified so my applications has been filed away and that there only only looking for employees that are current retail workers. WTH is with that isn't that discrimination?? I am 32 and have worked in many jobs but just not retail as I do have to support myself.

What are your thoughts anyone have this problem with obtaining employment somewhere and get this kind of feedback.....

I actually put in an application recently at my local outlet, too, and have heard nothing. I never did retail either, but Im there weekly, the SA's know me and see that I know my stuff, and I've spoken to two managers about it, but still no call. I was employed for 20+ years in the pharmaceutical industry and am looking for something when both of my kids go to school in Sept - Im going to keep at it, but I was kinda surprised that I didnt even get a phone call either.

Same here I love going to the outlet, I have great relationship with many of the girls and two that I really love there and when I'm there I'm even friendly with some of the customers telling them what great bag they have chosen if it looks good on them. I am someone with personality and very sociable. The one girl there every time I go in she brings over a manager. This time I was pretty straight up with this manager as she tried to brush me off but then I started asking more questions and she finally told me the truth..

I put my application in and never heard anything so then I submitted it again and got a call to interview and I did interview... I have been in retail for almost 3 years so I don't know if that has anything to do with it...

I am still waiting to hear back from them later this week.

I agree that maybe they feel since you have all that higer experiance in other things that you would expect more money- More than Min. wage?

They couldn't even tell me how much per hour it would be when I interviewed! Or how many hours it was! So that kinda irked me...

At the Coach outlet nearest to where I live, most of the SAs are very young around 17 - 20 years old. They also don't have any retail experience evident by their total lack of appropriate customer service (I had one who said this to me, "My God, back again so soon?"). I don't even know they hire as my older sister asked one of the SAs if she can take a look at one of the new Sabrinas. The SA had to ask several other SAs before she found one who knew what a Sabrina was.:hrmm:

So to Firefly32: you're way over qualified.

I see this a different way. I work part time in a retail ladies fashion clothing store - I work there 2 shifts a week at minimum wage because I love the clothes and I get 50% off -THAT'S the main reason I do it - every cent I get (and more) goes back into the company in clothing sales. I also have a blast working there with the ladies, and I love the customer service aspect and helping ladies with the fashion needs.

I had never worked retail before in my life - and I'm in my 40's. My day job is Executive Assistant to the CEO of our company and I'm paid very, very well and informed the store of that when I applied (it was part of the application). We have school teachers and other professionals there part time like me - who are working there mainly for the discount and to fill up some hours since they have the summer off.

My store never looks at anyone as overqualified. If you want to work threre and are willing to accept the salary offered they are good with that. There is a fairly high turnover with the part timers as there are some students and seasonal employees (like when the teachers go back to work in the Fall), but that's just part of the retail business and is expected.

It makes even less sense to me when I see you are looking for seasonal or part time work - that's exactly the kind of people we like to hire at our store. I really don't get why that would be a detriment unless they are only looking to hire full time permanent staff who they want to keep for 10 years, but these days, that isn't the way the world works.

I have been trying over the summer to just pick up seasonal or part-time with the Coach Factory. Then I finally decided to have a conversation with one of the managers as to where my application is and why no one calls. My background is is in Marketing and working on my masters. I have basically been told after filling out a few apps and speaking with managers that I am educated and over qualified so my applications has been filed away and that there only only looking for employees that are current retail workers. WTH is with that isn't that discrimination?? I am 32 and have worked in many jobs but just not retail as I do have to support myself.

What are your thoughts anyone have this problem with obtaining employment somewhere and get this kind of feedback.....

Firefly32...I am in Michigan too, and have been having the SAME problem in trying to find employment...my DH was laid off in June, and while a few companies have made contact with him, none of them seem to be in any rush to get the hiring process going.

I am currently employed but have been on the hunt "for new opportunities" shall we say. Some of those opportunities have included positions that I am over-qualified for, but would be willing to take and work my way back up as the company is an excellent one to work for once you get your foot in the door...

But I have not been getting "the call" either...

Neither of us has had this kind of experience before with the employment search process...we both grew up and spent most of our lives in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, where there always seemed to be employers desperate to find good employees and one never waited long to start a new job. Granted, it has slowed down some in this economy, but not nearly as badly as the entire state of Michigan has.

I think the bottom line is, companies are so concerned with tightening their belts right now, if a potential employee even hints at costing them more than what they think is appropriate for the job, they are immediately passing on that person. Fair? No way. It sucks. But I really have no other rationale for this phenomena happening particularly frequently in this State right now.:shrugs:

Especially in the retail field, employers used to jump at almost every applicant...not so much anymore I guess.:shucks: