French Ladies: Style, aura, what is it?

I was just in Paris a couple months ago, and I didn't see many fabulously stylish people :shrugs: The style was far better in New York and other cities IMO. The most stylish people in Paris were well to do British tourists.

I was just in Paris a couple months ago, and I didn't see many fabulously stylish people :shrugs: The style was far better in New York and other cities IMO. The most stylish people in Paris were well to do British tourists.

I just came back from Paris and I agree with you CuTe_ClAsSy; fitted blazers and Isabel Marant dicker boots does not equal stylish. But they do have a preference for a classic look that I love and how the freak do they stay so skinny because their butter is delicious!

i honestly think it's the life style...everything counts but it's the way they live - walking a lot, the portion of food. they don't have "super size" meals.
when i was in HK, starbucks had those mini size coffee which was a small and their medium is US size small. everything is sized up here....

Summer style in Paris is still...a summer dress coton, typically the button shirt dress, in a clean white or pastel color. Or the "saharienne", same concept but came, beige, or khaki. or anything romantic : a skirt with a short sleeves shirt/tshirt/tank top.
Or capri pants. really it hasn´t changed for the past 20 years.

I just came back from Paris and I agree with you CuTe_ClAsSy; fitted blazers and Isabel Marant dicker boots does not equal stylish. But they do have a preference for a classic look that I love and how the freak do they stay so skinny because their butter is delicious!
I think what we find stylish (or not) is truly personal! When I went to NYC I was totally blown away by the classic americana style. Beautiful.

But I must say that Parisian style annoy me because :
1-I must admit they are incredibly understated chic ! Sometimes I can´t figure out what it is, that girl with bed head no make up and clothes in boring muted earthy tones....so I need to take a very close look. Then I find out she played with the fiting(perfect contrasting loose and tight), she does have make up (it´s just hiding imperfections and natural), she played with layers ! layering !, she´s accessorizing : long scarf, bracelets, cool bag.....basically she owns her look and her clothes. They don´t own her. It´s not about wearing Isabel Marant from head to toe.
2-A negative...there is a LOT of judgement. So everybody is so fn CONSERVATIVE ! all do the same, all sport the same hair, the same neutral colors.

And the reason why people are thin is 1-genetics (esp the higher classes) 2-walk a LOT 3-on a constant diet. 4-there are different kinds of "bad" fatty food. a bit of fat butter pure, is still better than the heavy mayo sauce in a sandwich. still less processed food.

Summer style in Paris is still...a summer dress coton, typically the button shirt dress, in a clean white or pastel color. Or the "saharienne", same concept but came, beige, or khaki. or anything romantic : a skirt with a short sleeves shirt/tshirt/tank top.
Or capri pants. really it hasn´t changed for the past 20 years.

Mellecyn!!:flowers:I hope living in Paris is going well!!!

I spoke to a french girl the other day who told me that the key to french style comes under a few factors:
1. Balance. If she wants to wear a dramatic poofy skirt then she pairs it with a hat so she never looks top heavy or bottom heavy. The same goes for colours, if she wants to wear red shoes, then she wears a red scarf or hair accessory and muted tones in the rest of her outfit.
2. As I think someone earlier said, she told me that it is really important to wear not necessarily tight or figure-flaunting clothes, but clothes which fit well and are well tailored.
3. She told me that every piece should scream your personality and that you shouldn't buy generic 'basics'.
4. She also admitted that a lot of stylish women in France wear heels in daily life, moreso than the English do.

I'm going to Paris at the beginning of next summer, I'm going to start buying my clothes and planning outfits this summer though as I won't have a chance to next year.

My neighbor was French and she always looked put together, even to do the garden. From what I saw of her style it was very simple yet elegant. She wore classics like a white linen shirt with jeans but paired it up with cute ballet flats and a nice necklace. Her hair and makeup was simple and more to the natural side, yet she looked better then the women with tons of makeup. It was as if she did not try to be stylish yet she was. Another thing is she had a great scarf collection. I guess everyone has their own idea of what style is. I think it is how you put the whole look together. Like my mom would say less is more. I see so many friends walking around with way too much going on. My friends also seem to like the bling and glitter a bit too much. I myself have tried to buy white T-shirts (good quality) and pair them with other things while using accessories as the pop of color. When you have too much going on in your outfit is is distracting, same goes with makeup and hair.

Mellecyn!!:flowers:I hope living in Paris is going well!!!
Lol Thanks I wish ! (I don´t live in Paris, I´m just a french expat...)

I spoke to a french girl the other day who told me that the key to french style comes under a few factors:
1. Balance. If she wants to wear a dramatic poofy skirt then she pairs it with a hat so she never looks top heavy or bottom heavy. The same goes for colours, if she wants to wear red shoes, then she wears a red scarf or hair accessory and muted tones in the rest of her outfit.
2. As I think someone earlier said, she told me that it is really important to wear not necessarily tight or figure-flaunting clothes, but clothes which fit well and are well tailored.
3. She told me that every piece should scream your personality and that you shouldn't buy generic 'basics'.
4. She also admitted that a lot of stylish women in France wear heels in daily life, moreso than the English do.

I'm going to Paris at the beginning of next summer, I'm going to start buying my clothes and planning outfits this summer though as I won't have a chance to next year.
That´s really interesting because the French I know are ALL about buiyng basics ! A lot of them (Petit Bateau t shirts) and then have a few unique/trendy pieces of the present season.
I like the example of the french neighbour gardening casual chic! TBH I admire more the style of my friend´s mothers than our generation´s. And Grandmas even more!!
They have this discipline, they make the effort. with their little secrets...not like us who don´t give a sh*t sometimes.
And their little secrets : find the right fit, dress for your shape, colors & pattern match, no naked neck...from the women magazines I remember reading about the "subtle sexy" (sensual) of showing little bit of skin places you don´t expect, an ankle is sexy, a neck is sexy...naked under an oversize cashmere sweater is sexy...etc...
I also must say a lot of my upbringing was more about maneers and being feminine.
Your way of walking (grandmas said shouldn´t sound like an elephant tapping your heels, but lightly and graciously like a gazelle), how you sit, how you speak and your voice, don´t laugh out too loud in public places, don´t be vulgar and masculine...
I think that discretion is what cuts it, if you put 2 women side by side both wearing something as simple as jeans, converse and tshirt.

And BTW the time we spend getting ready....I lived with several nationalities of girls. The French will be the ones rushing and running through the flat and ready in 30 min. They´re always late. Nationalities of the north will spend 1 hour. perfection in hair and make up.
Another thing I admire (and don´t know how they ahieve it and are motivated) is they never give up on their style while aging !!!
Again other nationalities once they hit 30 or motherhood there is a total letting go/careless. (laissez aller..)

Last edited: