Garden party 36 or Bolide 35

GP36 or Bolide 35 ?

• Total voters

ML2095

O.G.
Feb 17, 2010
Pls help me choose, I cannot decide which one to go for. I plan to use for work, daily, travel and shopping. I have separate bag for laptop and water bottle.

What works better for you functionally? I prefer a GP but it has negatives.

A bolide will close and has a strap, a GP won’t fully close with no strap.

Bolide 35 has less space due to shape. GP opens fully at the top so it’s easier to see and find items.

Bolide 35 has feet on the bottom and a GP does not.

Bolide is leather lined and GP is a light canvas so could get dirty easily. Some GPs also lose shape depending on how it is cared for.

Not voting because they are totally different bags and you can't go wrong.

GP is a tote with a snap closure, so it's always a bit open. You can carry it on your shoulder, if you are fairly petite AND if it's not full, otherwise it's hand/arm carry. It holds quite a bit more than the Bolide. You can fit A4 papers and a laptop etc etc. It MAY be duplicative if, as you say, you already have a work tote. Canvas GP can double as a beach bag. I have three GP36 and I love them BUT I use them to carry laptops and work stuff.

Bolide is a bit less casual, not a tote, obviously it zips closed and obviously you have a strap option. I feel like you can more easily get away with a Bolide at dinner whereas a GP is always going to look like you took your work bag out (which is not a bad thing - this USED to be normal!). Even Bolide 35 holds less than GP 36 (the PM size). I don't have a Bolide 35 atm but I have a 30 and used to have a 31, and it's just the most classic, gorgeous bag IMO.

for work, daily, travel and shopping
I guess GP is more practical for all of the above

However, I prefer the bolide. If one is a shortie like me, I think a 30/31 is better and lighter.
Especially if you already have another work bag for the laptop etc.

Both could work; no wrong answer! Have fun deciding

ETA: I thought the bolide 35 and 37 have been discontinued, but plenty are available
On the secondary market

I have both and agree that if you already have a work bag you're happy with I'd vote for a Bolide. In addition to the absence of feet on the GP, because of it's lack of structure at the bottom if you load it up moderately it will slouch at the base, and I'm not a fan of this look (you could get a shaper/insert to help with this). And if you really load it up often, I think the straps will start to stretch; I don't think it's designed to carry serious weight on a continuous basis. Finally, I agree with @QuelleFromage and @880, and @Neeya above, I think the Bolide is a more versatile bag; it can carry you through the day and into the evening.

As the 35/37 Bolide has been discontinute, and there are quite a few fans of that size, the secondary markent isn't, shall we say, as fulsome as one might like. Depending on how you anticipate using each bag as well a what other bags you have available, I might go with @880's suggestion of a smaller size because there are other (and potentially better) options for a work tote if you don't want to spring for two expensive bags.

I find the GP useful for a day of shopping for example, where you don't want to lug a Birkin 35 and you're carrying relatively light but bulky items; you can really cram stuff into the GP (sweater, shawl, multiple packages).

ETA: desparately trying to fix the formatting here....

Last edited:
Pls help me choose, I cannot decide which one to go for. I plan to use for work, daily, travel and shopping. I have separate bag for laptop and water bottle.
I have both and in those sizes.

Bolide good for:
Work, daily & travel
Nice shopping OK, but not groceries or chore/high-street shopping. The opening of a Bolide is a one-way zip and doesn't open all the way down the sides (some brand''s dome bags do) Although you can leave the bag unzipped and open and have it somewhat filled beyond what it holds zipped, overfilled, and you'll be pulling the handles together whilst forcing the 'wedge' open with stuff.

Closed and zipped it becomes very smart, bonus when you need that kind of look for work or occasion, and plus you have a nice strap.

GP good for:
Work, daily, travel & shopping - but it has a more casual vibe even if both in a more 'casual' leather. People obsess over a strap, but you wouldn't want one, nor the rolled handles over your shoulder, the bag's too wide. It's very strong though and can hold a lot, very good for a travel bag. You can buy a base or make one, and in VN the bottom doesn't really sag. No feet though (if I put it down, I put it between my feet (I try not to put any of my bags on the floor anyway, not even if they have feet).

They're both great and would equally make a great everyday bag.

When I hear work, travel, and daily, I think of a workhorse type of bag. For that I’d go GP… for one it’s much less expensive so you won’t feel the need to baby it and there’s just less going on that can be damaged or worn out. I have the Bolide 31 and while it’s not super fancy, there’s enough going on that I feel like I need to be more careful with it.

ETA: The only thing that gives me pause is you say you already have a separate bag for laptop. The GP is handheld only so if you need to carry 2 hand-held bags then for sure I’d rather go Bolide so you can wear one over your shoulder.

My Bolides (I have 31 and 25s) are elegant, practical, secure with the zipped closure. The 31 fits a lot and is great for everyday use, work and travel. It’s amongst my most versatile bags and I mentally put it in my workhorse category. Since you already have a separate laptop bag, I’d say go with the Bolide which will add more versatility IMO. But you can’t go wrong!

Dear ladies, thanks for your comment, just to mention, the available are etoupe garden party 36, rouge casaque bolide 35.

What I have already own,
Garden party 30, Evelyn mini, Evelyn PM, all Noir.

I also own from other brands the following, medium Dior lady, Chanel medium flap, Chanel Woc, Chanel GST, Lv Epi Alma PM, Gucci soho disco bag, all in black color. And a few more LV Never full PM, YSL WOC in beige and clutch in black.

I am 5’3, normal build.

What works better for you functionally? I prefer a GP but it has negatives.

A bolide will close and has a strap, a GP won’t fully close with no strap.

Bolide 35 has less space due to shape. GP opens fully at the top so it’s easier to see and find items.

Bolide 35 has feet on the bottom and a GP does not.

Bolide is leather lined and GP is a light canvas so could get dirty easily. Some GPs also lose shape depending on how it is cared for.

I want to tag reply but not sure how to do it. Anyway. My options will be different from my existing collection , which I shared in this thread … which are all black

Dear ladies, thanks for your comment, just to mention, the available are etoupe garden party 36, rouge casaque bolide 35.

What I have already own,
Garden party 30, Evelyn mini, Evelyn PM, all Noir.

I also own from other brands the following, medium Dior lady, Chanel medium flap, Chanel Woc, Chanel GST, Lv Epi Alma PM, Gucci soho disco bag, all in black color. And a few more LV Never full PM, YSL WOC in beige and clutch in black.

I am 5’3, normal build.
I’m about your height. I have a GP36. It is quite bulky and can be very heavy when stuffed. The upside is l can stuff everything in it, including a laptop and change of clothes. The snap closure can be undone to fill the bag. But for practical purposes, you can’t stuff it if you are going to carry it around for very long. It also looks funny when shoulder carried because the straps are not really that long. Your armpits will look suffocated, 😆. Can’t comment about the bolide as l don’t own one.
Also wanted to add that in your case, you might want to consider colour preferences. I personally prefer a neutral colour for larger bags

• Insightful
Reactions: 880 and ML2095