Getting A Job at Coach Factory

It's not discrimination if it's based on your education and experience. That's exactly what hiring should be based on. And yes, you can have too much. Working on a Master's degree, they know you are only there temporarily. Turn-around and hiring is costly. They probably want someone who will consider that to be their *actual* job, not just something *temporary* while they're waiting to finish their degree.

That's in a normal economy. In this current near 10% unemployment economy, TONS of people are applying for any job. Too many to be called back.

It's not discrimination if it's based on your education and experience. That's exactly what hiring should be based on. And yes, you can have too much. Working on a Master's degree, they know you are only there temporarily. Turn-around and hiring is costly. They probably want someone who will consider that to be their *actual* job, not just something *temporary* while they're waiting to finish their degree.

That's in a normal economy. In this current near 10% unemployment economy, TONS of people are applying for any job. Too many to be called back.

Very good points, and all true. Sad though, as I found that some of the best employees that worked for me were those part-timers that were technically way over-qualified and over-educated for the position itself, but wanted some extra income or sometimes just to keep themselves busy for whatever reason. They were typically the most reliable and hard working employees.:yes:

^ That makes total sense. Because some of the same personality traits that would drive someone to pursue a higher education (motivation, not afraid of hard work) would also translate to doing a good job in any job.

Yeah, I'm in grad school with a BA and teaching cert. and no one wants to hire me either--they want teenagers for all the part time jobs I want. A few years ago, when I was still in school, I got calls back everywhere I applied. Now I work odd jobs because that's all I can get--regular babysitting, horseback riding instructor, and then anything that gets offered my way (house cleaning, summer camps, pet sitting, house sitting). It's rough right now finding a job :sad: stay optimistic though!

I get the costly turn around but I have been upfront with these managers during my last conversatinos with them. I know a lot about Coach the history, I keep myself updated on the Coach lines and that I am looking for employment for at least a couple of years. I love Coach and buying Coach. This would not interfere with my other job that I just want to work in a place that I love and help ladies find what they love. I need extra income to pay my student loans off basically is why I want to work there. I don't get it it's like what gives. I have been up front and basically letting them know where I stand and what are they looking for, basically I was told, I was NOT IT for them :sad:.

There can be a lot of reasons for not hiring someone. It could just be that they are looking for a certain type of person to fit a certain free spot. And you fit that type. (For whatever reason: personality, education, availability for working, & let face it too: appearance, ethnicity, gender, etc.)

Or maybe they are afraid that you like the brand too much.

Who knows?

But it can't hurt to periodically, and politely continue to follow up.

BTW - which outlet are you looking at in Michigan?

I have been up front and basically letting them know where I stand and what are they looking for, basically I was told, I was NOT IT for them :sad:.

I think you just have to let it go. In this economy, they can pick the candidate who's exactly right for them because of the sheer number of applicants every opening gets. You, for whatever reason, are not that candidate for them, no matter how perfect for the spot you think you are. Good luck, though!

I actually put in an application recently at my local outlet, too, and have heard nothing. I never did retail either, but Im there weekly, the SA's know me and see that I know my stuff, and I've spoken to two managers about it, but still no call. I was employed for 20+ years in the pharmaceutical industry and am looking for something when both of my kids go to school in Sept - Im going to keep at it, but I was kinda surprised that I didnt even get a phone call either.

See I am thinking of doing the same thing as my DD starts Kindergarden next month and I need to find something do do with some of my spare time and it has to be something I like to do. I worked as a credit manager for 10 years before I became a SAHM.

Donna I dont really think Jackson is hiring right now, they just opened and have a ton of SA's there. You should try putting in another application around the holidays for seasonal and then once they see how great you are they might keep you around.

My outlet actually has mostly OLDER SA's, usually between the age's of 30-50 from what I can tell. The Aurora outlet however has mostly younger SA's, I just wonder if some of the managers get an "idea" in their head about what they want their SA's to be like...a certain "image" if you will. WHO KNOW'S?! The gal's at my outlet have told me several times that I should come and work their PT, that they'd love to have me, but I get the feeling it would be the same situation as YOU, no return calls! KWIM?!

I may be cynical, but the manager could be worried that you'd take her job! LOL I'm sorry they won't hire you. Have you tried one of the dept. stores around you? My mom got a job at Dillard's (she's a nurse) when she was in between jobs.

Unfortunately it is kind of a buyers market out there when it comes to employees and they've got their pick.

Don't give though on Coach. Try a boutique as a seasonal that's how I got in/

PS--I feel your pain, I got rejected by Borders and I've got a Master's Degree in English plus retail experience, don't know how much more qualified than you can get than that for a book store!